Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Tower is Best For The Bucks?

Baddog

I know this has been covered before on several different threads, but for the benefit of all the newbies here (and Me) what is the BEST:

1. Tower/Model

2. Price

3. Ease of DIY install

4. Racks

When you say best for the bucks do you mean cheapest ? if so I would say a Titan series one has to be fairly inexpensive these days, damm strong tower !!

The Monster is a great tower, but I'd have to side with a Titan if for no other reason than that it's OEM to Malibu. Other benefits include the fact that it's built for your boat & not a universal fit, & it's steel rather than aluminum. The tubing is a little smaller as a result (2.25" as opposed to 2.5"), & I think because of that there is more availability for accessories (you see a lot of accessory companies that will go up to, but not over 2.25").

The big advantage to the Monster is the way that it can lay down completely inside the boat. For those with clearance issues, this is a biggie.

Edited by WakeGirl

How about Titan 1 vs. Titan 2. Worth the extra bucks?

With the Titan folded, will it go under my existing cover or is Monster the only that does that.

There is the Monster Calender to consider as well.

Know of any place that has awesome deals on either of these?

Edited by Baddog
How about Titan 1 vs. Titan 2. Worth the extra bucks?

With the Titan folded, will it go under my existing cover or is Monster the only that does that.

There is the Monster Calender to consider as well.

Know of any place that has awesome deals on either of these?

Titan 1 vs 2 is all personal preference IMO, there's no difference in strength that I've heard of. You may not be able to get v1 polished, not sure about those options on that one.

The Monster is the only one that I know of that folds all the way in like that. With the Titan you either have to lay it on the windshield (as most seem to do) or fold it all the way forward & lay it on the bow. You can always buy the calendar if you go with Titan. :)

Check with Idaho Watersports. Last I heard, they had a bunch of v1 that they were trying to get rid of.

How much more is the T3 going for? If its not a bunch more I would go that route over the T1 and T2. We have always called the T1 the fairy tower (I don't want to get a bunch of crap about this because its MY opinion) because it looks gay. I would take the Monster tower of the T1 any day, but thats just cause of looks. I know that the T1 is a very strong tower.

I'd be sure to look at the complete package. Like Tracie said about the Monster being 2.5"...look at the pricing of racks, mirror arms, speakers,...make sure that what you want is available and cost effective.

How much more is the T3 going for? If its not a bunch more I would go that route over the T1 and T2. We have always called the T1 the fairy tower (I don't want to get a bunch of crap about this because its MY opinion) because it looks gay. I would take the Monster tower of the T1 any day, but thats just cause of looks. I know that the T1 is a very strong tower.

Lord only knows we mustn't look gay with our titan 1 ! :Doh:

Not that there's anything wrong with that.... Crazy.gif

Guess I'll get that rainbow sticker on the back of my boat.

We have always called the T1 the fairy tower...because it looks gay.

Ya, but can you get it in Holiday Bronze to match your Johnson? ROFL.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu

A lot of the points have already been touched on. First though, what do you want exactly. If you want a polished finish like I did (a must), then I think you have to step up to a TII, and the the price differential between Titan and Monster is greater (and a TIII polished is even more). Next, does it need to fit in a garage (standard height)? If so, the Titan is a toss-up. I did a lot of research and decided a lot of it has to do with what trailer you have and its height. I chose Monster because there was a 75% chance a Titan wouldn't fit under my door - not a gamble I wanted to make. Same concept if you want the tower down under a cover, although I think less of an issue. As for racks, I personally think the Monster racks are great. Quick detach and good looks. I didn't have any problem getting a 2.5" speaker mounts. Lights might be a different story if you go with something other than Monster. I put a lot into my decision, and I chose Monster bang for buck. But your criteria might be different from mine.

Your not the only one who thinks that. Its been called that on our lake by a lot of people.

Your not the only one who thinks that. Its been called that on our lake by a lot of people.

Not mine. I powder coated it Reuben to coordinate it with the boat and I get nothing but, "Oh wow! That's cool." T1 is the best bang for the buck I think. Install was pretty easy with a couple of friends and a measure-four-times-over-and-over mentality before drilling. Be sure to lift it into place once before though so that you can check ease of fit and to see if the windshield door opens. A little bit of info though, the windshields prior to the newer ones that came online around '01-'02 will prevent the front wishbone from lying down as far as you see it often advertised. Plan on it being about 8" or so taller when collapsed than on the newer model boats.

I'd go straight to your local dealer for info on the TIII. I contacted Titan through their website to inquire. They did e-mail back, only to say I'd be hearing from my local Malibu dealer shortly, which I did. You can probably see pics of a TIII on the Malibu website, or go over to the other site (WSR) and dig through some of the "rides". If your 98SS is similar to my 01, the TIII that fits your boat will be off of the I/VRide. I don't remember pricing (dumped all the e-mails), but it seems my dealer had stock they wanted to get rid of at either $1800 or $2k discounted, for black finish. Polished was going to be a lot more since they had to order it. Seems like $2600 or $2800 sounds about right. The TIII has a more raked back look, and looks better than a I or II IMO.

Thanks for the photo Tracie, that helps.

I tried the Idaho Watersports website and that has got to be one of the worst sites I have seen in a while. Very hard to navigate, they have this stupid split screen that I couldn't get out of and I never found Titans anywhere. Definitely not a good site like this one.