Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VW makes TDI marine engines now in the North American Market!!

GTI2lo

If you are in the State of Texas, you cannot (legally) get a refund for the State excise tax on motorfuel UNLESS you are going offshore. This varies by State, but the Texas legislature decided they needed the money so they changed the law for inland water ways.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GTI2lo

• BenBu

• Pistol Pete

• mrothwell

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

maybe if you repost that in HP, inches, pounds, feet....you know ENGLISH :lol: Then I will know whats going on with that new engine :(

But seriously, I would NEVER EVER own anything made by VW cause it would just Blowup.gif

You've obviously never owned a VW. I've had a few. Absolutely love them. They do have issues with the new cars here and there. But the motors wil never EVER die. VW's motrs are the burliest things out there and can take an immense amount of beating and never so much as huccup

Never owned one and never will, but I have spent pleanty of time in a 2001 Jetta and a 2004 passat and I hate both of them equally! I drove both on the freeway, in town, highway, you name it....sucked! The jetta was the 4cyl and the passat had the v6 just FYI

I take back what I just said, I hate the Passat much much more!

Edited by jetskipro550
Thats amazing. If I was ever in a position where I had to commute (45min or more one way) I would make a bee line for my VW dealer, and that says a lot considering I'm a Ford guy. The TDI Golf, Jetta and Passat are comfortable, efficient, high mpg commuters.

I'd rather go the civic hybrid route or the toyota hybrid thing.

I know this is going to be a hard question to answer, but does it ever look like diesel will be cheaper than gas like it used to be? I'd like a diesel car but hesitate on getting one.

I have the 6.0 Powerstroke in my F350 and love it.

Well JC,

If you didn't mind the $5K upcharge for your diesel engine in your truck, you shouldn't have a problem with any higher fuel prices. I took the $500. upcharge and got the V-10. I'd say it's a wash comparing fuel economy to upcharge and maintenance.

I've been thinking of a diesel car as I have a Power Stroke in my Ford and love it, but with diesel prices I'm not so sure ... any one out there with a crystal ball on where diesel prices are headed? Where's TR when you need him!

Edited by jchooper
I've been thinking of a diesel car as I have a Power Stroke in my Ford and love it, but with diesel prices I'm not so sure ... any one out there with a crystal ball on where diesel prices are headed? Where's TR when you need him!

From what I can tell, diesel will continue to be more expensive for a while (read, several years). It is more expensive now because of lack of refineries capable of producing diesel. Since the Libs wont let any new refineries be built, it will continue to be more expensive.

The other thing that will keep diesel prices high in the near term is the new federal requirement for low sulfur diesel. That comes from sweet crude oil which is in hot demand/short supply for gasoline also since it's easier to refine.

Several issues of Trailer Life magazine have studied the diesel vs. gasoline engine purchase considering all the expenses and if you plan on driving your diesel out past 150K miles it makes sense (varied slightly by truck type). One thing they didn't put in there though was the drivability. I'll never own a gas tow vehicle as long as the prices for diesel remain reasonable just because the diesel drives while towing so much better.

I need to find some fuel consumption numbers on a gas motor like we have. I'd be curious to know at various cruising speeds (i.e. RPM settings) what the additional fuel consumption is. Diesels have a smaller RPM band and consume a lot of fuel when operated in their upper RPM band but I don't know if it's any worse than a similar RPM increase in a gas motor. That's why I think a 2 speed tranny on a diesel boat would be the cat's meow. You'd reap all the fuel efficiency gains and keep the RPM right in the meat of the torque curve.

It'll be fun seeing all the diesel threads on here pop up if we get them though. Ones like 'How to tweak your wastegate for better power at surf speeds' and 'Engine box insulation rev2 for diesel owners', 'How do I get the diesel fuel smell out of my carpet if I spilled some' etc...

Good post, Beakley.

On top of those common questions I think we'll see:

"Why do I need 2 batteries just to crank my diesel boat in cold weather?"

"How do I get all that soot off of my white transome?"

"What's that awful smell?"

"Dad, why can't we ski anymore? Well, son, we're out of fuel and the marina doesn't sell diesel."

"How come when I let my boat run out of diesel, I coulnd't get it to start again on the water?"

"What's anti-gelling addative?"

"Why doesn't my boat's hot air heater work worth a damn?"

"How come when I change the boat's oil, it's so carboned-up?"

"If I add a bottle of "motor medic", will that make the valve train quieter?"

"Oopps, I left the water in my block and now it's cracked. How come the dealer wants $3K more for my block than a gasser?"

Very interesting, I'd love to see the performance figures in terms of acceleration and reviews of pulling a skier or boarder.

they are my pics of the MC......the dealer said the pull was as good as the RTP (310 hp)....i have not skiied behind one so i cant say about the fumes.......my dcealer is demo-ing one ....so perhaps i'll get a pull and report back ;)

GalaxyToad,

You asked why those of us that want more weight aren't lining up, see Pete's post below:

Good post, Beakley.

On top of those common questions I think we'll see:

"Why do I need 2 batteries just to crank my diesel boat in cold weather?"

"How do I get all that soot off of my white transome?"

"What's that awful smell?"

"Dad, why can't we ski anymore? Well, son, we're out of fuel and the marina doesn't sell diesel."

"How come when I let my boat run out of diesel, I coulnd't get it to start again on the water?"

"What's anti-gelling addative?"

"Why doesn't my boat's hot air heater work worth a damn?"

"How come when I change the boat's oil, it's so carboned-up?"

"If I add a bottle of "motor medic", will that make the valve train quieter?"

"Oopps, I left the water in my block and now it's cracked. How come the dealer wants $3K more for my block than a gasser?"

And I'll add my own:

"Why's it so freakin' loud in here?"

Currently VW is the only manufacturer of diesels in this country that makes one that isn't ridiculously loud. Yes yes, I know they're quieter than the old diesels, but they're really loud when compared with a V8 or V10 in a comparable truck. Add to that, diesels are loudest at the engine, not the tailpipe (reverse of gassers) & you have your answer. Until they can solve all of these issues, I'll take my V8 Stroker, thank you very much.

i think the hardest thing for diesel is the EPA

They have already put the kabosh on passenger cars in the USA

(2006 is the last year for cars with Diesel, not pickups. Because of this VW is really going to beef up the 2006 model year cars in July)

The EPA will be getting more and more stringent.

VW does have a particulate filter that will reduce the sulfur emmissions, but the technology costs almost as much as the cars motor, so until they can get the price down on that puppy, we're not going to see Diesel cars for awhile

On the Hybrid Side of things, i'm not anywhere near sold.

VW will have a full TDI line up in the North American market for the 2008 model year, releasing early with new CDI technology, it is taking the tech from europe that is alrready out and making it pass emissions for NA market due to our poor grade fuels....high sulfur content!!

VW is producing the 2006 model year TDI Jetta's untill december 2006 instead of september to help ease the shortage of cars at dealers during the 2007 model year. Also rumor VW is going to release the 2008 models early in 2007 vs the typical september roll-over.

You guys listing all the negatives of a diesel must never have owned a recent one.

I'd pay $5k extra to have the Cummins out of my Dodge 3500 in a wakeboard boat, man what an engine. Doesn't smoke, or smell, and is inaudible driving down the road. Can barely hear it at idle. It wouldn't take much or any extra sound insulation in the engine compartment of a boat to make it a non-issue.

Yes, I've heard older diesels, and they will rattle your teeth from 20 feet away, but that is no longer the case with newer common-rail injected engines!

But oh it has MONSTER torque. I can't imagine enough ballast to even phase it, lol. Plus it's way more efficient than a gas engine, and the extra weight would be a big plus in a wakeboard boat.

Of course you'd need about a 24" pitch prop or something, but who cares, no big deal. Or take the reduction gear out of the V-drive. Current V-drives reduce the RPM of your gas engine down to about what a Diesel turns, heh.

You'd be surprised at how loud that engine would sound in your boat compared with the V8 that's in it now. It may be quiet compared with older diesels, but I've been around enough of the newer ones (inluding owning one for a time) to know that I wouldn't want one in my boat even if it's only because of the noise.

It's all relative.

You may be right, but it's already so loud in a moving boat, I'm not sure you'd hear it that much.

Next time you're driving around at 25-30 mph in the boat, think about how loud it really is. You usually have to yell to have people in the boat hear you, which is a much higher embient noise level than a car. I think it would mask a lot of engine noise.

Guess we won't know for sure unless someone does it. :)

I think diesel will be much more prevelant in the uS in the future. Europeans like diesel for energy efficient vehicles and the japs like gas/electric. If you use your vehicle in a city environment (lots of stop and go), buy a jap hybrid. If you are on the highway a lot buy a european diesel/hybrid. Crazy.gif

I was listening to the CEO of AutoNation (the largest auto dealer in the US) speak today on CNBC. They were hammering on hybrids. He said he thought Hybrids would hit 200,000 year and in 5 years would represent 500,000. That's 500,000 out of a 170,000,000 autos, very small percentage.

His biggest push was DIESEL. He thinks comapnies like Daimler/Chrysler will introduce and own a very large market using new clean diesel technologies and that a large percentage of AMERICANS will be buying them.

He also mentioned cylinder shutdowns and 8 speed automatics as being other fuel efficient remedies we will be seeing very soon.

The VW diesel is also a great seller in Europe, but it hasn't really been that available over here. hopefully things will change.

In CNBC parting shot they asked him again about hybrids and he said, I believ the diesel market will be bigger here in the US.

As far as warm up, my Duramax has no waiting period. Just turn the key and it goes. I've had it in Tahoe when it was snowing overnight and it starts as fast as any gasser.

VW is going to send a engine to malibu.They are going to test it for a few months so

we will know if it is going to work somewhere late 2006 or so.

VW claims the engine is quiter wieghts 220lbs less and doesn,t smells or smoke.

well we will see what happens.

VW is going to send a engine to malibu.They are going to test it for a few months so

we will know if it is going to work somewhere late 2006 or so.

VW claims the engine is quiter wieghts 220lbs less and doesn,t smells or smoke.

well we will see what happens.

Quieter and weighs 220lbs less than what? A Monsoon? If so - sign me up right now.

I personally like the idea of deisel in my boat if it didn't weigh a ton.