Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Choice?

I know that this has been discused in many threads before howerver, I belive this needs to be revisted from time to time given that enignes change and that some of the engines (383) are rather new. I just purchased a 2005 Response LXI, with the Hammerhead 383. Unfortunatly I live in Minnesota so I have not had the oportunity to even drive the boat yet. I did test drive a 2005 with the Monsoon this summer and while the power was "nice" it didn't blow me away. The one criteria I had was that this boat had to be quicker and faster than my brothers 16k Mooba Boomerange with a 325HP inmar. So am I going to be dissapointed? I am really interested in everyones opinions and experiances with the various motors over the past summer. Thanks in advance for your responses.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• JohnDoe

• VinRLX

• thealy

I don't know if you're boat will be faster or not... sure depends on the prop you are using and if you are going for faster hole-shot, or faster top end (there are trade offs)

Anyway - there is no substitue for power - the more the better! Enjoy your Hammerhead (wish I had one... )

The hammerhead would be my choice. You will have about 400 HP to play with. The cam has a bit more duration on the exhaust valves so it sounds much better at idle than the wimpy Monsoon 325. These boats are not known for their speed. I expect that you will see somewhere around 47-50 on the top end depending on which prop you have.

The Prop probably has a lot more to do with top speed than the engine. The redline on both the Monsoon and Hammerhead is 5,200 RPM. The Hammerhead has a 60HP and 45 Ft. Lb. advantage, so it will accelerate to top speed quicker. My LSV goes about 52 MPH, but I believe the direct drives go a bit slower.

I'd choose the Hammerhead again. We've been very pleased with its performance--plus is sounds fantastic.

The one criteria I had was that this boat had to be quicker and faster than my brothers 16k Mooba Boomerange with a 325HP inmar.

2000 WSM BBG:

Boomerang w/Indmar Assault MPI 330 hp EFI

0-36 5.65

WOT 48 MPH@ 5100 RPM

2005 WSM BBG:

RLXi w/Indmar Hammerhead 383 6.2L, 400 hp

0-36 4.9

WOT 50.3 MPH @ 5200 RPM

The Prop probably has a lot more to do with top speed than the engine. The redline on both the Monsoon and Hammerhead is 5,200 RPM. The Hammerhead has a 60HP and 45 Ft. Lb. advantage, so it will accelerate to top speed quicker. My LSV goes about 52 MPH, but I believe the direct drives go a bit slower.

I'd choose the Hammerhead again. We've been very pleased with its performance--plus is sounds fantastic.

HH is sweet, but the torque difference is only 23 lb-ft, not 45. No doubt, however, the seat of your pants will notice a difference.

The one criteria I had was that this boat had to be quicker and faster than my brothers 16k Mooba Boomerange with a 325HP inmar.

2000 WSM BBG:

Boomerang w/Indmar Assault MPI 330 hp EFI

0-36 5.65

WOT 48 MPH@ 5100 RPM

2005 WSM BBG:

RLXi w/Indmar Hammerhead 383 6.2L, 400 hp

0-36 4.9

WOT 50.3 MPH @ 5200 RPM

That's not much of a difference for $4,500.00. I would imagine the difference is much more in larger Bu's?

Having driven both the Monsoon & the Stroker in the same model with the same prop setup (VLX w/Acme 531), I can tell you that the big difference is not as much on the top end as it is on the bottom. The Stroker is very strong out the hole & maintains this under full ballast, while the Monsoon felt fairly anemic even with no ballast (loaded up it felt like it struggled). Yeah you gain some on the top, but the big gains are at the bottom.

There is a much bigger difference than 23ft/lbs. I have posted the graphs between the Monsoon and the HH 383 it is much more!

But those that are doubters only need to take a ride in one :) Tracie and I both have........

Guys who have ridden in the "big" 247 can tell you as well, since the 383 is standard.

I know that this has been discused in many threads before howerver, I belive this needs to be revisted from time to time given that enignes change and that some of the engines (383) are rather new. I just purchased a 2005 Response LXI, with the Hammerhead 383. Unfortunatly I live in Minnesota so I have not had the oportunity to even drive the boat yet. I did test drive a 2005 with the Monsoon this summer and while the power was "nice" it didn't blow me away. The one criteria I had was that this boat had to be quicker and faster than my brothers 16k Mooba Boomerange with a 325HP inmar. So am I going to be dissapointed? I am really interested in everyones opinions and experiances with the various motors over the past summer. Thanks in advance for your responses.

If you try it and don't like it I'll trade you a Monsoon for the 383 straight up Crazy.gif

I am very encouraged by all your responses. I think I am now confident enough to start giving my bro a bunch of grief about his poky Moomba. Yeah he can always state that I paid over twice as much as him, but that I can deal with.

I am very encouraged by all your responses. I think I am now confident enough to start giving my bro a bunch of grief about his poky Moomba. Yeah he can always state that I paid over twice as much as him, but that I can deal with.

Wait until next season, your bro will be on you're boat all season. The ultimate IYS... ROFL.gif

You will note a difference right at the dock...just start it up! The sound is worth the difference in price. It sounds like a real boat should. :)

Time for little brother to defend his hardcore Moomba heritage.

350 in a Boomerang with little more than a cusion on the floor, a pylon in the center and 15 gallons of propellant = hard core.

May I introduce this metaphor for a little clearer understanding... I recently saw an elderly couple in a vehicle which sounds similar to my bro's new Malibu. It was supercharged, had leather seats, a heater, cruise control (er ahhh perfect pass I mean), heated seats, and some really nice trim... It was a Buick and no matter how you spin the specs, it wasn't cool.

Following this metaphore my friends. I drive a Viper.

350 in a Boomerang with little more than a cusion on the floor, a pylon in the center and 15 gallons of propellant = hard core.

May I introduce this metaphor for a little clearer understanding... I recently saw an elderly couple in a vehicle which sounds similar to my bro's new Malibu. It was supercharged, had leather seats, a heater, cruise control (er ahhh perfect pass I mean), heated seats, and some really nice trim... It was a Buick and no matter how you spin the specs, it wasn't cool.

You are getting as good as a Packer fan at defending your position. (He is a Viking fan living in Rhinelander WI, I guess they are starting to wear off on him).

I like those Moomba Boomerangs but, they are more like a 340 Duster than a Viper. Biggrin.gif