Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Biggest Bunch of Skiers/Boarders

Baddog

LS-One posted an amazing photo of 13 boarders attempting to be pulled behind one boat on the End of The Year thread. A cool pic and I thought the topic deserved a thread all its own.

WHAT IS THE LARGEST GROUP OF SKIERS / BOARDERS THAT YOU HAVE BEEN A PART OF?

Me? In my youth (10 y.o.) (just a few years ago) (I wish) I was a part of a group of 8 skiers on a Michigan lake (Portage, I think). What was most amazing is the fact that 4 of the 8 were deep water starting on slalom because that's all the skis we had AND it was behind a 16-17 fiberglass boat with an 85 HP Johnson hanging off the back. The boat did tend to put up quite a wake pulling that much lard behind it. But we did it.

What amazing multiple feats can you lay claim to?

On my lake we have a show ski club. Using "Fat Boy" doubles we regularly pull six skiers from a dock start with wives or significant others on our shoulders. That will really get your knees wobbling if you ski any distance. Biggrin.gif

On my lake we have a show ski club. Using "Fat Boy" doubles we regularly pull six skiers from a dock start with wives or significant others on our shoulders. That will really get your knees wobbling if you ski any distance. Biggrin.gif

The amount of knee wobble would, of course, be impacted by the size of the wife, eh?

Can you pick which wife to carry?

When I first met my wife her family and friends were into doing that. My father-in-law has a 19' Glastron I/O that he was able to pull up 8 combo skiers deep water start in channel chop water. Some of them were pretty small kids though (70-100# skinny little things). The one I thought that was amazing was my wife and ex sister-in-law coming up slalom deep water start behind a 17' tri hull with a 50hP Chrysler that's older than I am...

6 tubers....not behind our boat!

Sure...;)...;)...;)

Better yet why admit it Tease2.gif

You know how they say wakeboarding is for people that aren't good enough to ski?

Well then, tubing must be for people who aren't good enough for anything . . .

After rupturing (sp?) my ear drum the last two times that I have tubed I haven't done it in 4-5 years. We have only had our boat for 1.5 years so....not behind our boat :) We did this years ago behind my friends 93 prostar 190 and another friends 1995 ski nautique

3 different attempts,

7 - 2 double skis, 2 wake boards, 2 knee boards, 1 tube. never got them all up.

6 wake boards, took 3 tries but got all 6 up.

4 single skis, all up.

all behind my '89 sunsetter.

Haven't had a chance to try for more behind the new one yet.

the bigger ski clubs pull amazing numbers. if you have not seen a big show, find the time. the power it takes to pull a big pyramid is staggering. tow rig is just howling.

the local clubs' bf line starts out on step off slaloms. i've seen 10 footers kick step off skis and make the plant. did a show in frankfurt mi. where the footers made the plant up around the bend. all the audience saw was a 42 mph hydrodyne dragging 10 footers around the bend. audience was really impressed.

some where on the net there are pix of a towboat with a huge number of skiers...no, i mean really big. i will poke around. seems to me it was a mc w 455cid.

the bigger ski clubs pull amazing numbers. if you have not seen a big show, find the time. the power it takes to pull a big pyramid is staggering. tow rig is just howling.

the local clubs' bf line starts out on step off slaloms. i've seen 10 footers kick step off skis and make the plant. did a show in frankfurt mi. where the footers made the plant up around the bend. all the audience saw was a 42 mph hydrodyne dragging 10 footers around the bend. audience was really impressed.

some where on the net there are pix of a towboat with a huge number of skiers...no, i mean really big. i will poke around. seems to me it was a mc w 455cid.

Bring it on, THIS I gotta see.

Here are 22 Babes a Slaloming:

SSNats20123%20LC%20Cline.jpg

Here are 15 on top of 15 double skiers:

SSNats20115%20LC%20Prefab%200004.jpg

There are at least 10 footers...quite a rooster tail left behind Yahoo.gif

SSNats0054%20TCRR%20Bline.jpg

Edited by MoonDawg
Way cool photos. Any info on the boats and engines pulling these groups?

The Photos were from the "2003 Mastercraft Show Ski Nationals" so I would assume that it is a Mastercraft tow boat with an Indmar engine (No idea on the displacement).

I remember years ago (early 70s) before the days of Photoshop, a poster of a skiff with a Johnson Outboard pulling fifty skiers on doubles. Rumor had it that the first person got up with all the ropes and then passed them off to people waiting on a dock as the boat passed by. Must have been a long day waiting for that shot.

That poster must be out there on the internet somewhere.

I remember years ago (early 70s) before the days of Photoshop, a poster of a skiff with a Johnson Outboard pulling fifty skiers on doubles. Rumor had it that the first person got up with all the ropes and then passed them off to people waiting on a dock as the boat passed by. Must have been a long day waiting for that shot.

That poster must be out there on the internet somewhere.

And what happened if one skier fell?

When I was younger we pulled 7 skiers on beach starts on slaloms behind a Ski Nautique. I don't think I would do that behind my Malibu.

Why not? Don't you think the Bu could handle the task?

When I was younger we pulled 7 skiers on beach starts on slaloms behind a Ski Nautique. I don't think I would do that behind my Malibu.

Why not? Don't you think the Bu could handle the task?

Now days you would need a 200 ft rope because the boat cant be within 200 ft of the beach. :lol:

I put together a group of people to help shag ropes for a world record attempt a few years ago. The goal was 120 skiers behind one boat. But it wasn't successfull because the 6000 horsepoer, jet powered ferry they used wasn't ever able to get enough water in the intakes for it to propel forward.

But it was a lot of fun riding around on the 60' booms!!

http://airjunky.com/record/

In exchange for helping with the ropes (120 x 400' each = 48,000' of rope!), we were given an a chance to break the foil riders record. We owned that record a year before but it had been broken. We ended up getting about 30 riders up, but only 14 made it the distance. The old record was 9 & was done behind a new (at the time) MC X-star.

9riders.jpg