Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wetsuits

srud

Looking for your recommendations for full wetsuits. There seems to be a huge variety in prices. Is this a true "you get what you pay for" thing? I have also seen varying thicknesses, any where from 2 to 6mm. How thick/thin does it have to be?

The thickness depends on the temp water you would like to use it in. I have a sahara dry suit from ski warm and use it rather than a wet suit since it is similar, but lets me go in colder water. Once that gets too warm I switch to a rash guard.

The thickness depends on the temp water you would like to use it in.  I have a sahara dry suit from ski warm and use it rather than a wet suit since it is similar, but lets me go in colder water.  Once that gets too warm I switch to a rash guard.

Yah, what he said. I live in Louisiana, and have a shorty suit for our weather.

Yep, once it's too warm for the drysuit I switch to a shorty. Never use my full anymore.

I wouldn't get anything thicker than a 2/3. That means 3mm thick on the torso, 2mm thick on the arms and legs for greater flexibility. (Not meant to be "know-it-all-ish", just in case you didn't know.) You're not in the water for extended periods of time so 2-3mm neoprene is thick enough for warmth. It's the water seeping in that'll get ya and thicker neo doesn't help you there.

I've always used O'Neill suits, never any problems. Can't speak to off-brands.

Yep, once it's too warm for the drysuit I switch to a shorty.  Never use my full anymore.

I wouldn't get anything thicker than a 2/3.  That means 3mm thick on the torso, 2mm thick on the arms and legs for greater flexibility.  (Not meant to be "know-it-all-ish", just in case you didn't know.)  You're not in the water for extended periods of time so 2-3mm neoprene is thick enough for warmth.  It's the water seeping in that'll get ya and thicker neo doesn't help you there.

I've always used O'Neill suits, never any problems.  Can't speak to off-brands.

I'm also a big O'Neil fan for their wetsuits. I also use their full suit when diving. Even when it's warm, the shorty gives you some "added protection" from bad spills. It's probably a mental thing.

i also am a fan of drysuit to shorty (either my spring shorty or barefoot suit). pretty much where them year round for that added protection.

I too go from a drysuit to a shorty, but a long sleeve shorty. I also have a 1mm long sleeve shirt that I use on those cool mornings. Both of the neoprene are Body Glove brand. I've been happy with them. Seem to be well made.