Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Nut Cone

chathamsolutions

Please excuse my ignorance.

Looking at Chaabo's gallery I found this:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....cmd=si&img=1551

My boat doesn't have one, I've never seen one, what is it?

Is it specific to DD's?

Is it something only a slalom rider would understand, IE 'A tool used to shrink the wake.'

Or is it plain and simple BLING BABY!, only visible to those behind you when you're towing?

IE Polished Wedge plate.

I have never seen one either but I would have to imagine it would eleiminate the turbulane caused by a hex nut and a bent cotter pin spinning at high RPM in the water.

This came up on the WSR site a while back. IRC it just a coolness factor that is worth $30 to $40. I'm sure Chaabo will fill in the details soon.

Off the WRS thread post by Onamission:

"It threads onto the shaft over the prop nut and locks with a set screw, you do need to take the cotter pin off."

Am I the only one that would be concerned about galling up the threads of the shaft with the use of a set screw? And if this thing threads on over the nut, what is keeping the nut from backing off inside the cone? Is there a shoulder inside this thing that seats up against the nut? :unsure:

"It threads onto the shaft over the prop nut and locks with a set screw, you do need to take the cotter pin off."

Am I the only one that would be concerned about galling up the threads of the shaft with the use of a set screw? And if this thing threads on over the nut, what is keeping the nut from backing off inside the cone? Is there a shoulder inside this thing that seats up against the nut? :unsure:

The set screw locks onto the prop nut which has a nyloc bushing in it to prevent it from backing off. Looked up the price from Acme last year and it was $34.45 with shipping.

The set screw locks onto the prop nut which has a nyloc bushing in it to prevent it from backing off. Looked up the price from Acme last year and it was $34.45 with shipping.

If this is true, what is the point of the cotter pin?

If this is true, what is the point of the cotter pin?

The cone nut acts as a "locknut" if you will. You tighten it against the prop nut then tighten the set screw against the prop nut. The two nuts tightened against each other cause a binding in the threads that prevent them from backing off. Without the double-nut effect the cotter pin is your safety.

Hope that's clear...though it doesn't seem to be. Crazy.gif:lol:

As most info is given - I installed it with Loctite to be sure not to loose it (and the prop). Surprised.gif

Looks ultra cool - but usually nobody really notice that item. So it's a total WOM. Crazy.gif

It's called "Fair Water Cap" and is available directly through ACME for less than 30 USD.

(If you order it be sure to get the one for the 1 1/8 shaft!)

post-334-1136448522_thumb.jpg

Is it specific to DD's?

Is it something only a slalom rider would understand, IE 'A tool used to shrink the wake.'

Or is it plain and simple BLING BABY!, only visible to those behind you when you're towing?

IE Polished Wedge plate.

WSM did a test on these and they allow VDs to steer in reverse.

I love it, gotta have one. I love useless bling. I'll waste $30 at Walmart this week, might as well be used for help with the coolness factor.

Is it specific to DD's?

IE Polished Wedge plate.

:lol::lol: Edited by madchild
what is the thing on the rudder?

Turn signal. :unsure: That way, when the fish are up close checkin' out your bling (prop nut cone) they'll know which way the boat is going to turn. Biggrin.gif

Is it specific to DD's?

IE Polished Wedge plate.

Don't tempt Andy like that!

And who wants VD anyway? You don't hear much about it anymore, but it's still out there. The gift that keeps on giving.