Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Took on Lots of Water During Storm

We had a bad storm the other night and like an idiot I forgot to pull the plug. Boat was covered but opened the center locker (2 days later) and the water was over the pumps :( . Quickly drained it out and dried it as best I could. Put her in the water and she started just fine. Big deal or not? Anything I need to do just in case?

Edited by Tacostik

Carry Big Long Jumper Cables.

The minerals in the water may have deposited on your starter and solenoid.

This may create a constant current draw.

If you leave your boat sit for 2 or 3 weeks your battery may go flat.

Did the water get too the starter and solinoid? or just cover the pumps? The pumps are sealed units so they can get wet as long as the wire connections (splices) stayed above water there will be no issues. If the starter got wet you will need to dry it out as best youcan. Hair dryer and use will do wonders.

Rain water should not have the high mineral content of the lake and river water so you should not have to worry as much about deposits, corrosion yes deposits no. Corrision will cause the same constant currnet draw as the deposits will.

REW

6-8" of water in the bilge should not be an issue. pumps, thru hulls, all that stuff that runs along the bottom foot inside the hull is made to get wet... does your boat have 2 drain plugs like mine? one transom and one in the front center?

Edited by nyryan2001

Why didn't your bilge pump kick on?

Battery switch was off because it was sitting on the trailer and I usually pull the plugs. As an aside, do most folks leave their batteries on regardless?

6-8" of water in the bilge should not be an issue. pumps, thru hulls, all that stuff that runs along the bottom foot inside the hull is made to get wet... does your boat have 2 drain plugs like mine? one transom and one in the front center?

Good question. I have only seen the transom plug, but I have only had my boat for a few weeks. I'll look later this week.

I have three plugs, one on the transom, one under the motor and one in the ski locker (direct drive). Batteries stay connected all summer I will start to disconnect when the use goes down.

As an aside, do most folks leave their batteries on regardless?

I have a Perko battery switch. If I'm leaving the boat for any amount of time, ie; more than a day or two, then I disable the batteries. Not so much for the batteries sake, but a safety measure to keep the boat where it's at.

I have the bilge pump wired directly to one of the batteries so it will still work in case of any problem while the batteries are disabled.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I leave my switch on all of the time and no problem boat is in the water most of the year. But year is not that long up here. Have left the boat for three weeks and it starts no prblem everytime.

we folks with 08s can't leave our Perkos on. my stupid MUX switches will drain the battery in 4 or 5 days. my boat is not the only one from this era to act this way either. sad, but I fixed it with a Perko.

We had a bad storm the other night and like an idiot I forgot to pull the plug. Boat was covered but opened the center locker (2 days later) and the water was over the pumps :( . Quickly drained it out and dried it as best I could. Put her in the water and she started just fine. Big deal or not? Anything I need to do just in case?

Run another power wire (brown wire) to your bilge pump, tie it into the existing power wire to the pump. That way you have constant power for the autobilge feature as well as power to your bilge switch. You can turn your perko off and still have automatic bilge.

Edited by 06vlx