Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

oil low

Writing this from the lake...

Last week in some *extremely* choppy water, my oil pressure alarm went off for a couple of seconds. I immediately turned off the engine, waited a minute, then started it. PSI was normal, so I chalked it up to the boat bouncing so hard.

Well, today it went off when I took a sharp turn. Brought it to the lift, let it cool a bit, then checked the dipstick. Barely any reading at all! Yikes!

This boat (2000 SS LXi) is new to me, but is in pristine condition. The previous owner was a fanatic. I hate to question anything he did b/c this boat is soooo clean for its age and engine hours (932), but there was about 3/4 of a quart of Penzoil racing oil - 10w-50 - left to me along with some new impellers and other goodies. So I poured in the penzoil, which raised me solidly up to "add" on the dipstick. It wasn't until I realized I needed more than the 3/4 of a quart that I consulted the manual. Uh, oh. 10w-50 is not the correct viscosity.

Well, now I'm just got back from Walmart with some Mobile-1 5w-40 "turbo diesel" full synthetic. It meets all the specs for the Indmar 325H Monsoon that I found online.

BTW, I bought this boat from a Malibu dealer. The previous owner traded it in toward a new 'bu. The dealer prep'd it for the season, and I've no idea what kind of oil they used. I assume Marine 5w-40 (dino), probably Penzoil as recommended in the manual.

With all of that background out of the way, here are my questions:

- Is it terrible to add 3/4 of a quart of the penzoil racing oil bequeathed to me plus whatever I'll need to add of the M-1 synthetic? Not ideal, I know, but I just need to "get by" for tomorrow. Full oil change will be done next week.

- Is it common for these engines to burn oil like this? I've put 44 hours on the engine since taking delivery from the dealer in April.

I'm basically worried that 1) running for however many hours I've run since the 1st alarm sounded last week has caused premature wear, and 2) topping off the engine with 2 kinds of oil is somehow "bad." Nothing I can do about #1, I know.

I realize oil is a touchy subject, but also know that synthetic oil is just dino + additives. So, I'm not too worried about adding M-1 to whatever's in there. Heck, Ford's recommended oil for my F-150 is a "blend." Dunno about that higher viscosity Penzoil, though.

Can anyone allay my fears so I can enjoy the day, tomorrow?

Edited by slap
martinarcher

Writing this from the lake...

Last week in some *extremely* choppy water, my oil pressure alarm went off for a couple of seconds. I immediately turned off the engine, waited a minute, then started it. PSI was normal, so I chalked it up to the boat bouncing so hard.

Well, today it went off when I took a sharp turn. Brought it to the lift, let it cool a bit, then checked the dipstick. Barely any reading at all! Yikes!

This boat (2000 SS LXi) is new to me, but is in pristine condition. The previous owner was a fanatic. I hate to question anything he did b/c this boat is soooo clean for its age and engine hours (932), but there was about 3/4 of a quart of Penzoil racing oil - 10w-50 - left to me along with some new impellers and other goodies. So I poured in the penzoil, which raised me solidly up to "add" on the dipstick. It wasn't until I realized I needed more than the 3/4 of a quart that I consulted the manual. Uh, oh. 10w-50 is not the correct viscosity.

Well, now I'm just got back from Walmart with some Mobile-1 5w-40 "turbo diesel" full synthetic. It meets all the specs for the Indmar 325H Monsoon that I found online.

BTW, I bought this boat from a Malibu dealer. The previous owner traded it in toward a new 'bu. The dealer prep'd it for the season, and I've no idea what kind of oil they used. I assume Marine 5w-40 (dino), probably Penzoil as recommended in the manual.

With all of that background out of the way, here are my questions:

- Is it terrible to add 3/4 of a quart of the penzoil racing oil bequeathed to me plus whatever I'll need to add of the M-1 synthetic? Not ideal, I know, but I just need to "get by" for tomorrow. Full oil change will be done next week.

- Is it common for these engines to burn oil like this? I've put 44 hours on the engine since taking delivery from the dealer in April.

I'm basically worried that 1) running for however many hours I've run since the 1st alarm sounded last week has caused premature wear, and 2) topping off the engine with 2 kinds of oil is somehow "bad." Nothing I can do about #1, I know.

I realize oil is a touchy subject, but also know that synthetic oil is just dino + additives. So, I'm not too worried about adding M-1 to whatever's in there. Heck, Ford's recommended oil for my F-150 is a "blend." Dunno about that higher viscosity Penzoil, though.

Can anyone allay my fears so I can enjoy the day, tomorrow?

I wouldn't mix oil, but mixed oil is sure better than no or really low oil. LOL.gif

Can you not change the oil tomorrow morning and fill her up with your Mobil 1.

You should be changing your oil every 50 hours so being a quart low at 44 hours isn't anything I would be freaking out over. If I were you I would just keep a bit better tabs on the oil level going forward and keep her topped off. I usually check mine every other time we go out along with the tranny fluid.

Edited by martinarcher

Oh, drive it tomorrow just don't drive it WFO, take it easy, then Change the oil, drink a beer and move on. Some things are better left alone., Just my 2 cents worth. Oh, and check the oil before the start of each trip to the lake.

Edited by Bozboat

If I were you I would just keep a bit better tabs on the oil level going forward and keep her topped off. I usually check mine every other time we go out along with the tranny fluid.

This is my first boat, and I didn't grow up with 'em... so I'm *really* a newb. I'm definitely adding these to my pre-launch checklist.

As for changing the oil, I can if you tell me it's as easy as doing it in a car? There's no drain plug, obviously, so I have to buy one of those extractor things? Can it be done while on a lift? i.e. Where does the extractor put the old oil? Spilling it on the carpet would be tragic.

Can I pick up an extractor at Walmart or Autozone, or do I have to go fork over 1/2 my salary to West Marine (gag, choke - I hate that place).

I would definitely feel better starting my engine with 1 kind of oil in it, to be sure.

Oh, besides the oil extractor thing, what about the filter? When I take the filters on my cars and trucks they make one hell of a mess. How does one keep the filter from leaking oil into the bilge area?

One more really dumb newb question. What kind of air filter do these Indmar engines require, and do they need replacing mid-season? I know there's not much dirt/dust out on the water, but I always inspect my cars/truck air filters when I change the oil and replace if needed.

Thanks!

martinarcher

This is my first boat, and I didn't grow up with 'em... so I'm *really* a newb. I'm definitely adding these to my pre-launch checklist.

As for changing the oil, I can if you tell me it's as easy as doing it in a car? There's no drain plug, obviously, so I have to buy one of those extractor things? Can it be done while on a lift? i.e. Where does the extractor put the old oil? Spilling it on the carpet would be tragic.

Can I pick up an extractor at Walmart or Autozone, or do I have to go fork over 1/2 my salary to West Marine (gag, choke - I hate that place).

I would definitely feel better starting my engine with 1 kind of oil in it, to be sure.

Oh, besides the oil extractor thing, what about the filter? When I take the filters on my cars and trucks they make one hell of a mess. How does one keep the filter from leaking oil into the bilge area?

One more really dumb newb question. What kind of air filter do these Indmar engines require, and do they need replacing mid-season? I know there's not much dirt/dust out on the water, but I always inspect my cars/truck air filters when I change the oil and replace if needed.

Thanks!

No worries - we're here to help. We were all new at this once!

It is almost as easy as your car. Warm it up and drain the oil and change the filter. Fresh oil on the new filter gasket before it goes on (be sure you get the old gasket off). Fill with fresh oil and enjoy.

As far as draining the oil, not sure if your boat has a drain hose or not. Some of the newer boats have a little rubber hose connected to the drain plug. This hose has a little valve to allow the oil to drain. The hose then loops around the back of the engine and usually clips along the valve cover when not in use. You can route this hose through the center bilge drain hole and drain the engine oil through the bottom of the hull. Run you hand along the oil pan and find out if your engine has a drain hose.

If not, your in the same boat as me. I use one of these extractors. It works like a champ. Not sure if Wal Mart sells anything like them. I usually cover my boat's interior around the engine with blankets before beginning the oil change in case I would drip a bit of oil.

A good tip on the oil filter is to use a plastic bag. Wrap the oil filter in the bag after you have broke it loose. Unscrew it with the bag around the filter and it will really keep the mess to a minimum.

Good luck! Thumbup.gif

Edited by martinarcher

No worries - we're here to help. We were all new at this once

Thanks, guys. I ended up overpaying west marine for an extractor and changing the oil. The plastic bag trick worked great for the filter!

Only odd thing was that there seem to be two oil fill locations? Why is that? I filled the one next to the dipstick that says "engine oil". The one on the other side has a Pennzoil cap with the viscosity printed on it. What's up with that?

Thanks, guys. I ended up overpaying west marine for an extractor and changing the oil. The plastic bag trick worked great for the filter!

Only odd thing was that there seem to be two oil fill locations? Why is that? I filled the one next to the dipstick that says "engine oil". The one on the other side has a Pennzoil cap with the viscosity printed on it. What's up with that?

It was probably easier to make only one style of rocker cover and use it on both sides of the engine.

martinarcher

Cool. Glad to hear you got it changed. Repeat every 50 hours. Thumbup.gif

electricjohn is right. Both valve covers are identical and both have a fill cap. Doesn't matter which one you dump it in - it all goes to the pan eventually.

Have fun out there today!