Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Way too many wakesurf boards to choose from!!!

Bilge Rat

I'm thinking a new board, but am getting a bit overwhelmed by the selection out there. I'm about 200 lbs, intermediate surfer, a middle-aged guy that doesn't wish to do lots of tricks. I mostly like surf-style riding, cutting into the wave, cruising behind the boat, but not needing to do spins or shuvits or anything like that. Currently on a CWB Ride. We've got the wave on our 247 LSV pretty well dialed-in. If I were to improve my current ride, this is what I would like: a faster ride so I can get back into the wave if I fall back a bit far, less tendency to nose dive, easy to cutback on. Any suggestions on brand, model, length? TIA.

The fastest and most durable board I've ridden and seen (havent used or seen them all) is the triple x slayer with inegra fabric wrap. I rode the 5' model and it was insane. I like the triple x slasher pro x a little more just because its thinner but its also pretty fragile as with all fiberglassed foam boards.

I'm thinking a new board, but am getting a bit overwhelmed by the selection out there. I'm about 200 lbs, intermediate surfer, a middle-aged guy that doesn't wish to do lots of tricks. I mostly like surf-style riding, cutting into the wave, cruising behind the boat, but not needing to do spins or shuvits or anything like that. Currently on a CWB Ride. We've got the wave on our 247 LSV pretty well dialed-in. If I were to improve my current ride, this is what I would like: a faster ride so I can get back into the wave if I fall back a bit far, less tendency to nose dive, easy to cutback on. Any suggestions on brand, model, length? TIA.

Do you have a dealer who allows you to demo, There are quite a few who will let you take one out and if you don't like it take another, I would look into that, Theses boards aren't cheep and if your stuck with one you hate that would suck... I demoed 8 boards before settled for the one i have, :surfing:

Do you have a dealer who allows you to demo, :surfing:

Thanks for the suggestion. I admit I haven't thought of that. I'll check around and see if anybody in my area does this.

The fastest and most durable board I've ridden and seen (havent used or seen them all) is the triple x slayer with inegra fabric wrap. I rode the 5' model and it was insane. I like the triple x slasher pro x a little more just because its thinner but its also pretty fragile as with all fiberglassed foam boards.

06. In another post you mentioned you had a Triple X Nitro coming. How'd that compare to the Slasher? I'm torn between the two right now.

06. In another post you mentioned you had a Triple X Nitro coming. How'd that compare to the Slasher? I'm torn between the two right now.

For my riding taste I thought the slasher was better suited, they rode similar enough that I sold the new Nitro and kept the Slasher I'd been riding. The Nitro will be way tougher since it's epoxy. Bakes should have both these in stock. They don't offer them online at this time so you'll have to call them.

Bilge Rat, if you are near the Bay Area you should go to California Marine Sports and demo some boards or talk to them for some advice. They demo shred stixx, inland surfer, walker project, phase 5, and soulcraft boards.

Bilge Rat, if you are near the Bay Area you should go to California Marine Sports and demo some boards or talk to them for some advice. They demo shred stixx, inland surfer, walker project, phase 5, and soulcraft boards.

thanks to all.

Hey wakemitch, is there water close by that shop so I can bring my boat up and try some boards? If not, I'll have to drive up, get some demo boards, and come back to my home lake. Looks like I'm probably a 3+ hour drive to that shop.

Got me an inland surfer sweet spot after riding a LF venture. Night and day difference! I started surfing this summer (no wakeboard background) and landed my first wake 360 last weekend! Loving the sweet spot its super fast and super nimble! I can surf further back and recover from way further back lovin it!

Bilge Rat, CMS is located right on a launch ramp in Suisun, but I would recommend going to lake berryessa which is 45 minutes away

Thanks again. Sorry to keep bugging you about this, but why would you recommend Berryessa over Suisun? Having a launch at the shop sounds pretty awfully convenient!!!

Got me an inland surfer sweet spot after riding a LF venture. Night and day difference! I started surfing this summer (no wakeboard background) and landed my first wake 360 last weekend! Loving the sweet spot its super fast and super nimble! I can surf further back and recover from way further back lovin it!

Yeah Turbo, my research is starting to lead me toward an Inland Surfer board also. I'm looking at some different models than yours, but maybe I'll try your model as well.

jkendallmsce

Thanks again. Sorry to keep bugging you about this, but why would you recommend Berryessa over Suisun? Having a launch at the shop sounds pretty awfully convenient!!!

The launch at Suisun is a nice ramp...and after launching the boat 5 minutes you can be surfing. Freebe if I remember. The drive to Berryessa, although i have not pulled a boat would be a PITA.

It's just nicer at Berryessa. Its a big lake. The sloughs here in suisun are narrow and can be very shallow

Gotcha Mitch. Shallow as in "danger-to-the-hull-and-prop" shallow, OR "less-than-optimum-surf-wave" shallow?

Also if you can make it to one of the contests and go a day early you can ride lots of different boards and get lots of tech info from the builders and riders.

The Worlds are coming up this Sept 23-24 in Parker, AZ