Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

new power plug for boat

hyperlitenerd

In my boat the plug for any accessories like a fat sac pump is on the starboard, but filling fat sacs on the port side the hose and the power cord are stretched almost to their limits. So with the go ahead from the father, I want to put a plug somewhere in the back of the boat. So I am here with a few questions.

1. Can I splice into the wire in the existing one? Will I over load it if I have two things pluged into it?

2. Where can I get get one? A marine one would be ideal, with a rubber cover.

3. Where to put it??

4. What do I need to do to make it boat safe?

Thanks in advance!

most automotive store or marine supply store should have what you are looking for. I believe that you can just splice it in to the existing wiring. Use wire connectors of some sort and wrap in electrical tape and you will be set. I am not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but these could work also.

Plugs

more plugs

Yeah thats just what i am looking for. Now, where to put it... in one of the lockers, under one of the seats, i just dont know.

Wire it off the battery and fuse it CLOSE to the battery if you want it hot all the time.

Wire it off the switch and fuse it CLOSE to the switch if you want it only on with the switch.

I wouldn't wire into the other plug, there might be a time you want to connect pumps in both plugs and it might be too much for the breaker.

I would put it on the other side from where it is. Do you have one in the glove box?

West Marine has marine grade plugs. I agree with Ronnie, wire it directly to your battery with a fuse....and I'd locate it as far back on the port side that you can.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...productId=32939

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store.../-1/10001/30763

they also have the flush mount receptacles like in jetski's link.

West Marine has marine grade plugs. I agree with Ronnie, wire it directly to your battery with a fuse....and I'd locate it as far back on the port side that you can.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...productId=32939

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store.../-1/10001/30763

they also have the flush mount receptacles like in jetski's link.

I added an extra SS plug like these into the rear of my arm rest. It is perfect. We also picked up a stretch extension cord that allows us to reach anywhere in the boat. I added a power junctions block under the dash for these kind of extras and to give better supply to some of the stock stuff.

Arm Rest

Edited by Sunsetter95

Sunsetter. That looks clean install and user friendly.

I would go with Ronnie idea

Wire it off the battery and fuse it CLOSE to the battery if you want it hot all the time.

As for the were. Think about putting it in the center rear between the two speakers and that would be in front of the trans. That way no one has to get up off there seat. I also like Sunsetters set up but with the LSV I would put it in on front side of the port rear locker.

Things you would need to do. Drill a hole Shocking.gif no big deal.

mount a flush type plug. Run your wires from the Bat. Have a inline fuse with the right fuse, I would think a 10amp would do.

The underneat the middle seat, on top of the transmition, is a good place! I wonder where the wirring harness is, and if it is easy to access it so I can just elctrical tape onto it. Oh and I dont mind drilling a hole, since its not through the hull.

Thats what I ment, but then run it along the path the rest of the wire takes, you know for a cleaner install.

If you have an extra acc switch on the dash, you can hook it up to that. Just need to check the breaker size.

I had re-wire my dash, so I added several "fused" switches from stock, one for the outlet to fill the ballast. Easy access when you have a boat load is what you need. Keep that in mind.

That 4' extension that you guys are looking at is perfect. I think I'm just going to buy an extension cord. That'd solve 1/2 my problems. It'd be nice to have another though, then we could run two pumps at once.

The extension cord idea though is great. I'm buying one of those tomorrow.

Sorry for the hi-jack, but is it possible for the factory to wire the outlets wrong? I have blown a few phone chargers that worked fine in cars, but completely quit working once plugged in on the boat. Any suggestions on how to track down whether they are wired correctly?

Not to offend you, but was it in all the way? Ours is very picky, has to be in all the way, and almost held in to have a contection.

Sorry for the hi-jack, but is it possible for the factory to wire the outlets wrong? I have blown a few phone chargers that worked fine in cars, but completely quit working once plugged in on the boat. Any suggestions on how to track down whether they are wired correctly?

you don't need to be a rocket scientist to wire these things into your boat:

38699.gif

The flat spade connector on the outer shell is connected to the Negative battery terminal and the round connector in the center of the rear of the 12 Volt Receptacle is connected to the Positive terminal. You can put an inline 15 amp fuse somewhere between the round connector and the battery for safety.

....It'd be nice to have another though, then we could run two pumps at once.

Marinco makes a better quality receptacle than what you would find at Radio Shack or the RV store.

This Item would let you drive two 12V items

12vad.jpg

Their twist lock 12V connector will give you a good solid connection without having to hold the plug in the receptacle.

connectp.jpg

Marinco makes really Pro Grade stuff. I added a cig outlet below the throttle, actually in front of the throttle. You can't see it, it's for my Ipod charger/adapter. I switched it using the stereo dash switch. Ipod goes into pause then to sleep when it loses power while plugged in. I also added one inside the glove box and changed out the crappy one the factory had at the rear seat.

P

as mentioned before; don't overlook the fuse. it's important.

use wire that is rated above the rating of the fuse.

solder and heatshrink tubing would be best. a boat is not spark tolerant.

i think the battery runs directly to the starter so if the starter is closer to the outlet location use the starter as a source.

Edited by tvano
i think the battery runs directly to the starter so if the starter is closer to the outlet location use the starter as a source.

There is a cable that runs from the battery to the starter solenoid and then on to the starter. Connect it to the battery side of the solenoid or you will only have power when the key is turned to start position,

Edited by MoonDawg