Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

newbie introduction, and questions

wallyg

Hello, I am new to the forum as well as a new owner of a 1984 skier (ford/pcm 351w /velvet drive), something about the old skier's has always attracted me, now I own one of these sexy classics ! Have owned a few other boats, but this is my first inboard/ straight drive so I am in a learning curve with this boat and this site is filled with some very useful knowledge.

I am in the process of getting the fluids changed, as well as getting the regular maintanance items changed out so I know that the work is done.

Now for a question, changed oil/ filter and it shows full on the dipstick with only 4 quarts ? is this correct (motor started, filter full) or should it be 5qt and and the dipstick is not correct for the motor ?

I have never heard of a marinized 351 with a 4 qt oil pan. :no:

In all likelihood, you didn't get all of the old oil out when draining so it only took 4 to bring it back to full. Not that big of a deal, especially if you change your oil as recommended (very 50 hours).

I was thinking similar about a 4qt 351 ford, marinized or not, never seen a standard small block with less than 5 qt pan ?

also I did get 5 + quarts out of the pan on the drain in addition to what was in the filter. I guess I will assume the stick is the wrong part and run 5 quarts for now. and wait to hear from a owner of a similar model .

martinarcher

With the engine rocked back on the mounts, my dipstick reads a bit low as well since the oil isn't level in the pan as it would be in a car. Last time I changed the oil I made a new "full mark" on my dipstick since I knew exactly what was in the pan. Thumbup.gif

Have fun with your new boat and be sure to post up some pics. There's a bunch of us in the Square Windshield Club that would love the see it! By the way....welcome to the club! Rockon.gif

thanks, I am all ready having a great time with my new old boat. I will post some pics once my kiddo teaches me how to get them from one place to another, hahaha