Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailering with boat cover poles?

Colorado Boat'n

So I'm towing the boat for on a 14 hr road trip tomorrow morning (Lake house for a week). I have a custom 2 piece snap cover for towing. I'm undecided on whether to use the telescoping poles for the cover to tighten against or not. The custom cover has the provisions for the poles, but is that just for mooring? What are your thoughts/suggestions and reasoning?

Edited by Colorado Boat'n

I just towed mine back just over an hour with the cover on but only because I suspected rain and didn't want the interior trashed. I left the poles in so the cover wouldn't flap around as much. My cover has a skirt sewn in all the around so snaps banging against my gel coat weren't an issue. For that long a trek I'd just make sure that NO metal was rubbing or flapping around anywhere. I'm sure you could cover up anything with heavy duty duct tape just to keep it from rubbing.

Just two cents but if I hadn't been expecting rain I would have have towed uncovered. As it was everything turned out fine and nothing got messed up with the cover on it. (But I didn't drive 14 hrs either!) Good luck! :thumbup:

We have a snap cover with poles and always tow with it on, sometimes 3-4 hours and have never had a problem. Our snaps are under the rub rail and we have never had one come undone ( I do have nightmares about it thou, seeing alot of people on here have said they come undone and imagining what it would do ), the cover has reinforcement around the snaps, poles and windshield. We try to make sure its good and tight to stop any flapping. I did notice last year it seems to cloud up the finish a little around the top of the boat after a few long tows with in a short time span. Buffed rite back to a nice glassy looking finish thou, now I try to wax just before we take a trip and it hasn't seemed to cloud up yet this year. I usually buff the boat twice a year anyhow.