Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine temperature sensor and temperature switch

The Hydro Foiling Plumber

I have been working on a high temp issue with my 97 Malibu Sunsetter with the Monsoon engine. Here is some background of what I have done so far.

The high temp light comes on but the temp gauge is reading 160 - 170 range...so I shut off the engine and checked the impeller temp and it was normal temperature. I disconnected the discharge hose from the water pump to the transmission cooler and checked for debris...it was clean.

When I got home I grounded out the temperature sensor and the gauge jumps up to 200 degrees and the high temp light comes on. I remove the wire that I used to ground out the sensor and the gauge drops back down and then the light stays on; I then grounded the sensor again and when I removed the wire the light goes off. I ran the boat again yesterday and continued to check the impeller to make sure that the engine was not getting hot; but again I kept getting random high temp light.

My question is does the temperatur sensor make the high temp light come on or is it the temperature switch?

I am probably going to change them both, but I would like to know which one does what?

Temperature sensor

Temperature switch

Thanks in advance for your help.

Keith

I have been working on a high temp issue with my 97 Malibu Sunsetter with the Monsoon engine. Here is some background of what I have done so far.

The high temp light comes on but the temp gauge is reading 160 - 170 range...so I shut off the engine and checked the impeller temp and it was normal temperature. I disconnected the discharge hose from the water pump to the transmission cooler and checked for debris...it was clean.

When I got home I grounded out the temperature sensor and the gauge jumps up to 200 degrees and the high temp light comes on. I remove the wire that I used to ground out the sensor and the gauge drops back down and then the light stays on; I then grounded the sensor again and when I removed the wire the light goes off. I ran the boat again yesterday and continued to check the impeller to make sure that the engine was not getting hot; but again I kept getting random high temp light.

My question is does the temperatur sensor make the high temp light come on or is it the temperature switch?

I am probably going to change them both, but I would like to know which one does what?

Temperature sensor

Temperature switch

Thanks in advance for your help.

Keith

The temperature sensor is an analogue device that varies voltage feedback for your gauge and possibly engine management system depending on what vintage the boat is. The temperature switch is will sound an alarm and light your panel light once a certain temperature is reached. The boat will operate fine without the switch but the not the sensor. If your getting random lights it will be the switch. Check the wire that goes to the switch, you will find that it also goes to other temperature switches such as transmission fluid. Look for a loose connection first as that could cause what you are seeing.