Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response LXi owner Poll

SmoothWaterMan

Fuel Tank Size  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Please Compare the value of your Fuel Tank size to the Value of your Trunk size.

• I prefer or need the tank capacity I have, (38-41 gallons) and would not want a smaller tank.
    • I would prefer to have a 20 gallon tank, so I could increase the depth of my trunk.
    • I would be happy with a 10 gallon tank, even if I have to fill it each time we ski.

I have the RLX, but voted for the 20 gal tank. I wish I had more trunk space and never need a full tank of gas. 10 gal would be a little small for comfort.

I voted for the 20gal tank. Living on the lake, I really have no need for the large tank. It isn't like I need to be running all day long and then have to worry about finding a marina someplace, and the extra space in the trunk sure would be nice.

That said, I'd really like to better understand just how much space it would gain me, and how useable the 20 gallons would be. Would I end up with a very wide, very flat tank? Would that cause issues with fuel pickup? That is, would I end up susceptible to running dry as the fuel got low and sloshed to one side of the tank in a turn? And what about the fuel level sensor? Seems to me that could get even worse.

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

I was torn...but voted to keep the same. Would have been an easy choice....if only the ski locker in my floorboard provided dry storage...

I'd also be willing to split the difference and go w/ a 30 gal tank

My personal preference is small tank and no trunk since I also live on a lake and idle to the course to ski and simply slide the skis behind the drivers seat. The old Infinity transom treatment was pretty cool IMO, like the low transom step over. I do understand only a very small percentage of customers would actually fit in this category and our boat usually has only 2-3 people total. I see a lot of trunks constantly open air drying while on the lift, all brands.

I really like the 40 or so gallon tank. When we are at home I can run the tank low for less weight. Then when we go on vacation at the bigger lakes I don't have to worry about fuel for making the longer trecks to our secluded spots or the ski course.

One thing that Malibu needs to keep is locking trunks. Some one raided our boats at DHL this year and I lost less than others since most of our gear was in the trunk locked. Our travel companions were not as lucky since they have no locking storage. Both boats were covered and moored in slips that are patrolled by security but a single night time guard can only watch so much.

The old Infinity transom treatment was pretty cool IMO, like the low transom step over.

I know this is a bit O/T, but Woodski triggered a thought here on what annoys me far and away the most on my RLXi. What I would really like is for the rear seat base to revert to the old 3 piece design from the early 2000's. Would make it a lot easier to pull the rear seat for the slalom sessions (less bulk to pull out at one time). But more importantly, most of the time in the boat is spent with the family when I need the rear seat. People are are in and out across the transom all day, and they end up stepping on the seat base. This causes the vinyl to tear right behind the piping. :mad: I'd love to be able to just pull up one of the cushions so that people have a place to step...

I need to order a new skin from Chee this winter for that rear seat. I'm hoping he can do it custom to give me the three cushions instead.

People are are in and out across the transom all day, and they end up stepping on the seat base. This causes the vinyl to tear right behind the piping. :mad: I'd love to be able to just pull up one of the cushions so that people have a place to step...

Agreed, I have two co-workers who each have the 1998 SN196 (great ski boat). The "walk thru" rear seat is a great setup. The middle cushion (see pic) easily removes.

post-5162-086087600 1312983474_thumb.jpg

Edited by davemac

Hey Jerry,

A smaller tank would not affect use, as they still have a "pocket" that traps sloshing fuel for a steady supply to the pump.

In terms of the rear seat, drop me an email when you're ready as we can split that up for you. (Funny, we usually tie the old ones together, but we can go the other way too)

Peter :)

I know this is a bit O/T, but Woodski triggered a thought here on what annoys me far and away the most on my RLXi. What I would really like is for the rear seat base to revert to the old 3 piece design from the early 2000's. Would make it a lot easier to pull the rear seat for the slalom sessions (less bulk to pull out at one time). But more importantly, most of the time in the boat is spent with the family when I need the rear seat. People are are in and out across the transom all day, and they end up stepping on the seat base. This causes the vinyl to tear right behind the piping. :mad: I'd love to be able to just pull up one of the cushions so that people have a place to step...

I need to order a new skin from Chee this winter for that rear seat. I'm hoping he can do it custom to give me the three cushions instead.

Great point.

On day trips the trunk is sufficient size for our family and we just put in the fuel we need.

On vacation, the trunk is only used to store the cover. The gear is all up on shore along with the back seat. I pull my boat out to gas up, so I like the larger tank, enabling less trips. Normally take on 35-40 gallons each fill up. I think jerry cans are a hassle and you still have to make the trip to the pump anyway. Ramp is only 1 mile away and pumps are another mile, so it's less than a 30 minute chore.

Edited by electricjohn

Don't have a problem w/ jerry cans, use them any vacation we take. While bit off topic I wish they'd update the response w/ a new hull, smaller tank, trunk really isn't that important and lower the price maybe a "ride" type pricing...oh of course lower the weight... :)

I had to read that one twice before I realized it wasn't a reference to me. ;)

lol, I could have used an 's after jerry.