Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Saying goodbye

wakedv

:cry: We've decided that this will be our last summer with the Bu, one more trip to the Shuswap coming up and then she goes up for sale. Time to find another addiction for me for a while, I will miss many things about the boating lifestyle. We find our kids now have their own lives(24, 19, 17) and don't wish to come out on the boat much anymore, although my 19 year old was ticked off when he heard we were selling. Luckily I still have some freinds with boats so I should be able to bum a few rides every now and then to get my surfing fix. :surfing:

PS: will have a loaded 2006 Vride for sale on Aug 22.

Edited by wakedv
MalibuNation

:cry: We've decided that this will be our last summer with the Bu, one more trip to the Shuswap coming up and then she goes up for sale. Time to find another addiction for me for a while, I will miss many things about the boating lifestyle. We find our kids now have their own lives(24, 19, 17) and don't wish to come out on the boat much anymore, although my 19 year old was ticked off when he heard we were selling. Luckily I still have some freinds with boats so I should be able to bum a few rides every now and then to get my surfing fix. :surfing:

I dread what you are going through ... getting rid of the boat ... leaving this site, don't know which would be worse.

I purchased my boat from a guy in the same situation as you. His kids weren't into boating anymore so he said, "why keep it ?". The good news is that soon enough your kids will have a family of their own and you will be towing around grand kids with your 2025 Malibu!! My boys are 6 and 3, I have years of enjoyment ahead of me, but will probably be in the same situation as you are at some point too....

I dread what you are going through ... getting rid of the boat ... leaving this site, don't know which would be worse.

I hope I never have to go through it!

I purchased my boat from a guy in the same situation as you. His kids weren't into boating anymore so he said, "why keep it ?". The good news is that soon enough your kids will have a family of their own and you will be towing around grand kids with your 2025 Malibu!! My boys are 6 and 3, I have years of enjoyment ahead of me, but will probably be in the same situation as you are at some point too....

Same way I bought mine!

Why does one have do do with the other? You can still use it can't you?

I'm kidding. Thats too bad. It sounds like you have some good memories with the family though.

Good luck.

Randy, what the Heck! Are you just going to Burn all of Darens gas next year? I will give you a pull any time you are down this way. Maybe you should trade it for a pontoon? :cry:

I know how you feel. We seem to be headed that way also? :cry: Kids are loosing interest this year. I love being on the water but find it a bit hard to get behind the boat this year ( my son was my driver ) and find ourselves doing more cruising then anything, something these boats are not really designed for. We have been looking at new boats for two years now with the anticipation that the kids would get into it more as they got older. I spent every weekend at the pond camping when I was 19 to thru my mid 20s with a friend that had a boat, and assumed the kids may show more interest as the got a bit older, but unfortunately its gone the other way. We have actually talked about getting a deep V outdrive boat again thats a bit better in chop for just cruising.

All of us 'kids' are out of the house with our own kids and we still get together with my parents and all go boating on Sunday mornings. It's one of the few times the entire family is together.

in many many years, when my kids are the same age as yours, I have a deal with the wife to sell the 'bu, buy a 40+ ft sailboat and spend a year on the ocean. bu might be gone, at least we'll be sailing off into the sunset

Getting rid of the 'bu doesn't mean you can't post and give your .02 cents on stuff !

Hope all works out well for you and hope someway you keep the boat :)

Steve B.

I use my boat with my boys whenever they want to but I use it even more with my slalom buddies to get our sets. The kids not wanting to go out doesn't necessarily mean you have to get rid of it. Just saying......

Wow, this thread has taken an interesting trip...... I have to agree with most everyone. Kids & getting out on the boat have little or nothing to do with how/when I do it.

We don't even have kids. I'll be pushing 50 before long, and can't even imagine not having a boat. I've had sailboats, a dingy, a Hobie Cat, a pontoon, a SeaRay, a Mastercraft & now the Malibu..... and a paddleboard! I'm sure by the time it's over I'll have a cabin cruiser, maybe another pontoon, and who knows what else.

I hope you guys have fun doin whatever you end up doing.

MalibuNation

Wow, this thread has taken an interesting trip...... I have to agree with most everyone. Kids & getting out on the boat have little or nothing to do with how/when I do it.

We don't even have kids. I'll be pushing 50 before long, and can't even imagine not having a boat. I've had sailboats, a dingy, a Hobie Cat, a pontoon, a SeaRay, a Mastercraft & now the Malibu..... and a paddleboard! I'm sure by the time it's over I'll have a cabin cruiser, maybe another pontoon, and who knows what else.

Following this thread ... all I can say is I'm 55 and I boat with a lot of adults but very few liked to be pulled ... I wakeboard with mainly kids under 20 (I'm 55 going on 13 where as most 13 year olds are going on 30). This weekend will be an exception I'll be wakeboarding with 3 others + or - 40 years old ... none have ever gotten up but I'm a good teacher ... glad to see them trying!

hey we just bought our first paddle boat as well, will not replace my love for the Bu but what a great activity, actually we are now getting another (as the one we have is really my wife's). trouble with the paddle board being 14 ft long they are hard to rack.......Crazy.gif

sorry for taking the thread off topic......

hey we just bought our first paddle boat as well, will not replace my love for the Bu but what a great activity, actually we are now getting another (as the one we have is really my wife's). trouble with the paddle board being 14 ft long they are hard to rack.......Crazy.gif

sorry for taking the thread off topic......

Yep, really is a great new way to get out on the water. The lake I SkySki on at 26 mph.... I now see in a whole new way paddling at 3 or 4 mph. It's great exercise, I do 2 - 5 miles like 4 or 5 times a week.... after work or early mornings before the toobers come out.

I built a rack for my Avalanche so I can drag the boat & take the boards with us on vacations..... Snake River & Shasta are comin up soon!

you know My kids are very busy in the summer, My 19 year old is coaching Softball and my 17 is not much of a water dog, So I find myself taking alot of there friends, last night I had a boat full of there friends LOL , They all love to wake board and surf, So I'm usually never without a crew...

Regarding Cruising: These boats make good cruisers with a few modifications. Large Bimini Top and a fish finder help a lot. A good set of G5 boat fenders for rafting up or docking for gas. A good set of the nylon braded dock lines for the same reason. Add a hand held GPS and some charts, and your Visa card for gas and you are good to go.

They are relatively quiet just loafing along especially if you have a sunsetter size bow area for the gals to sit in front away from the engine noise. Most of these Malibus have a large gas tank. I love to cruise the Sacramento Delta, the Willamette River, and on a calm day the Mighty Columbia River.

Dennis bought a stand up paddle board and we took it out to the Sundance ski course at Lake Billy Chinook. It has become a fun thing to do in between ski runs.

Regarding Cruising: These boats make good cruisers with a few modifications. Large Bimini Top and a fish finder help a lot. A good set of G5 boat fenders for rafting up or docking for gas. A good set of the nylon braded dock lines for the same reason. Add a hand held GPS and some charts, and your Visa card for gas and you are good to go.

They are relatively quiet just loafing along especially if you have a sunsetter size bow area for the gals to sit in front away from the engine noise. Most of these Malibus have a large gas tank. I love to cruise the Sacramento Delta, the Willamette River, and on a calm day the Mighty Columbia River.

Dennis bought a stand up paddle board and we took it out to the Sundance ski course at Lake Billy Chinook. It has become a fun thing to do in between ski runs.

We have all these items, and the exhaust issue was one that was starting to bug me, at mid 20s mph it was bad loud, so I have just resonantly (spelling??) modified the exhaust ( Its a bit crude but works, and only minutes to install/remove ) to make things a bit quieter. But what we run into is the hull design just doesn't handle chop as well as a deep V boat does. Believe me I love the layout and every other part of the boat for cruising, My girlfriend and I put 18.4 hours on the boat of just cruise time at a chain of lakes the weekend after the fourth because we had no kids. We enjoyed it a ton, we were very comfortable while just putting along the adjoining rivers, pulled out the table and anchored up for lunch, had zero problems, had plenty of gas storage for all day cruising, but when it gets choppy we find going much over 15mph is uncomfortable, and on some of the big lakes that's too slow. Of course we only have a 21ft sunsetter.

We have friends that come with us to board some, but my problem is with our short season its hard to justify spending big money on a boat as it is, and I want to be on the boat any day we get a chance, I really envy you guys in the south. We bought the Malibu because my son was getting into board sports, and I always have loved to ski, but with my son not coming out any more I can have allot less money in another outdrive boat for just my girlfriend and I to cruise in, and tow her son tubing once in a while which is what he likes to do, but know I will miss the Bu if we go away from it. And we both like to surf now, no way am I trying that behind an outdrive.

We looked at those stand up paddle boards a few years ago in Florida, We have Kayaks, but those look like much more fun.

Man thats too bad that you fell you need to sell.

I'm just glad my kids are only in their 30's so we still have lots of lake time together before they grow up.

I'm just glad my kids are only in their 30's so we still have lots of lake time together before they grow up.

:lol: I'm in my mid-40's and my wife is still waiting for ME to grow up, much less my two teenage sons. :lol:

:thumbup:

Following this thread ... all I can say is I'm 55 and I boat with a lot of adults but very few liked to be pulled ... I wakeboard with mainly kids under 20 (I'm 55 going on 13 where as most 13 year olds are going on 30). This weekend will be an exception I'll be wakeboarding with 3 others + or - 40 years old ... none have ever gotten up but I'm a good teacher ... glad to see them trying!

MalibuNation - that is fantastic inspiration - while I've got a few more years with my kids I want to be just like you when I grow up - I'm 43 now and thinking of upgrading our 08 V-ride to get every ounce of enjoyment while we can. we also love to bring out the Newbs and introduce them to something new... hats off to you !