Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel pump issues?

Got one for the 'crew...

Was on the water Saturday afternoon, boat ran fine. Stopped for a bit to hang out at the local sand bar. When we started back up the motor would fire but not stay running. Initially, the motor would just start really low RPMs and eventually die after 10-15 seconds of low idle. After 4-5 turns of the key, it stopped the low idle and just not stay running at all.

We let the engine sit for 5-10 mins thinking it was vapor lock and tried again, same problem.

We came to the conclusion that it must be a fuel issue since we seemed to be getting air and fire just fine. So, I crawled back into the engine compartment and tapped on the fuel pump while my friend cranked the motor and THAT WORKED!

And this is the second time this has happened this season.

So, I talked to my mechanic. He said the fuel pump is a Indmar specific item (ie, I can't just go to NAPA and get one) and it's $300+!!!

Now, I'm all for patronizing my local mechanic, but I know I can get a fuel pump from the local auto parts place for less than $100.

My question is, have any of you replaced the fuel pump in your boat? If so, what did you buy?

Since I know they may be motor specific, I have that 2004 version of the Hammerhead...the 380.

thanks!

Hey Mike we had a party on Saturday remember!!?? Sounds like your boat might not be out for the Tiki Torch Party...?

Vapor lock can take a while to clear (more than 5-10 minutes) especially if you don't cool the pump and lines with a towel and cold bottle of water or similar. How much down time was there before you started banging on the fuel pump?

Hey Nate! The boat is fine now. Jeremy said the fuel pump get hot when running and doesn't have the cool fuel running through it to cool it down. Hence the cranky fuel pump. In any case, it'll be fine for the tiki party.

I let it sit for about 10 min before I started banging on it.

I just sent you and the other a note about the party. Take a look at it and get back to me

Hey Nate! The boat is fine now. Jeremy said the fuel pump get hot when running and doesn't have the cool fuel running through it to cool it down. Hence the cranky fuel pump. In any case, it'll be fine for the tiki party.

I let it sit for about 10 min before I started banging on it.

I just sent you and the other a note about the party. Take a look at it and get back to me

That's not a cranky fuel pump, that is a prime example of vapor lock.

I'll take a look at the note, thanks!

For some reason the message is closed :dontknow:

There will be 8 or so of us all on Brennan's boat. I think we're going out early to board, we'll probably put in by T-bones. We've got a "driver" so we'll probably head back to town after the party concludes but thanks for the offer. But we can certainly be the marker boat as we should hit the party by 8 or so, just give me a call.

Closed...that's odd. how did I send a closed message? Weird

OK, on the plans. Your number still the 516 number?

What time are you headed out to board? I'll be out riding in the AM...don't have to be at the volunteer thing until 2:30 or so. It's near my house...

Edited by Intense

Closed...that's odd. how did I send a closed message? Weird

OK, on the plans. Your number still the 516 number?

What time are you headed out to board? I'll be out riding in the AM...don't have to be at the volunteer thing until 2:30 or so. It's near my house...

The babysitter gets there at 3:30 so we'll hit the water around 4ish, looks like we'll miss yuh during the day. Yes, the 516 # is still good.

• 2 years later...

I know that this fellow was having vapor lock, but I think his question was a valid one. Is there a compatible fuel pump that doesn't cost $300?

Looks like it is made by Pierburg with the following number: Pierburg Electric Fuel Pump 55-6184. But I can't find anything else about it. On the replacement page on the Bake's website, they are kind enough to provide pressure specs, but not the fuel flow rate.