Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Critique my wakesurfing wave

Tacostik

Front, Center, Left MLS

750 Piggy Back

400 Fly High on seat

150 Fly High up front

Wedge 2 clicks from bottom

5 adults all on surf side

10-15 feet of water

My link

Do we need more weight? The crew is all pretty experienced ocean surfers (10-15 years), but no one can really stay in the pocket for any amount of time. I'm starting to wonder if we are using the wrong board. It's a 4'9" Hyperlite Broadcast. I know it's kind of a newbie board, but I wanted the wife and less experienced friends to get into it too. Any chance that the board is the problem?

I am pretty new at surfing so take this for what its worth... I am running a 5'6" Broadcast and can go ropeless for days behind my old Skier with 1250 lbs in the rear corner.

I would think with a bigger board you will be ropeless easily. BUT that being said I would think you could do it with your current set up.

Make sure your cutting into the face of the wave slightly, this will give you a little more lift on the board and help you go ropless. Also make sure the driver is turning slightly into the wave.

Post up a vid and everyone will really chime in with some tips!

EDIT: I cant see the link, no facebook accont, also site is blocked from work...

Edited by Levi900RR

Here is the nonfacebook pic.

Surf Wake

The wave just doesn't really grab you. In the ocean you can really feel the push, but not behind my boat.

Edited by Tacostik

How fast are you going? You should be more than capable of surfing that wave for days. You might also have to adjust your technique, more front foot, weight on your toes.

the wave looks good, it would be much better in deeper water. I would take your boat to deeper water and experiment there before spending more money on weight.

Front, Center, Left MLS

750 Piggy Back

400 Fly High on seat

150 Fly High up front

Wedge 2 clicks from bottom

5 adults all on surf side

10-15 feet of water

My link

Do we need more weight? The crew is all pretty experienced ocean surfers (10-15 years), but no one can really stay in the pocket for any amount of time. I'm starting to wonder if we are using the wrong board. It's a 4'9" Hyperlite Broadcast. I know it's kind of a newbie board, but I wanted the wife and less experienced friends to get into it too. Any chance that the board is the problem?

A better board would help, but Ruffdog is also right about the water depth. You need consistently deeper water to get the wave that that boat is capable of. But yeah, a better board would go a long way for you.

I regularly surf in water that's less than 20' deep and with much less weight than that. The wave looks pretty good to me, you should be able to surf ropeless on that no problem. Try pointing the board more towards the boat. I noticed in that picture that it's pointed off to the side of the boat, it should be pointed at the platform to keep the drive of the wave pushing you. Try slowing down a little bit too, you may be going too fast, judging by the looks of your wave, you're probably going 11+ mph, see what happens when you go about 10.4-10.6. The wave will get taller and closer to the boat and will have more drive, but you won't be able to surf as far back.

So would 20+ feet of depth make a big difference? I was under the impression that it was all the same if you were deeper than 10-12 feet

So would 20+ feet of depth make a big difference? I was under the impression that it was all the same if you were deeper than 10-12 feet

Depends on the boat, but bigger boats with more wetted surface need more depth than smaller boats. JT's vride isn't a good comparison in that regard. On my VLX, I saw a dropoff in the wave in less than 15' of water.

EDIT: One other thing, the note about speed is a good one. Put a gps on your speedo to verify your actual speed & try it in the mid-10's as JT suggests.

Might want to pick up an actual surf rope also so you have some adjustability to find the waves push.

Yeah it should be here tomorrow

Its true you very well could surf in water under 15 feet but it is harder. Then add currents on top of that and it makes it even more of a challenge.

The difference is very clear on my boat when we cross into water 15' or less.

Its true you very well could surf in water under 15 feet but it is harder. Then add currents on top of that and it makes it even more of a challenge.

The difference is very clear on my boat when we cross into water 15' or less.

Completely agree, IME.

To adjust your speed: gradually add speed from a start and see what mph gives you a clean wake - thats your lowest speed.

Then you can add a little more speed to lengthen the wave.

Broadcast is a pretty good beginner board but I'd take the 2 outside fins off.

On a Broadcast, a good way to get forward board speed is to move your back foot up and get your toes as close to the edge as comfortable.