Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does Anyone have a Great Surf Wake using '08 247

KiloBravo

Hello. I have a '08 247 Wakesetter. I'm currently using Fly high fat sacs. I have the 1100 pounder in the left rear surf locker. the 1000 pounder L shaped bag on top of the left corner seat. and a 380 pound surf sac under the seats left side slid all the way down touching the one in the rear locker. Additionally to those bags I have all the factory tanks. Ive tried just about every config. Power Wedge up, down, 2 clicks up, Leaving right side empty, Leaving center half full, ect,ect. In all cases I am surfing without the rope But I'm too damn close to the boat..

I'm 6FT 200 LBS. seems like the best wave I have obtained is filling all Four factory tanks full then filling all the sacs for the lean but Im still surfing 1 to 3 feet from the platform. will another 380 in the bow make a difference? I'm allready a little over the MAX placarded weight.

Anyone with my scenario out there With a '08 247 getting a good long wave and surfing further back like the videos you see on U-tube? Thanks..

Edited by KiloBravo

Bow weight lenghthens the wave you should easily be able to ride 15 feet behind your boat.

For reference my 08 vtx we put 550 in the rear plus the stock tank full on surf side.

Mid tank full.

Another 550 in the bow PLUS a person at least 120 lbs.

Wedge 11 o'clock and any people behind the driver and on the sundeck pn surf side.

The board also makes a huge diff my venture and tsunami have to be way closer to the boat for me to have hard push at 200 lbs. My inland surfer sweet spot rides fast and hard way further back.

Try moving some of that weight forward move the 380 to the bow and see what that will do for you. also you can use people inthe bow to help move the CG forward.

You have a lot of weight so just move it around some.

REW

speeding up will also lengthen it out a little...that's a lot of wieght in the corner so def need to go a little faster but I agree move some forward and do NOT fill the other side MLS. Search for Stanley wheelhouse posts and pictures. Biggest wave I've ever seen. Your hull is the same and capable of the same.

I Have tried moving the 380 from under the seat to the bow and that did not do much. I went to Home Depot and bought a 37 Gallon Rubbermaid storage container. I'm going place that left side bow, fill it up and duct tape the lid on it. 37 Gal x 8lbs per gallon gives me 296lbs up there plus the Factory Bow tank at 350lbs. going to slide the 380 pounder under the seat more to the front. Center tank full at 600lbs. left tank full at 250lbs. right tank empty. W718 bag on the left corner seat 1000lbs and the W719 bag left rear locker at about 1000lbs.

Going to give that a try tonight.

Even with the other configurations I have tried test driving the boat and looking at the wake and it seems pretty big to me but when I get myself out there I sink. Got to pull my self right up close to the platform within 5 feet to surf ropless. mabey its the CWB board I am using.

Ill try and post a picture of my wave tonight...

Im using the CWB Ride board. been looking at the Inland Surfer Red Rocket Quad or Swallow V2 Quad.

Thanks for all your advise, Cheers......

Edited by KiloBravo
  • 2 weeks later...

Kilo-- Post some pics....of both your wake underway and your setup. You are running PLENTY of weight. I run almost exactly what you are..

What speed are you running at? With all that weight you should be in the 11.2 -12mph range, wedge 1-2 clicks back up from the bottom lock position. Surfside ballast full, center 1/2 to 3/4 full, front tank full +1 extra guy up there. Also is best when your gas tank if 3/4 or less...that full tank fights you in getting that hard lean on your surf side.

200lbs you are fine, not till you get into the 225+ that it really starts to slow you down... also look at your board selection, that does make a huge difference, you should be on a fast agressive board...

This is running a little slower, like 10.8 mph or so....

5778603133_ee629230df_z.jpg

I hope this helps you create a monsta........ yes haters i know you have seen the pic before

Adam1.jpg

Adam2.jpg

Your boat is very capable!!!!! If you are going to surf please move your fuel vent. I suggest the somewhere by the driver side tie down clete. Otherwise water will get into your fuel and........

The picture of the wave was created by a 2010 247 with the Corvette LS3 Motor.

The factory ballast is 1450 Lbs. to the best of my knowledge

The configuration for the wave in the picture is

Factory Center and Rear Left Full

247 Custom Surf Sac 1600LBS

Fly High Tube Sac that has max capacity of 380Lbs under observers seat. (we get 300 out of the sac due to space constraints)

There is also a four hundred pound sac on the seat. it is not necessary but my crew is sick like that. However it is necessary when the boat has a tone of people because lets face it. Rarely do VAB's sit and stay where you want them too.

The wedge is at the very top of the safe operation white arc. The needle on the wedge gauge would point to the 12 o ' clock position.

Speed is 10.4-10.8.

Speed in picture is 10.8.

That pic was taken on the Trinity river. That river for some reason produces the best surf wave. 30 feet on average depth.

We ride in Texas.

PS all ballast except for optional sac on the seat are nice and tucked away under the seats or in the storage compartments. All storage compartments get completely filled and we actually had to remove the compartments on the rear engine hatch doors on both sides. All ballast drain and fill at the flip of a switch on the way to and on the way home from our surf spots. LEGIT..

Big Jay has done the install on two of our rigs now. He is talented and very good at making the install look factory.

WheelhouseRockon.gifRockon.gifRockon.gifRockon.gif

Kilo, as others have said you have plenty of weight and it's pretty well distributed. We need to see some pics of the wake, preferably with a rider on it. My best guess is that maybe you aren't getting enough push on your board to ride back that far. We had a 10 year old ropeless on our 5'6" broadcast on Friday and he was surfing over 20' back in the wash with no problem. However, I wouldn't be able to ride back there. The larger the rider, the bigger the board and generally the more push you need.

You didn't list your speed, but you should probably be starting at 10.8 and going up to see where you get the best pocket.

Rarely do VAB's sit and stay where you want them too.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. :D

Never fill the non-surf side ballast and be very careful of people on the wrong side of the boat. Picture your boat balancing on an axis. If one 150 pound person moves to the opposite side, you need 300 pounds on the surf side just to keep the same wake. Filling your right ballast for a regular rider means you need 500 pounds on the surf side just to maintain. I have put some lead along the left side toward the front and I never fill the front ballast completely, because it puts all the weight in the center. Unless we have a ton of people in the very back of the back I don't fill the front at all. If people are hanging out back there I will dump some from the surf sac and fill the front 1/2 way or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this helps you create a monsta........ yes haters i know you have seen the pic before

Adam1.jpg

Adam2.jpg

Your boat is very capable!!!!! If you are going to surf please move your fuel vent. I suggest the somewhere by the driver side tie down clete. Otherwise water will get into your fuel and........

The picture of the wave was created by a 2010 247 with the Corvette LS3 Motor.

The factory ballast is 1450 Lbs. to the best of my knowledge

The configuration for the wave in the picture is

Factory Center and Rear Left Full

247 Custom Surf Sac 1600LBS

Fly High Tube Sac that has max capacity of 380Lbs under observers seat. (we get 300 out of the sac due to space constraints)

There is also a four hundred pound sac on the seat. it is not necessary but my crew is sick like that. However it is necessary when the boat has a tone of people because lets face it. Rarely do VAB's sit and stay where you want them too.

The wedge is at the very top of the safe operation white arc. The needle on the wedge gauge would point to the 12 o ' clock position.

Speed is 10.4-10.8.

Speed in picture is 10.8.

That pic was taken on the Trinity river. That river for some reason produces the best surf wave. 30 feet on average depth.

We ride in Texas.

PS all ballast except for optional sac on the seat are nice and tucked away under the seats or in the storage compartments. All storage compartments get completely filled and we actually had to remove the compartments on the rear engine hatch doors on both sides. All ballast drain and fill at the flip of a switch on the way to and on the way home from our surf spots. LEGIT..

Big Jay has done the install on two of our rigs now. He is talented and very good at making the install look factory.

WheelhouseRockon.gifRockon.gifRockon.gifRockon.gif

Stanley,

I have noticed that you appear to use full wedge (100%) while most others have wedge in the vertical position (0%) or a few clicks up. I have found that the wave will wash going any higher. Am I correct in understanding you are using max wedge? It apprears that you are not getting any wash at this position....

This is not a great wave, but is quite respectable. The wife got anxious and jumped in before the 1300 pound sac was full. I would estimate it is only about 900 pounds of ballast plus the people you see. 2006 247...same hull. Picture was not taken to accentuate the wave much. Totally bad angle, and the kids' head is in the way, but you get some idea.

'Move that big noggin, looks like an orange on a toothpick!'

2011_0620AA.jpg

Edited by TallRedRider

Sorry took so long. been away from home for a while. Heres a link a couple of videos of my wake with Fly high fat sacs. I have the 1100 pounder in the left rear surf locker. the 1000 pounder L shaped bag on top of the left corner seat. and a 380 pound surf sac under the seats left side slid all the way down touching the one in the rear locker. Additionally to those bags I have all the factory tanks

http://gallery.me.com/kennethboni#100070

• 1 month later...

Stanley,

I have noticed that you appear to use full wedge (100%) while most others have wedge in the vertical position (0%) or a few clicks up. I have found that the wave will wash going any higher. Am I correct in understanding you are using max wedge? It apprears that you are not getting any wash at this position....

yes wedge at 100%or 12 oclock. due to weight in boat/ speed and position of boat the wedge has to be at 100% to get max wedge/ weight out of wedge which will help open up the pocket and take out the lines in the pocket. speed gives you the length and running at 10.8 mph the wedge has to be at 100% alot of people run at speeds of 9.6 and will do wedge all the way down and 2 clicks up. if all this makes since.