Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

is wakeskating safer than wakeboarding?

bamabonners

I am brand new to wakeboarding (i grew up on skis and kneeboards). I want to try wakeboarding, but I hear so many horror stories of people getting hurt. I already have have torn left knee that I have been avoiding surgery on.

I am thinking that NOT having your feet strapped to the wakeskate would allow you to fall and not injure knees as easily. Is this thinking correct? I am almost 35 and I know I am not as fit as I was 15 years ago...

No, skating not safer than boarding. Imagine a one foot on, one foot off scenario.

I would disagree. I've never heard of a blown knee on a wakeskate, but I've seen 2 on wakeboards. Mind you, the ratio is about 9:1 wakeboard/wakeskate, but the falls are more natural with nothing attached.

• Like 1

I would disagree. I've never heard of a blown knee on a wakeskate, but I've seen 2 on wakeboards. Mind you, the ratio is about 9:1 wakeboard/wakeskate, but the falls are more natural with nothing attached.

Shaun Murray blew out his knee a number of years ago on a wakeskate. There have been a number of broken femurs on them as well. As stated previously, the injuries happen when one foot is on the board and the other is off of the board.

You can have injuries with either one. I wouldn't say that one is safer than the other. It really depends on what you are doing.

One of my crew blew out her knee wakeboarding a couple of years ago and all she did was land a bit stiff legged on the wake. Nothing exciting, but it did a number on her knee.

We used to have a Houseboat Camp with our church at Shasta which I went on for about 12 years. I treated some wakeboard and wakeskate injuries, but the most numerous and most serious ones were those involving tubing.

Your knees yes but come down on the edge of your wakeskate on your shins and you will think again about it.. They all have there risks, if your worried about your knees that much try surfing...

I've seen a blown out knee on a wakeskate, horrible looking xray also

Your knees yes but come down on the edge of your wakeskate on your shins and you will think again about it.. They all have there risks, if your worried about your knees that much try surfing...

I've seen them lose a finger surfing - at least with skating and boarding they don't actually lose a part

Besides knees, I've seen guys get knocked in the face, racked in the balls, and generally beaten silly by a wakeskate. The fact that it's not connected to ANYTHING means it can come back to hit you at any time.

• Like 2

Besides knees, I've seen guys get knocked in the face, racked in the balls, and generally beaten silly by a wakeskate. The fact that it's not connected to ANYTHING means it can come back to hit you at any time.

...and that's just on the swim platform!!:rofl:

• Like 2

Wow, I'm really surprised at the responses. Every one of us can say, I saw once or heard of.... but the question remains, which is more dangerous for a beginner.

I still stand by my opinion, a wakeboard has higher rate of injury per hour. No one really knows and opinions are like a$$ holes, everyone has one.

i think the risk of injury wakeboarding is something close to snow skiing. no proof just a gut feel. at 50 I am in my 3rd year of wakeboarding and we also wakeskate sometimes. we have both.

Wow, I'm really surprised at the responses. Every one of us can say, I saw once or heard of.... but the question remains, which is more dangerous for a beginner.I still stand by my opinion, a wakeboard has higher rate of injury per hour. No one really knows and opinions are like a$$ holes, everyone has one.

:rofl:

Beginnner with a pre-existing knee injury to be 100% correct. I don't think anyone was trying to change your mind, did you take it that way?

Yep, as mentioned above, one foot on, one foot off spells trouble for the groin. Also, I've got a buddy that wakeskates with the type that has the grip tape on it. You should see his shins! Besides, to me, wakeskating is boring compared to wakeboarding.

• Like 1

Depends if you plan on stuffing the board under water. If you plan on catching an edge regularly (I don't recommend it), a wakeskate is definitely safer.

You should try a real sport like slalom. Those falls don't hurt a bit. :innocent:

Wow, I'm really surprised at the responses. Every one of us can say, I saw once or heard of.... but the question remains, which is more dangerous for a beginner.

I still stand by my opinion, a wakeboard has higher rate of injury per hour. No one really knows and opinions are like a$$ holes, everyone has one.

In my experience beginner wakeboarders don't get injured that often. It's not till they start jumping that they start to wreck knees, ankles, hard faceplants, etc. But beginners might catch an edge & do a faceplant but not very often something that they get hurt on.

I have a buddy who bought a new Ronix wakeskate recently. The double decker one. First day, hit in the nuts. Second day, grip tape is wearing on his feet, toes, knees, etc. He started wearing old shoes after that day. Third day his buddy takes it in the gut. It's barely been a week now & they are so tentative on it that they don't do anything.... just try & stand up without getting hurt. :rofl:

In my experience beginner wakeboarders don't get injured that often. It's not till they start jumping that they start to wreck knees, ankles, hard faceplants, etc. But beginners might catch an edge & do a faceplant but not very often something that they get hurt on.

I have a buddy who bought a new Ronix wakeskate recently. The double decker one. First day, hit in the nuts. Second day, grip tape is wearing on his feet, toes, knees, etc. He started wearing old shoes after that day. Third day his buddy takes it in the gut. It's barely been a week now & they are so tentative on it that they don't do anything.... just try & stand up without getting hurt. :rofl:

06vlx, I didn't think anyone was trying to change my mind, just surprised I wasn't in the majority.

That is funny, but true. I have to agree though, beginners don't seem to get injured as often, but they do get hurt more often.

the fact that the wakeskate isn't attached to my feet means I'm not getting agro with it. Just doing slides, surface 180s, etc. With wakeboard I get more agro. FOR ME liklihood of getting hurt is much higher on wakeboard because I'm going bigger. Skate is just for goofing off.

my wife and her friends rarely wakeboard anymore because they were tired of catching edges. She has had all kinds of injuries from wake boarding (she would kill me if I listed them). About two years ago she started skating and has not had anything close to that (learning similar tricks). I think the worst she has had is bruised shins.

My bud missed the skate with one foot while landing a W2W. His surgeon said it was the most jacked up knee he had ever seen. He had only been on a skate a few times. In ten years of wakeboarding he managed to break a couple of ribs on a failed raley and that's it.

bamabonners............you should give some serious thought to trying out a hydrofoil. REAL easy on the knees.

my girlfriends family just got into watersports just last year when they bought a new boat. They have a history of knee injurys from soccer and they wanted to go bindingless. The first watersport they ever did was wakeskate. Later they got into wakesurfing.

Falls on wakeskates are much intense then being strapped in. you do not get whipped into the water. And there are a lot of smaller tricks you can do wakeskating that you dont do on a wakeboard like lipslides and boardslides on the wake, surface spins, ollies, and shuvits.

They're all contact sports. IMO i greatly fear landing on top of the wakeskate when i skate. I do feel like its probably likely that it will be easier on your knees, but not your body. In fact I'm more afraid of wakeskating than wakeboarding. I've been wakeboarding for years without injury, I've landed on a wakeskate once or twice and that was the end of that. I feel much safer and more secure being attached to what im riding. Just my personal opinion. YMMV. In the end though, just do what's fun to you. Even if i blew my knees repeatedly you wouldn't get me off a wakeboard. you couldnt. pursue your passion and have no regrets.

cheers

if your worried about blowing out a knee, try surfing. it is super easy and you can sit back there all day with out any pain

Even if i blew my knees repeatedly you wouldn't get me off a wakeboard. you couldnt. pursue your passion and have no regrets.

cheers

You say that now. Ever tried a hydrofoil of any kind? Think about it like the dirtbike of watersports. Most all of us are old wakeboarders, skiers or footers who left it behind.

The last wakeboard I owned, Shapiro was still working with Hyperlite. It was the red/black honeycomb twin tail. The sensation of flight & big air just took over. :crazy:

You'd be surprised at how many guys have a similar story too. Bad knees, ankles, hips, etc. The foil addiction can suck you in just like wakeboarding did.