Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Choice?

Time for little brother to defend his hardcore Moomba heritage.

350 in a Boomerang with little more than a cusion on the floor, a pylon in the center and 15 gallons of propellant = hard core.

May I introduce this metaphor for a little clearer understanding... I recently saw an elderly couple in a vehicle which sounds similar to my bro's new Malibu. It was supercharged, had leather seats, a heater, cruise control (er ahhh perfect pass I mean), heated seats, and some really nice trim... It was a Buick and no matter how you spin the specs, it wasn't cool.

Following this metaphore my friends. I drive a Viper.

I like those Moomba Boomerangs but, they are more like a 340 Duster than a Viper. Biggrin.gif

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• JohnDoe

• VinRLX

• thealy

Comparing the data in the 2005 and 2006 WSM BBG's, a Response LXI tested with a Hammerhead (2005) and the Monsoon (2006) was almost the same in acceleration from 0-30 and from 0-36. They only differed by 0.1 sec. The difference in distance from 0 to 30 MPH was only about a foot. This is hardly noticeable. However, there was about a 3 MPH increase in top speed (approximately 50 with the HH vs. 47 for the Monsoon). According to their data, I don't buy anyone who notices a difference between the engines in acceleration, but I do in top speed. Notice this only applies to the Response Lxi. The bigger V-drives may be different.

Comparing the data in the 2005 and 2006 WSM BBG's, a Response LXI tested with a Hammerhead (2005) and the Monsoon (2006) was almost the same in acceleration from 0-30 and from 0-36. They only differed by 0.1 sec. The difference in distance from 0 to 30 MPH was only about a foot. This is hardly noticeable. However, there was about a 3 MPH increase in top speed (approximately 50 with the HH vs. 47 for the Monsoon). According to their data, I don't buy anyone who notices a difference between the engines in acceleration, but I do in top speed. Notice this only applies to the Response Lxi. The bigger V-drives may be different.

I had looked that up, too, as my son and I have been discussing if it is worth the extra $ for the Hammerhead in the LXi. The slight difference may be in part due to the test. About 5 years ago WSMBBG had 2 Sportys tested, one with the 310 carb and the other with the Monsoon. The carb engine was quicker and faster. My dealer told me that no way was that test accurate. I like to point it out though seeing I have a carb engine. Biggrin.gif

What we are comparing are the power characteristics of two different sized engines. To take the example to the extreme compare a Chevy small block and a Chevy BB. In the exact same size truck with comparable HP the small block will hold its own on a drac strip. If you put a load on the two same trucks the BB will absolutely eat up the smaller engine. The same is true with the boats, the Monsoon is an absolute riot to rip around in and does a great job pulling a skier. If on the other hand you want that same power rush while loaded down with 8 kids and a full load of ballast the 383 has the CID to produce a smile all summer long.

Joe

Time for little brother to defend his hardcore Moomba heritage.

350 in a Boomerang with little more than a cusion on the floor, a pylon in the center and 15 gallons of propellant = hard core.

May I introduce this metaphor for a little clearer understanding... I recently saw an elderly couple in a vehicle which sounds similar to my bro's new Malibu. It was supercharged, had leather seats, a heater, cruise control (er ahhh perfect pass I mean), heated seats, and some really nice trim... It was a Buick and no matter how you spin the specs, it wasn't cool.

Following this metaphore my friends. I drive a Viper.

I like those Moomba Boomerangs but, they are more like a 340 Duster than a Viper. Biggrin.gif

Hey, those Duster 340s were pretty darned quick, especially in the bright Lime Green color.

What we are comparing are the power characteristics of two different sized engines. To take the example to the extreme compare a Chevy small block and a Chevy BB. In the exact same size truck with comparable HP the small block will hold its own on a drac strip. If you put a load on the two same trucks the BB will absolutely eat up the smaller engine. The same is true with the boats, the Monsoon is an absolute riot to rip around in and does a great job pulling a skier. If on the other hand you want that same power rush while loaded down with 8 kids and a full load of ballast the 383 has the CID to produce a smile all summer long.

Joe

We have the monsoon in our 04 lsv, no complaints, full ballast 11 people and up near tahoe has so far been the only thing to slow it down.

Boomerang...=Viper...=hard core.

...Malibu...(=)Buick...(=)it wasn't cool.

I suppose you deserve some brownie points for having the cajones to come on a Malibu sight and say that... :lol:

There's a Moomba Boomerang on our lake and my Sporty Rocket-Sled will b!+$#-slap that boat every day of the week and twice on Sundays (after church, of course :) ). And do it with comfortable seats and a smaller & softer wake.

A Boomerang compares to a Viper? :lol: I was thinking more along the Kia or Daiwoo lines... :lol: ...something lower and with a coffee can tailpipe. ROFL.gif

oh ya, and Welcome.gif to the site. ROFL.gif Just having some fun with ya. ;)

Grins... Damn Vipers don't work well in Wisconsin snow anyway.

If anyone is interested, we could turn this brother vs brother thing into a weekend tailgate culminating in a fairly mundane race between a Buick and a Duster. I'll bring the beer.

The Prop probably has a lot more to do with top speed than the engine. The redline on both the Monsoon and Hammerhead is 5,200 RPM. The Hammerhead has a 60HP and 45 Ft. Lb. advantage, so it will accelerate to top speed quicker. My LSV goes about 52 MPH, but I believe the direct drives go a bit slower.

I'd choose the Hammerhead again. We've been very pleased with its performance--plus is sounds fantastic.

HH is sweet, but the torque difference is only 23 lb-ft, not 45. No doubt, however, the seat of your pants will notice a difference.

I suspect that the 23 foot figure refers to the old 350 HH.

I double checked the stats in the hard cover "brochure" for my boat (2005) and the stats I listed above are accurate. They are also the same for 2006. Perhaps JohnDoe's figures are from 2004 or 350 HH?

My numbers come from the website. I would copy and paste the excerpts here, but was concerned about infringing on anyone's copyright. I can summarize it for you, however: Monsoon 397 lb-ft, HH 420 lb-ft. Because 420-397 is 23, I stated that the difference was 23 lb-ft. Check for yourself at www.malibuboats.com. I will check my '06 brochure tonight, but I think it says the same thing.

I don't know that I'd trust those numbers off of Malibu's site since they don't even have the correct specs on the rockers, but to be sure I called Indmar directly. The 420 number is correct on the HH, but the Monsoon is 375 ft/lb torque, & both motors make that at 3600 rpms. Just as an FYI, the old 350 HH 380HP made 387 ft/lbs of torque.

Edited by WakeGirl

So what you're saying is that the specs reported by Malibu are not accurate?

Are you saying that the Monsoon has the same torque as an LCR (375)?

Or, were the Monsoon and LCR torque numbers inflated, thus meaning the Monsoon has 375 and LCR has even less?

I didn't ask about the LCR, so I can't say for sure. I'd also prefer to not speculate on why those numbers are what they are on Malibu's site because at the end of the day I don't know, but it does make one wonder. There are so many typos & misprints all over that site that it's entirely possible that they got their information mixed up. Again I don't know, but the information that I posted is straight from Indmar & I would consider that more reliable myself.

One thing to take into consideration is that the LCR is the old Monsoon, so they may actually have very similar torque ratings. I'll see if I can't get more information on that.

I really don't care all that much, I just wanted to explain where it was that I got my numbers...that I wasn't making stuff up! Back to OP, evrybody who has the HH loves it, so that must say something.

Okay, I just verified that the LCR is closer to 350 (that was all that they would tell me ;)). No worries John, why shouldn't you believe what Malibu puts on their site after all? I've just driven both & there is a much, much bigger difference according to the Butt Dyno than that 23 ft lbs that Malibu says is the difference. Loads of fun to drive. :lol:

Edited by WakeGirl

I know...even I had stated before that the seat of your pants difference is bigger than 23 lb-ft.

A friend just took delivery of his '06 HH, blade, decked out VLX. I have driven several of the "old" hh's but look forward to this one. Speaking of engines and stuff...can anyone post the link to galaxytoads findings when he tore down a supernatural? Wasn't it he that did that? Speaking of Corvettes, does anyone here have one? (The boat)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a quick test to put in.

I tested a HH against a Monsoon with the same boat (different color) side by side before I bought mine...

The monsoon ate it up.

The reason is they had the same prop on both boats.

Apples to Apples, the monsoon will out run and out perform it with 'said' prop specs 13.5x16 537 Acme.

HOWEVER, once you prop both boats with their engines, the HammerHead will pull approximately 85 lbs more since the density of water does not change and .5mph. It is all in the time to distance measurement.

4500 for 85lbs.... That has to take an ego.

It sounds louder and cam'd due to it being stroked, but water can take only so much torque/density and it all depends on the prop and water depth (prop in water)...

So, everyone is correct, your setup dictates your performance.

I can believe the test above. Our HH with the stock prop spun the prop so hard as to cavitate from 15-30 mph. Under these conditions as long as the Monsoon is getting "traction" the HH will be hard pressed to keep up.

Joe

PS My ego demanded the HH of me. Am I compensating?............ :blush: