Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Price Check?

imoveteeth

I'm looking at buying my first Malibu Wakesetter LSV and I'm in negotiations on price. I've found a boat I really like the but the price seems high. I'd love to hear some feedback from some of you.

Attached is the quote they have provided me - he claims this is not the real MSRP, that the actual MSRP would be around 104K and 81,900 is the selling price. Seems like it is missing some options for it be that high. Its a 2011 model with about 30 hours that they have demoed on it. They have offered me 14K for my trade for 1999 Regal LSC 2450.

I'm just trying to make sure I'm not being taken to the cleaners. I like the boat alot and the dealership seems great - I really like the salesperson. I've attached the quote. Your feedback is appreciated...

I've heard others getting loaded LSVs for mid 70s. What do you think?

Is it a 23 or 247 and what motor and options does it have

LSV 23 with 350 Monsoon...Click on the "Quote" above for all options...

81K is within 5K or so for a boat with those options. Thats not the biggest issue though---and its irrelavant if you like the sales guy or not...you'll likely not deal with him again the second you take delivery of the boat. Have you met the dealership owner? Have you met the most important man in your life the second you hand over the check-- the service manager??? Will he look at your issue within hrs, ahead of others to get you back on the water? Will he give you a loaner Malibu if you boat goes down for more than 5 days or so? Will he come out to your dock to make a repair? Do they keep any parts in stock so you dont have to wait days for silly stuff? What is their policy? Who comes first? Will they work weekends, afterhours to get you back on the water? Not all dealships treat warranty work the same...and understand, dealers work to make money and warranty work isnt the highest paying work out there.

The big thing to consider here and that really matters is the dealer owner and service manager...... and how he treats his customers POST sale. If it is an A++++ post sale type service dealership, and they are certainly out there, that boat is def worth 81K. If they want to act like they dont know you after the sale, make you wait 2 weeks to diagnose a problem, that boat is NOT worth 81K. You get what you pay for in dealerships. Squabble over the dealership, not neccesarily the price of the boat.

Right now you are not asking the right questons IMHO. Trust me on this, not all Malubu dealers are the same, and THAT is what makes the ownership experience pleasant or not....not an extra 20$ month in the payment or 5K more for the boat. I reccomend you find folks that have bought boats from them, and get into the nuts and bolts of your treatment post sale with the owner and sales manager. THATS what determines if you get a great deal or not. Def not the specific price of the boat or the personality of the sales guy.

81K is within 5K or so for a boat with those options. Thats not the biggest issue though---and its irrelavant if you like the sales guy or not...you'll likely not deal with him again the second you take delivery of the boat. Have you met the dealership owner? Have you met the most important man in your life the second you hand over the check-- the service manager??? Will he look at your issue within hrs, ahead of others to get you back on the water? Will he give you a loaner Malibu if you boat goes down for more than 5 days or so? Will he come out to your dock to make a repair? Do they keep any parts in stock so you dont have to wait days for silly stuff? What is their policy? Who comes first? Will they work weekends, afterhours to get you back on the water? Not all dealships treat warranty work the same...and understand, dealers work to make money and warranty work isnt the highest paying work out there.

The big thing to consider here and that really matters is the dealer owner and service manager...... and how he treats his customers POST sale. If it is an A++++ post sale type service dealership, and they are certainly out there, that boat is def worth 81K. If they want to act like they dont know you after the sale, make you wait 2 weeks to diagnose a problem, that boat is NOT worth 81K. You get what you pay for in dealerships. Squabble over the dealership, not neccesarily the price of the boat.

Right now you are not asking the right questons IMHO. Trust me on this, not all Malubu dealers are the same, and THAT is what makes the ownership experience pleasant or not....not an extra 20$ month in the payment or 5K more for the boat. I reccomend you find folks that have bought boats from them, and get into the nuts and bolts of your treatment post sale with the owner and sales manager. THATS what determines if you get a great deal or not. Def not the specific price of the boat or the personality of the sales guy.

Thanks for the extended response!

From what I understand, their team is top notch. The good thing is that they actually come down to my lake which is 5 hours away and service the boats. In fact, they were down there this weekend and serviced about 18 boats. They had a big customer appreciation event since they have put so many on that particular lake. I actually met the owner on Saturday - it turns out I've had drinks with him before and he's friends with a mutual friend. Another customer I met this week said their service is top notch. The sales manager used to give lessons professionally and even offered to come down with us for the weekend to help the family get better. Its a good thing they are good, because there really isn't another dealer in the area and it seems most won't sell out of their territory anyways. Can't say if they will provide a loaner boat, but I'm not using the boat on a daily basis anyways - more like every couple of weeks. I'm hoping the quality is good enough on a new boat that I won't need the service manager that much!

I spoke more with the salesman and they agreed to sweeten the deal by throwing in docking lights and underwater lights and give me a heck of a deal on upgrading the 4 tower speakers to Wetsounds. Its starting to sound like a better deal...The added bonus is helping me get rid of my current boat.

From what I understand, their team is top notch. The good thing is that they actually come down to my lake which is 5 hours away and service the boats. In fact, they were down there this weekend and serviced about 18 boats. They had a big customer appreciation event since they have put so many on that particular lake. I actually met the owner on Saturday - it turns out I've had drinks with him before and he's friends with a mutual friend. Another customer I met this week said their service is top notch. The sales manager used to give lessons professionally and even offered to come down with us for the weekend to help the family get better. Its a good thing they are good, because there really isn't another dealer in the area and it seems most won't sell out of their territory anyways. Can't say if they will provide a loaner boat, but I'm not using the boat on a daily basis anyways - more like every couple of weeks. I'm hoping the quality is good enough on a new boat that I won't need the service manager that much!

Don't be fooled! Although it will be a new boat, boats are not like cars. Many times boats have a "break" in period. This is not a brand specific thing and most any boat will have to have the kinks/bugs worked out of them. Just saying this so you do realize that there could be problems with a brand new boat and don't be disappointed in your choice. That being said I also have heard about low 80's on a loaded 2011 from the dealer here which I do not feel has the service to get my business again.

Don't be fooled! Although it will be a new boat, boats are not like cars. Many times boats have a "break" in period. This is not a brand specific thing and most any boat will have to have the kinks/bugs worked out of them. Just saying this so you do realize that there could be problems with a brand new boat and don't be disappointed in your choice. That being said I also have heard about low 80's on a loaded 2011 from the dealer here which I do not feel has the service to get my business again.

I understand - I'm just hoping they are minimal dropping that kind of buck on a boat!

Looks like your BU is similar to the one I'm considering - I've attached some pics.

Based on the pictures, and judging by the showroom, I think you're getting a top notch dealer.

Thanks - Must look familiar to you!

:thumbup:

look at the year/model of my boat and think for a minute why I might write the way I did. Just pointing out likely the most important aspect of high end boat buying most folks dont consider till way afterwards and they take it in the arse. Its kind of like bartering for hours the price of a 300K house for a few K then getting hosed on your financing and loosing $50k over the life of the loan. Having drinks with the owner..."offering" lessons etc....entirely different then getting specifics and doing your homework on their service plans and how they do business. I would submit, no dealer, not even with 4 of the best mechanics and a van of parts could diagnose, service and repair 18 boats within a weekend with assorted probems across a lake. either thats an exageration or you are not getting the whole truth. How long did those 18 boats have to stay off the water till they made the 5hr trip down there? Rhetorical questions.

But if you have several of his customers saying they do good work, that is good. Do consider a 10hr round trip if you need work done on the boat at the dealer-that is major a$$ pain. Just pointing out what I consider the most important aspect of the purchase, I think you get the point. Also, we as a crew need to start rewarding those good dealers out there with loyalty, and avoid the ones I am warning you about. Good luck on your purchase-

hey Teeth, where you located?

looove the white tower.

Originally from Texas, but now live in Ohio...I'm still a Cowboys fan though! I just like the colors and the metal flake on the boat - really pops on the water....

Edited by imoveteeth

Throw in the Wetsounds and looks like you are getting a pretty good price on that loaded boat. It is also on the cut diamond hull which means you should be able to do some recreational skiing as well.

Nice looking boat too.

look at the year/model of my boat and think for a minute why I might write the way I did. Just pointing out likely the most important aspect of high end boat buying most folks dont consider till way afterwards and they take it in the arse. Its kind of like bartering for hours the price of a 300K house for a few K then getting hosed on your financing and loosing $50k over the life of the loan. Having drinks with the owner..."offering" lessons etc....entirely different then getting specifics and doing your homework on their service plans and how they do business. I would submit, no dealer, not even with 4 of the best mechanics and a van of parts could diagnose, service and repair 18 boats within a weekend with assorted probems across a lake. either thats an exageration or you are not getting the whole truth. How long did those 18 boats have to stay off the water till they made the 5hr trip down there? Rhetorical questions.

But if you have several of his customers saying they do good work, that is good. Do consider a 10hr round trip if you need work done on the boat at the dealer-that is major a$$ pain. Just pointing out what I consider the most important aspect of the purchase, I think you get the point. Also, we as a crew need to start rewarding those good dealers out there with loyalty, and avoid the ones I am warning you about. Good luck on your purchase-

Nyryan has a very valid point. I learned the hardway when I bought my boat back in 2005 (sold in 2010). Was excited to buy and get it. But once I had a problem, bingo bango. I was left hanging and scrambling to find someone close to repair under warranty. Definelty ask other customers and get there feed back.

On another note, very sharpe looking boat. Good luck!!

Where you at or near in Ohio Teeth?

Dont be afraid to ask for a few phone numbers from former buyers from say two years ago and chat with them.

It's a big purchase, then if you do pull the trigger, you can feel like you crossed all the i's and dotted the t's.

Steve B.

(in akron)

I did not purchase my boat new so I do not expect the dealer to bend over backwards for me. But I have dealt with the dealer in question ( I think ) a few times over the years and they have always been honest, fair and do really good work.

Where you at or near in Ohio Teeth?

Dont be afraid to ask for a few phone numbers from former buyers from say two years ago and chat with them.

It's a big purchase, then if you do pull the trigger, you can feel like you crossed all the i's and dotted the t's.

Steve B.

(in akron)

I'm from Mason, just north of Cincinnati. Where do you hail from?

I just pulled the trigger on the boat yesterday...I'm super excited. The dealer has been super great t work with and after several very pointed questions, I feel very comfortable with the dealer...

Thanks everybody for all the advice and feedback. I just wish I had more summer left now!

I purchased a demo boat also. It had about 8 hours on it when I took delivery. My thought was the dealer would have fixed any issues that weren't quite right from the factory. We took delivery in December so the pricing was different than yours. Mine also has the cut diamond hull and most of the options your has minus the snap out carpet. We have about 60 hours on the boat this year and really like the boat. Being as far from the dealer as you are I am sure you will be happy the dealer already put some hours on it. You can be sure he would have fixed any issues as he would want the boat to be perfect when bringing out customers.