Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wet carpet issues with malibu? VS snap out carpet

lookingfor247

I was talking to a dealer about the new Malibu's snap out carpet and he was talking about "ALL" the issue the older models have with the wall to wall carpet and moisture transfering to the storage areas and not drying causing mold issues in the storage area. Has anyone had problems with this?

Can you convert older model boats to snap out carpet? Has anyone done it?

Thanks,

i haven't heard of it being a huge issue. I have the snap out carpet, but I leave it in all the time because it dries fast and feels super plush. Much better than the snap out carpet I had in my previous I/O boat. That stuff was like cheap berber carpeting.

Snap out carpet has to be one of the best boxes you can tick when ordering a new boat. When I ordered mine I didn’t do it as it wasn’t available here until this year, but this option alone makes me want to upgrade.

Drying the carpet after it gets really wet is a massive PITA and it can take months to try out the carpet in the storage compartments.

Just snap it out, hose it down and hang it up to dry....so much better.

Oh and no, you cannot convert an older boat to have snap out carpet....at least without spending a ridiculous amount of money.

We have the snap out and it rules. We actually snap it out before we put the boat up each weekend and let it dry out in the garage. The carpet dries pretty fast, the only issue is it doesn't dry out as fast under the rubber bottom of the carpet. Not to mention if the carpet ever gets stained or damaged, you can just buy a new snap out as opposed to trying to recarpet the whole boat. You want the snap out carpet, well worth the money.

I was talking to a dealer about the new Malibu's snap out carpet and he was talking about "ALL" the issue the older models have with the wall to wall carpet and moisture transfering to the storage areas and not drying causing mold issues in the storage area. Has anyone had problems with this?

Can you convert older model boats to snap out carpet? Has anyone done it?

Thanks,

Maybe it is just me, but I've never had an "issue." Then again, I'm a careful driver, so chili dips are very rare. And, I

make my boarders/skiers/surfers stand on the swim platform for a minute or so to drip and towel off before getting

back into the boat. So, my carpet just doesn't get that wet.

I've been caught out in a heavy rain (not a problem for quite a while here in Texas) where the carpet was soaked,

but after a good wet-vac session and a few hours in the sun, again, no issues. As for the storage areas, they get

even less wet, but what's the down-side of lifting the cushions and letting them air out as well?

Unless you are regularly soaking your carpet, for whatever reasons, I just don't believe its that big of a deal. I had

snap-out carpeting on my last boat (a Chaparral I/O) that I wasn't all that impressed by. Large cabin section was

cumbersome to remove and replace, and it was pretty heavy when soaked [after a power-wash session at the car

wash]. Then, there was the issue of finding a clean spot to unroll/unfold it to let it dry out, then flip it over to let

the underside completely dry, before it was reinstalled.

I sure don't miss it! YMMV.

I think it depends on what kind of climate you live in. I just open the compartments for a few hours & it dries out. :unsure:

We were in Alabama skiing a few weeks ago. Afterwards we hung our towels out to dry on the deck railing. Typical here at home, 3 or 4 hrs outside & a towel is dry. But there, 3 or 4 hrs later the towel was as wet as it was when we hung it out there. Even by morning they were still damp. :Doh:

What do you use the silica gel for?

I put it inside the boat when its covered and it dries everything out in a day or so. I had issues with wet carpet and have to keep it covered when I'm not around. It is not stored near electricity, so a fan is not an option. Search for silica gel on Amazon and a 900 gram container is like 30 bucks. The silica can be heated reused for as long as you own the boat.

Regular carpet.

Store in a storage building or my garage after use.

I just open all the covers and it is warm enough that everything dries.

On a few occasions where we got rained on without the cover, I put a small box fan in to keep lots of air circulating.

Snap out sounds good, but I am not sure where I would hang it to dry.

I actually pour water on my carpet during the summer months. I live in Phoenix and the floor gets so hot that you have to wear shoes or risk burning your skin. Water cools the carpet enough that you can stand on it barefoot. When I get home, I lift up my cushions and leave the boat to dry overnight with the cover off (boat is stored under a carport). The entire boat is bone dry within 8 hours.

To answer your question though, unless you are soaking your carpet with water, you won't have much seepage under your cushions. I never had a problem when I lived in Seattle. Having said all of that, if the cost wasn't too prohibitive, I would spec a boat with the snap in carpeting.

thanks for the info I will definitly get some.

I put it inside the boat when its covered and it dries everything out in a day or so. I had issues with wet carpet and have to keep it covered when I'm not around. It is not stored near electricity, so a fan is not an option. Search for silica gel on Amazon and a 900 gram container is like 30 bucks. The silica can be heated reused for as long as you own the boat.