Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Malibu Owner here with a few questions

WoodyBC

Hello everyone, I'm a new Malibu owner and have been reading all of your great posts. I just purchased a 2001 Malibu Sunsetter LXI with the 325hp engine. Boat is in beautiful shape with 346hrs on it. I've owned a boat for the last 6 years (Rinker I/O) but always wanted to step up. I was hoping to get some opinions on some things prior to wrecking anything.

How many skiiers can I pull at once, we wanted to do this just for fun. Probably pull everyone on doubles just to get going. And do I attach them all to the pylon? I do not have a tower.

Also, I paid 18k for the boat with about 1k worth of extras, ski's, ropes, jackets.. I think I did pretty good. Boat is in awesome shape. No marks on the bottom of the hull, and the interior looks new. Thanks in advance! There are some awesome boats pics here. I'll try to get some of my own soon.

Woody

That sounds like a great price. I love my SSLXI. The boat will pull whatever you hook it up to, so the limit is how many can you handle. If I were going to pull more multiple skiers, I would probably use the D rings and the rear tow hook as well as the pylon. That will help with the spacing. I am guessing their maybe a limit on the pylon, but its pretty sturdy.

Depends on the size of the skier. If you are dealing with 200 lb men, I would not put more than 3 or 4 on the pylon. You can run a strap from the pylon to your front D ring to prevent the pylon from being pulled back. If you do that, you could certainly pull more than 3 or 4 skiers.

"D ring"? The chrome ring in the bow? Forgive my novice grasp of the terms, just want to get it right the first time. My last boat, which was actually my first boat ever, I owned six days and did $2300 in damage. Turned the prop into a flower and bent the shaft into a really cool shape. I did however learn a new term in the insurance industry. "Unforseen underwater obstruction". My agent was not impressed.

Edited by WoodyBC

How many are you thinking, how big are they, and are they all on slalom skis? I've pulled 6 from our pylon before, but a couple of them were 100 lb kids and a few people were getting up on combos then kicking a ski once they were up.

martinarcher

Congrats! Great boat for a great price!

You could probably put 3 or 4 on the pylon, a couple on the rear grab handle where it is set up to accept a rope and a few on each of the transom D rings (stainless rings on the back of the boat that you use to tie it to the trailer).

There's a pic of someone's Sporty pulling well over a dozen skiers somewhere on the board.

These guys stopped at 114

Ha! I just got a call from those guys a few weeks ago. Their goin for a new record again this January. Invited us to come out & join them for it. What a way to make the trip that would be. :rockon:

martinarcher

Ha! I just got a call from those guys a few weeks ago. Their goin for a new record again this January. Invited us to come out & join them for it. What a way to make the trip that would be. :rockon:

No doubt! What a mess of rope! Unsure.gif

No doubt! What a mess of rope! Unsure.gif

Yea, Our role in theSeattle attempt in 2000 was to handle the rope. I put together about 30 foil riders & we spent the entire time handling ropes. In exchange we got some time to do our own world record attempt.

Honestly, I had more fun riding on the cat walks, 10' above the water, than anything else.

martinarcher

Yea, Our role in theSeattle attempt in 2000 was to handle the rope. I put together about 30 foil riders & we spent the entire time handling ropes. In exchange we got some time to do our own world record attempt.

Honestly, I had more fun riding on the cat walks, 10' above the water, than anything else.

Looks like a blast! Rockon.gif

Gotcha, the D on the back of the boat, makes sense, duh told you I was a newbie! ha. I was planning on 4-5 guys max, start off on two ski's and those that can, drop one. Thats a great idea to put one each on the D's and one on the grab handle, and a few on the pylon. I really appreciate the advice guys, and I absolutely love this boat. Cant believe its taken me so long to pull the trigger. Thanks again!

Woody

martinarcher

Gotcha, the D on the back of the boat, makes sense, duh told you I was a newbie! ha. I was planning on 4-5 guys max, start off on two ski's and those that can, drop one. Thats a great idea to put one each on the D's and one on the grab handle, and a few on the pylon. I really appreciate the advice guys, and I absolutely love this boat. Cant believe its taken me so long to pull the trigger. Thanks again!

Woody

No worries! Have fun out there and get some pics of the group skiing! Thumbup.gif It's a great boat. My uncle had one for years - it was an awesome boat. Rockon.gif

Awesome, thanks everyone. I thought I was getting a good deal, the seller was very particular about taking care of it, as I am.

What is the best kind of wax to put on the gel coat to keep the water spots to a minimum? Also the boat does not have a depth sounder, my lake isn't an issue but after beating the heck out of the bottom of other lakes I'd like to get one before I venture out in unknown waters. Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks,

Woody

Awesome, thanks everyone. I thought I was getting a good deal, the seller was very particular about taking care of it, as I am.

What is the best kind of wax to put on the gel coat to keep the water spots to a minimum? Also the boat does not have a depth sounder, my lake isn't an issue but after beating the heck out of the bottom of other lakes I'd like to get one before I venture out in unknown waters. Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks,

Woody

Woody, get some pics up of that bad boy! :rockon:

Congrads! I have "99" and have pulled 3 adult footers from a deepwater start without any problems, We have also had 8 wakeboarders on at once pulling from the tower,pylon,boom and transom. The only issues are the interior seat skins not lasting as they should. If they havn't been replaced you will. I have over 1500 hours without any problems and a friend with the same year has over 2800 hrs with only fluid and filter changes, and he spends most of his time footin at WOT. Your family will love it as a all around performer.

Woody

4-5 guys is no problem. Ski teams have been pulling 12 or more on combos with no problems. Around the boat routines pull 5 out of the water on slalom with no problems. If there is any worry on the Pylon just use a strap from the pylon to front to eliminate flexing of pylon.

Enjoy the boat.

4-5 guys is no problem. Ski teams have been pulling 12 or more on combos with no problems. Around the boat routines pull 5 out of the water on slalom with no problems. If there is any worry on the Pylon just use a strap from the pylon to front to eliminate flexing of pylon.

Enjoy the boat.

True. The boat will fail to pull them out before the pylon will let go. I've seen a Response with the 383 Hammerhead at WOT and not moving with all skiers attached to the pylon. They never ended up getting those people out of the water.