Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Flushing ballast tanks with bleach for mussel inspector

slobu

We are taking our 2010 vlx to a local lake that requires boats with ballast tanks to flush them with a bleach solution as the inspector watches. Dealer says to get a hose that will fit down the ballast drain port and use a funnel to pour the solution into it. I assume I have to do it in each port so all tanks get treated. Anybody doing that? Any other ideas how to do it?

We are taking our 2010 vlx to a local lake that requires boats with ballast tanks to flush them with a bleach solution as the inspector watches. Dealer says to get a hose that will fit down the ballast drain port and use a funnel to pour the solution into it. I assume I have to do it in each port so all tanks get treated. Anybody doing that? Any other ideas how to do it?

if you are going to go to that lake a lot, rig up an impeller pump to suck solution out of a 5 gallon bucket and pump it down the drain ports, otherwise your dealer solution should work.

If you pump or gravity feed it into the drain it will have to be able to flow past the pump, if you pump or gravity feed it into the tank vent / overflow then you might get air forced back out and create some messy burbing of bleach solution. Best bet is to do some testing with plain old water and see what works best and go from there.

I've filled my ballast on the trailer with a fake a lake when troubleshooting. I think the most effective way to actually get bleach in the system would be to add it that way, through the fill pumps. 5 gallon bucket with hose barb at the bottom, hose from the bucket to fake a lake, fill bucket with solution, get bucket high so you have a gravity feed (swim platform would prolly work) then turn on fill pump.

Of course that assumes that the ranger wants you to do something effective rather than just go through a ceremonial but ineffective exercise.

• 2 weeks later...

Made a bleach bong with a bucket and tubing and poured 5% bleach solution into the tanks. Ranger wanted to see each tank half full. Then drove around and waited for an hour with solution in tanks. Came back to testing station, turned on all drain pumps and Ranger verified that bleach solution came out of all tanks. then launched boat, drained tanks and filled with lake water and drained again. All in all, it took about two hours. Wonder how the fishies like all that bleach?

Yeah, bleach isn't too good for the enviro, but it might work against the mussels.?. Pretty intense. Where are you located? I'm not sure some of the other checkpoints or no reason fees are doing much?

Made a bleach bong with a bucket and tubing and poured 5% bleach solution into the tanks. Ranger wanted to see each tank half full. Then drove around and waited for an hour with solution in tanks. Came back to testing station, turned on all drain pumps and Ranger verified that bleach solution came out of all tanks. then launched boat, drained tanks and filled with lake water and drained again. All in all, it took about two hours. Wonder how the fishies like all that bleach?

Yeah not sure about that method to control mussels. Don't these people get that the only way to control the mussles is to outlaw boating all together? (that will never happen) all of these half measures MIGHT slow things down but surely it wont stop them. Dumping bleach in the lake can't be good. Besides my board shorts will fade.

Me and Shawn were at Bullards last weekend.

I drive right past the un-manned kiosk, launch my boat, and have butter all day Thursday.

Friday, I drive up to the manned kiosk and the young girl asks "if I'm aware of the mussles?" End of inspection.

The fastest way is to fill an old ice chest with the mix and use a portable ballast pump with a fitting to fit the fill fitting under the boat. Turn on the fill pump inside the boat and done in 20 min for all 4 tanks. My guy wanted to see the mixture come out of the over flow of each tank. the only issue was that I needed to go to the store first to get the 1 gal of bleach.