Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lost a Rack off the boat

NvBoarder

So I realized on Friday night when I brought the boat home that I was missing a rack, I had four of them. The screw is still there but only about half of it, so it obviously snapped off. The good news is that it some how missed the boat completely when it fell off. But I did have a blow out on the way home from WOW and I am begining to think maybe that caused my blow out and my damage to my wheel well. I feel sorry for the person that hit that thing.

Here is my concern, should I get new bolts for the other three and replace them to be safe. Also I was going to contact Nice Racks and see what they can do for me, I am not looking for a hand out but maybe something to ease the pain in the wallet to replace this rack. Any recomendations on who to talk to, anybody else have a problem like this before. The Racks have been installed for about five years.

So I realized on Friday night when I brought the boat home that I was missing a rack, I had four of them. The screw is still there but only about half of it, so it obviously snapped off. The good news is that it some how missed the boat completely when it fell off. But I did have a blow out on the way home from WOW and I am begining to think maybe that caused my blow out and my damage to my wheel well. I feel sorry for the person that hit that thing.

Here is my concern, should I get new bolts for the other three and replace them to be safe. Also I was going to contact Nice Racks and see what they can do for me, I am not looking for a hand out but maybe something to ease the pain in the wallet to replace this rack. Any recomendations on who to talk to, anybody else have a problem like this before. The Racks have been installed for about five years.

Hey Tim,

The bolts are not very big but they seem to be pretty strong.

We caught a big roller when the BU was tied to the houseboat and totally bent one fork. I straightened the fork and reused the bolts and they seem fine. Your blowout could have possibly been what ripped the rack off.

Had a motorcycle on a trailer years ago... blowout ripped the mirror off and put a big dent in the fuel tank. (and bent the trailer fender) :(

Chris

Tim,

Horatio is the owner and has been pretty good to work with, but hard to get a hold of. As for the racks, I am constantly having to tighten the main bolt on my racks to keep them from coming loose. I even use plenty of loctite. Best of luck on getting a replacement, I feel for you.

Dang bro.....what a rough trip for ya.

Definitely contact Horacio, cool dude, but between the Rack and the tire issue you maybe close where the insurance coverage makes sense. If you have a $500 deductible all the repairs could go above that. The claiming these issues on a boat policy doesn't count as an accident.

I had one of my Nice Racks fall off of my old boat. It was on the water with the boards attached so it floated. Nice Racks replaced it with one the had longer, stronger screws and I never had another problem.