Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Maliview screen going blank

Thanks for the welcome. Seems like a few people have joined this club. My boat is heading back to the dealer this week in Sydney. I have checked all the grounding points everything looks good apart from some DIY wiring the previous owner did for the stereo. I will have them upgrade the software and test. If that does not work then I will leave it in their hands to hopefully rectify. Out of the 8 times i have had the boat on the water it has only run perfect once. First it was the oxygen sensor lead causing a service required alarm now this. Fingers crossed this is the last problem for a while.

FIXED!!!! I got in contact with my local dealer. Who sent the latest update for my model of viper unit via email copied to USB uploaded to maliview update took about 2 min. Water test today problem fixed.

That's great. Software didn't do the trick for me unfortunately. Hope she holds out for you and keeps working.

FIXED!!!! I got in contact with my local dealer. Who sent the latest update for my model of viper unit via email copied to USB uploaded to maliview update took about 2 min. Water test today problem fixed.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Would anyone be able to send me the files for the 09 VLX? Our system started rebooting this summer as we were putting it in the water for the first time :'(. We have about 350 hours on it.

Alot of electrical issues coming out of the woodworks with these boats it seems lately.  I am having issues as well with my MTC touch screen.  The touch quit over last summer and now I can't start my boat so I ordered a new MTC touch screen and it wont even power up now so waiting for a tested screen from malibu to arrive next week.  Also having alot of CAN communication errors with the maliview system where I cant use any of my pre-sets.  I always questioned this many electronics in boats but now I am really kicking myself with summer right around the corner and a boat I cant use at the moment.

8 hours ago, rjones said:

Alot of electrical issues coming out of the woodworks with these boats it seems lately.  I am having issues as well with my MTC touch screen.  The touch quit over last summer and now I can't start my boat so I ordered a new MTC touch screen and it wont even power up now so waiting for a tested screen from malibu to arrive next week.  Also having alot of CAN communication errors with the maliview system where I cant use any of my pre-sets.  I always questioned this many electronics in boats but now I am really kicking myself with summer right around the corner and a boat I cant use at the moment.

Oh ther joy, been there done that along with many others.

At least it is an easy fix once you get over the cost of the part :(

• 2 years later...

I just got a 2009 VLX and haven't even put it in the water yet. How can I check to make sure I have the updated software that might have resolved/prevent this potential problem?

Thanks!

Thanks, what is the current version I should make sure I have? If I don't have the current version, where can I find the newest software and how do I install/upgrade to that newest version?

I am running V23, but there may be something newer released. The dealer should be able to take care of you. Barring that a member on here may be able to send it to you, but it is a crazy big file and it may be tough to get sent. At least that was issue I was having. It is as simple as going into UPDATE and following the prompts. Like a 30 second job, if that. 

Thank you so much wdr! I just checked and I'm on vA16 so I'm definitely in need of an update. I don't have a dealer close to me. Does anyone know anywhere online I might be able to download it? Or if a member has it, maybe they can upload it to a google drive or some other online storage so I could download it?

Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 1:20 PM, Fish209 said:

Thank you so much wdr! I just checked and I'm on vA16 so I'm definitely in need of an update. I don't have a dealer close to me. Does anyone know anywhere online I might be able to download it? Or if a member has it, maybe they can upload it to a google drive or some other online storage so I could download it?

Thanks!!!

Our 2009 VLX's can only have vA17 as the newest update.

I called an authorized Malibu service center in my area and they said they was no available update. I am currently on vA16. Was this service center misinformed?

• 4 weeks later...

And now we are into 2019 - 2009 VLX, power reset/cycling issue started as we hit 300+ hours on our boat. Have checked all connections - initially we had the same problem as the first video, however we have now progressed to total lock out of gauges, and "dashes" on the numerical LCD displays. Screen stays on but is frozen at whatever was on when the glitch occurred. No pattern to it except it seems to be worse when we are moving.

Ignition on/off appears to reset it, but usually lasts about 2 minutes before happening again.

Note: we can still drive the boat - it starts and everything works (including stereo/ballast and the satellite LCD controls - even when the screen glitches out. We have been using an iPhone App to measure speed - painful lag though.

My thoughts are that it has to be a power/electrical issue, or one connected to the paddle wheel/speed sensor somehow - when the Mailiview is working (for very short periods) everything is exactly as it should be. Engine hours are also still increasing (even thought to all appearances nothing is functioning on screen).

Boat is going into the Dealer this week for other work, if they find the problem I will try to post. Not sure of the Software version but given the 6 month-12 month servicing the boat undergoes I would be surprised if it isn't up to date, and from what I remember when I checked it was all good.

And I appreciate that there may be no single answer - my post really is just to express solidarity with the other sufferers out there and to see what could be wrong....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 7:38 PM, wethead said:

any news on this problem my09 vlx started doing this with just over 300 hrs also

Do you have the most current update? I found our batteries were also causing glitches in ours last year. Check the RCA connections too for corrosion.

I did not ever have an update don't know anything about that but I will check my connections and batteries

seems to me one battery was going dead when left for a few days and thats when I started having issues hope its that simple

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 9:19 PM, wethead said:

I did not ever have an update don't know anything about that but I will check my connections and batteries

seems to me one battery was going dead when left for a few days and thats when I started having issues hope its that simple

I'd start with that battery issue. If not you can find your current Maliview softare version on your screen under settings and about im pretty sure. Va17 is what you want. If its less than that contact your dealer or PM me and I can send you the update for it. Takes about 10-15 minutes to sit and watch the update :thumbup:

• 3 months later...
On 5/5/2019 at 8:27 AM, Heard said:

I'd start with that battery issue. If not you can find your current Maliview softare version on your screen under settings and about im pretty sure. Va17 is what you want. If its less than that contact your dealer or PM me and I can send you the update for it. Takes about 10-15 minutes to sit and watch the update :thumbup:

Did the software update fix the issue in your 09 VLX?

On 8/26/2019 at 7:24 AM, McG said:

Did the software update fix the issue in your 09 VLX?

It fixed the screen shutting down and restarting every couple hours. The screen would flicker but I found new batteries fixed that issue. Havnt had a problem since.

• 11 months later...

New battery fixed the screen shutting down and restarting last year when I replaced them . This year screen started freezing up and gauges not working but screen is still lit up no depth ,temp, rpm,speed,or wedge ,ect .Shut battery off ,resets for a short period then out again , tried new battery no fix this time 

• 2 weeks later...