Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

break in oil change hours??

some people and manual say between 10-20 hours, others say 25 hours,

others say 10 hours start to ride and change at 20-25 hours...

others say dont ride till engine has done more then 10 hours and oils changed...(i guy from indmar told me dont ride till break in service and yet manual says after 10 hours before pulling load)

..a dealer told me if you see how indmar tests engines before they ship them out you would cry...

i am on 10 hours ,still have not pulled anyone..(sea has been bad here ...)

and thinking ..

need opinion of guys who have owned more then 1 boat and have doen many hours trouble free..

thks

MalibuNation

I changed between 10-20 hours ... which time I never pulled anyone. After that it's been full blast with oil changes every 50 hours. I have 360 trouble free hours on my boat.

MCC, it is never too early to change the oil, just too late! :Doh: The owners manual says the FIRST 10, every 50 and annually and the fine print will normally state for extreme conditions... so I would and have always followed the manual for the break-in period (x4 boats) and for the peace of mind. This could be especially helpful if something freak happened like a bad engine from the factory it would CYA and shift the blame to the manufacturer (hopefully). I believe Indmar says not to use synthetic oil until after the first 100 hours as well. I had also heard that when they test the engines they drive them like they stole them which makes me wonder about the break-in guidance? Good luck.

I work at Gm on the engine manufacuring side and I would personally change the oil on a new boat after 5 hours. The reason is during the casting and machining process, some sediment will remain especially on sand cast engines. Each block/ head is washed multiple times, but some will still remain. It's normal, and there are "standard" levels that are acceptable, but best for peace of mind to do an oil change early to remove the sediment that moved around from thermal cycling and now oil flow.

It's cheap to do and has no drawback.

Edited by Indyxc

I work at Gm on the engine manufacuring side and I would personally change the oil on a new boat after 5 hours. The reason is during the casting and machining process, some sediment will remain especially on sand cast engines. Each block/ head is washed multiple times, but some will still remain. It's normal, and there are "standard" levels that are acceptable, but best for peace of mind to do an oil change early to remove the sediment that moved around from thermal cycling and now oil flow.

Good point!

:plus1: This is a great point.

I agree with this 100%. This is a practice that I have implemented on all new vehicles I have ever purchased. On my trucks, I change at 500 miles, 1500 miles, 3000 miles, then begin the normal oil change cycle of 3000-5000 miles depending on how it's used (freeway driving vs. towing, etc.). It has always seemed to me that this is the best way to protect my investment and to keep my peace of mind. It may be a little over the top, but it makes sense to me. JMHO.