Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Maliview screen going blank

Hi, new member but long time Malibu owner. I've had my 2009 vlx since it was new, however this weekend while riding the maliview went blank and re-started itself several times. It didn't kill the motor but the gauges would not work correctly. For example after it blanks, I would try and bump the speed up and the boat would slow down..I checked all battery connections and voltage. Turned the boat off and back on and the problem did not go away. I called my dealer and they said that they have never heard of this. ( They are a new dealer, however very successful) My boat was the first new Malibu purcahsed from them. Any ideas? I searched through other posts and didn't find any similar solutions, if you know of a thread that would help I would appreciate it...

Friends boat is doing the same thing (09 Sunscape). Started on day 4 of their 14 day vacation. Diagnosed as a bad computer which they were told yesterday is on backorder.

i just bought an 09 vlx brand new zero hours and it was having similar issues except mine was missing some harness adapter that the factory forgot to put in so the viper box could comunicate with the engine ecu. it sounds like your having some issues with your viper box comunicating with the engine ecu.

Hi, new member but long time Malibu owner. I've had my 2009 vlx since it was new, however this weekend while riding the maliview went blank and re-started itself several times. It didn't kill the motor but the gauges would not work correctly. For example after it blanks, I would try and bump the speed up and the boat would slow down..I checked all battery connections and voltage. Turned the boat off and back on and the problem did not go away. I called my dealer and they said that they have never heard of this. ( They are a new dealer, however very successful) My boat was the first new Malibu purcahsed from them. Any ideas? I searched through other posts and didn't find any similar solutions, if you know of a thread that would help I would appreciate it...

It’s amazing how many problems dealers “have never heard of”.

Took video of the Maliview yesterday and sent it to the dealer...still waiting for his answer....here is a link to the short video on Youtube.

Edited by 2009 vlx

Recent convert to the Bu Crew, traded in my '99 Xstar for an '09 VLX. Went out on Sunday for the first ride and noticed that my MaliView was turning on and off every couple of minutes, seeing the exact same thing as the YouTube vid.

@Ballast Buddy, have you had any luck fixing your issues?

No luck, I sent the video to my dealer and he said he had no idea...Wow...said it could be a number of things. I will bring it in after this weekend, I can't miss all this HOT weather and warm water. I'll update as soon as I get an answer.

Sounds like we are in the same boat... literally! Apparently the boat was in for the same reason prior to me buying it and the local dealer has already replaced the Viper module. The service manager has been real helpful and said that there was some correspondence that went out a while back saying some of the retrofitted '08 models of the Viper (yes, even though it is an 09 VLX) were defective. He said they are on back order and he is trying to get one directly from Medallion. Thankfully he is going to call me up when they come in so I can still enjoy the new ride.

You may want to hit up your dealer and see if they can get one of the modules in ahead of you bringing it in.

• 3 weeks later...

Curious if you guys are fixed? It’s been five weeks my friends have been waiting for a Viper box replacement.

They are getting pretty good at using their Droid and “perfect arm” for speed control but this issue sucks. Imagine what the deal will be if a problem like this happens down the road a few years from now...

• 2 weeks later...

No luck, I sent the video to my dealer and he said he had no idea...Wow...said it could be a number of things. I will bring it in after this weekend, I can't miss all this HOT weather and warm water. I'll update as soon as I get an answer.

Just saw the video , for the screen to go like that it might be an intermittent wiring problem , losing power , check the fitting of the plugs to the viper ?

I've seen this a handful of times now, to be really honest its really hard to diagnose even for the techs that have been doing it for 10-15 years. It's always a process of elimination and could be anything from a bad display to a bad CAN Link component causing issues in the the CAN circuit. (For those that don't know CAN link is the two way communication line that all your systems talk back and forth on) Almost everything is CAN linked 2009+, CAN items are Stereo, MUX Switches, All Dash components, & engine ECU.

If the problem is consistent it should be relatively easy to diagnose because it can be diagnosed. The last one we had was completely inconsistent and took a week to diagnose once we finally came across a the issue testing the right part when the problem happened.

Bring some patience dropping this one at the shop.

-Paul

My dealer told me the exact samething that Paul stated.. Could be anything...I still haven't brought it to my dealer:(.... I went in and checked all the wires and fuses that I could and everything was tight and in place.. My dealer (nearest) is more than 1.5 hours from me..I'm kind of just dealing with it, the dealer just got back from surf expo, so I will take it in soon.

You guys have no idea what you are in for .My boat went down approx June 2 and 7 viper modules later and it is still not fixed . I have been battling this problem since I bought the boat 3 years ago.it's not fair that we spend all this money and in the end our families suffer .this is a huge problem .remember next year the warranty is up on the electronics , so if you have no claim i cant imagine they will take responsibility for it next year.when you are making your complaint on this thread please include how many hours are on the boat , year , make and model.please contact me directly at [email protected]. I would like to get a list going of all the people with problems !please don't dismiss this issue just because it happened once and went away there is way more to it than that.

You guys have no idea what you are in for .My boat went down approx June 2 and 7 viper modules later and it is still not fixed . I have been battling this problem since I bought the boat 3 years ago.it's not fair that we spend all this money and in the end our families suffer .this is a huge problem .remember next year the warranty is up on the electronics , so if you have no claim i cant imagine they will take responsibility for it next year.when you are making your complaint on this thread please include how many hours are on the boat , year , make and model.please contact me directly at [email protected]. I would like to get a list going of all the people with problems !please don't dismiss this issue just because it happened once and went away there is way more to it than that.

Sounds like your issue is not the viper box then.

Sounds like your issue is not the viper box then.

That's what I thought too, but my boat has a complete new wiring harness, Maliview , all switches,and all new components .medallion is custom building boxes for this problem and it is not working. The dealer has been great but at the end of the day i still dont have a boat .Since I have posted this I have 27 emails with the same problem .

Here is a link to youtube for a reference to my problem.please keep in mind this is the 6th box that was put in from the beginning of June until approx the 20 of aug 2010.if any concerns why the box is not screwed into position ,I forgot my phone could take videos and I was in the process of changing the new viper service box to the #5th 08 retrofit box.

Link

AS of tonight I have 37 personal replies of the same problem occurring that is less than 24hours after posting on this forum

Does any one else have videos of the gauges rebooting or going dead?

Thanks

This post has been edited by dmfreier: Today, 06:32 PM

Please keep in mind my original problem was my Maliview rebooting.it would go off and then it would reboot stay on for variations of times and then go off and repeat cycle

Edited by dmfreier

Sounds like you have a lemon, have you tried having your dealer contact Malibu and have your boat replaced? If your boat has been in the shop since June there is a huge problem. And why do they keep replacing the same part over and over???? 7 times??? I would be really pushing for a new boat, in my opinion they need to get you on the water.... you missed the entire summer because of a computer issue.

Edited by Fman

It sounds like a no brainer right?Wrong .I have talked to the factory but they won't take responsibility ,what they offered me was insulting. I usually spend more money on fuel in a summer than what they offered.My dealer has offered to sell me a boat at cost but the problem is they really don't want my boat. I don't blame them! This is the factories fault not the dealer!I wish Malibu would realize what a mistake they are making.(when I say Malibu you know who I mean)Tommorow I will advise my lawyer to go ahead with legal proceedings. Of course more senseless money out that doesn't need to but I am tired of getting walked on. If there is any one else with this issue please contact me at [email protected]. If you don't feel like doing this as a group please consider your options .Thanks for everyone's support!!!

I wonder who wrote this mission statement

Despite Malibu Boats' industry leading stats, we gauge success by the level of satisfaction our boat owners enjoy. The Malibu Boats ownership experience is not about a list of awards, a bottom line or spreadsheet data; it's about Malibu boat owners. We don't build boats the easy way, we build them the best way, and we don't go the extra mile in customer service because it's easy. We do it because it's the right thing to do and it directly benefits our customers.

Edited by dmfreier

Sounds like you have a lemon, have you tried having your dealer contact Malibu and have your boat replaced? If your boat has been in the shop since June there is a huge problem. And why do they keep replacing the same part over and over???? 7 times??? I would be really pushing for a new boat, in my opinion they need to get you on the water.... you missed the entire summer because of a computer issue.

It's funny ,I keep saying to my wife "I can't believe this ,this is insane ,how many more modules will they put in?"

Her reply was look up the definition of insanity.I think that summed it up!

Albert Einstein once said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".