Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Motor Box Insulation

doughickey

Last year, a bunch of us insulated our motor boxes. Did it work. Answers were yes, no, maybe, depends. The last answer is the most correct = "depends". It depends on how much of a drop in sound you're looking for... and at what speed. The two double kits from Overton cost about $150 total if I recall.

Here's the post I made on MBO with the dB results "before/after". I'm a geeky guy sometimes. Rather than opinions, I want data. Then the data is what helps form/validate an opinion.

Data: The data says there is an INCREDIBLE difference at slowspeeds. 10-12 dB is a HUGE drop in sound. (Slow = exhaust tips underwater and motor is idling.) At speed, (speed = exhaust tips above water and boat is moving fast enough for wind noise to add to the reacket), there is negligible difference.

Opinion: Worth the effort to install... although a bit of a PITA. If I was ordering a new boat from the factory, I would absolutely have them do the job.

Finally have some BEFORE and AFTER sound measurements. Did the Overton's installation, did NOT cover up the drink holders; left the small gap (for ventilation) in the motor box at the rear.(1998 RLX; 310 carb)

My apologies.... I only took "C" scale ratings BEFORE.

I took "A" (human range) and "C" measurements afterwards.

NET SUMMARY: Makes a TREMENDOUS difference at slow speeds....ie, when the exhaust outlets are UNDER water. At planing speed, not much difference. Am I glad I did the PITA project.... YES! What an incredible difference for slow speed travel with the family. At speed.... who cares... I love that throughty rumble.

The results: A drop of 10-12 DB in the front area at slow speed!!! A slight drop (1-3 DB at 36 mph. At speed, it seems like ALL the noise is coming from the exhaust outlets..... NOT the motor box area.... and wind.

BEFORE: "C" Scale Only;

At Idle: Driver Seat 82-85 DB

Passenger Seat: 82-85 DB

Rear Seat 82 - 85 DB

At 36 MPH: Drivers Seat 98 - 101 DB

Passenger 98 - 101 DB

Rear Seat 103 - 104

AFTER: "C" Scale

At Idle: Driver Seat 71-74 DB

Passenger Seat: 71-73 DB

Rear Seat 72-74 DB

At 36 MPH: Drivers Seat 98 - 102 DB

Passenger Not taken

Rear Seat Not Taken

AFTER: "A" Scale

At Idle: Driver Seat 60-62 DB

Passenger Seat: 58-61 DB

Rear Seat 60-62 DB

At 36 MPH: Drivers Seat 87 - 89 DB

Passenger 87 - 89 DB

Rear Seat 100-102 DB

NET NET NET: YES, it's worth doing this project !!!

Thanks, Doug, for posting your research.

For those that want to go forward without a kit, McMaster-Carr carries some foil-faced foam insulation that has been reported to be similar to the Overtons kit. I believe it is p/n 5692T35 on this page, but I could be wrong...does anyone know for sure?

Thanks, Doug, for posting your research.

For those that want to go forward without a kit, McMaster-Carr carries some foil-faced foam insulation that has been reported to be similar to the Overtons kit. I believe it is p/n 5692T35 on this page, but I could be wrong...does anyone know for sure?

Wakegirl can probably confirm this one since she insulated her engine cover.

p/n 5692T35

That's the part #. It comes 54" wide, I got 8' and had a little left over but not much. Get 3M spray adhesive and some aluminum tape from home depot and have at it!

• 5 years later...

hey everyone, i'm back from the dead and bringing this thread with me. i am now an adult(25) with a steady income, so i'm looking to throw down the cash to insulate my motorbox.

questions:

-what is the difference between the "A" and "C" scales?

-what materials did you use?

-where'd you buy them?

-total cost?

-will this stuff stay stuck to the motor box in 115F heat when i'm at the river this summer?

thanks everyone.

EDIT: nevermind. i found this: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/articles/motorbox_insulation

Edited by madchild

hey everyone, i'm back from the dead and bringing this thread with me. i am now an adult(25) with a steady income, so i'm looking to throw down the cash to insulate my motorbox.

questions:

-what is the difference between the "A" and "C" scales?-what materials did you use?

-where'd you buy them?

-total cost?

-will this stuff stay stuck to the motor box in 115F heat when i'm at the river this summer?

thanks everyone.

EDIT: nevermind. i found this: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/articles/motorbox_insulation

B? :unsure:

As doughickey says, A closer approximates human hearing, or read more here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-Scale_Sound_Level

Edited by MalibuTime

ah, i sort of got it. it's basically beyond me, or maybe just my interest level, haha. i'll just take y'alls word for it.

I can't give actual numbers but my head feels a lot better now. BTW, I used a very thick 1 3/8" composite called Quiet Barrier from MarineFoam.com. This stuff has a decoupler, barrier, and absorber. If you call them they'll point you to the right product. Mine was actually slightly damaged, surplus stock sold at a discount. Does it work better than the Overton's? Once again, I can't say, but it's what is in my boat!

I think for the ultimate you have to install exhaust system mufflers as well.