Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing banned in Indiana

MalibuCruse

I just heard that it is now illegal to wakesurf and teaksurf. The teaksurfing I can sort of understand. The reasoning is that people are getting caught in the props of boats. I can understand I/O boats but for a ski/wakeboard boat, the chances of falling forward into the prop is pretty impossible. You have to fall at a force and speed that is greater than the forward motion of the boat and go under the swim deck and past the rudder to hit the prop all the while the water is forcing you to stop almost immediately. So, due to the inherent danger of the I/O prop people without swimdecks, I cannot even try wakesurfing at all. I just got my boat three months ago and was interested in trying this sport, but now, cannot. I guess I'll have to travel beyond borders to try it now. :(

I just heard that it is now illegal to wakesurf and teaksurf. The teaksurfing I can sort of understand. The reasoning is that people are getting caught in the props of boats. I can understand I/O boats but for a ski/wakeboard boat, the chances of falling forward into the prop is pretty impossible. You have to fall at a force and speed that is greater than the forward motion of the boat and go under the swim deck and past the rudder to hit the prop all the while the water is forcing you to stop almost immediately. So, due to the inherent danger of the I/O prop people without swimdecks, I cannot even try wakesurfing at all. I just got my boat three months ago and was interested in trying this sport, but now, cannot. I guess I'll have to travel beyond borders to try it now. :(

Wow, if true that is crazy they banned it in the entire state. Write your representative, tell them that you and your tax dollars will be leaving the state because of their nanny attitude. I'd typically rather wakeboard than surf, but if I'm going to visit an out of state lake I'm not going someplace that bans me from surfing.

Also in this thread some seem to think that it is only banned behind I/O's and outboards, but inboards and v-drives are legal to surf behind:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=490068&page=1

Not so, here's what I found on line:

Senate Bill 532

(goes into effect July 1)

Chapter 13. Motorboat Watersports

Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply when a motorboat is moored, anchored, docked, or aground.

Sec. 2. The requirements and prohibitions set forth in this chapter are in addition to the requirements and prohibitions set forth in IC 14-15-2, IC 14-15-3, IC 14-15-4, 14-15-8 and IC 14-15-12.

Sec. 3. An individual may not do the following:

(1) Operate a motorboat inboard or have the inboard engine of a motorboat run idle while an individual is holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, swim ladder or any

part of the exterior of the transom of a motorboat while the motorboat is underway at any speed.

(2) Operate a motorboat powered by
an outboard motor or equipped with an outdrive unit while an individual is:

(A) holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, swim ladder or any portion of the exterior of the transom of a motorboat while the motorboat is underway at any speed;

(B) swimming, or floating on or in the wake directly behind a motorboat that is underway; or

©
floating on a board on or in the wake directly behind a motorboat that is underway using the wake itself as the means of propulsion.

(3) Operate a motorboat with the number of individual riders on a towed device that exceeds the listed capacity on the towed device or the owner's manual.

Sec. 4. An individual who violates this chapter commits a Class C infraction.

So it only applies to surfing behind outboards and I/O engines, which actually makes good sense. I think it's a good law.

Surf's up!

Edit: Brett B beat me to it, same source.

Edited by Michigan boarder

I heard it on talk radio as a "by the way" type of news story. They didn't give the specifics as far as what boats, just that it was illegal to wakesurf and teaksurf. Thank you for the update...you guys are awesome! :rockon: I hope that when I do get a chance to wakesurf, the DNR won't pull us over and ticket. You never know in this economy!!!

Last weekend I saw two guys hanging onto the back of an I/O (no platform at all) while the driver manuvered around a bunch of rafted boats looking for a good spot to tie up. They each had a tie down ring in one hand and a beer in the other. There ought to be a law...............

martinarcher

Not so, here's what I found on line:

Senate Bill 532

(goes into effect July 1)

Chapter 13. Motorboat Watersports

Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply when a motorboat is moored, anchored, docked, or aground.

Sec. 2. The requirements and prohibitions set forth in this chapter are in addition to the requirements and prohibitions set forth in IC 14-15-2, IC 14-15-3, IC 14-15-4, 14-15-8 and IC 14-15-12.

Sec. 3. An individual may not do the following:

(1) Operate a motorboat inboard or have the inboard engine of a motorboat run idle while an individual is holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, swim ladder or any

part of the exterior of the transom of a motorboat while the motorboat is underway at any speed.

(2) Operate a motorboat powered by
an outboard motor or equipped with an outdrive unit while an individual is:

(A) holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, swim ladder or any portion of the exterior of the transom of a motorboat while the motorboat is underway at any speed;

(B) swimming, or floating on or in the wake directly behind a motorboat that is underway; or

©
floating on a board on or in the wake directly behind a motorboat that is underway using the wake itself as the means of propulsion.

(3) Operate a motorboat with the number of individual riders on a towed device that exceeds the listed capacity on the towed device or the owner's manual.

Sec. 4. An individual who violates this chapter commits a Class C infraction.

So it only applies to surfing behind outboards and I/O engines, which actually makes good sense. I think it's a good law.

Surf's up!

Edit: Brett B beat me to it, same source.

I'm cool with that law. Thumbup.gif It should be illegal to surf on a boat with an outdrive.

I'm cool with that law. Thumbup.gif It should be illegal to surf on a boat with an outdrive.

I'm not cool w/ another stupid law. Really this is what our lawmakers should really be concerned with? Ah, let's see a budget is an issue how about deal w/ that and let nature take its course. It's illegal to drink and drive but it doesn't stop everyone from doing it. People seem to loose brain cells on the water and majority of the weekend warriors have no clue of this law. What next a law about putting your arms through the handle....sorry just find this type of crap a wot as if you needed a law to tell you it's an unsafe practice....:unsure:

I'm not cool w/ another stupid law. Really this is what our lawmakers should really be concerned with? Ah, let's see a budget is an issue how about deal w/ that and let nature take its course. It's illegal to drink and drive but it doesn't stop everyone from doing it. People seem to loose brain cells on the water and majority of the weekend warriors have no clue of this law. What next a law about putting your arms through the handle....sorry just find this type of crap a wot as if you needed a law to tell you it's an unsafe practice....:unsure:

I'm guessing someone's kid or close friend got hurt or killed doing it. So they stayed on their legistlator to put something on paper so that it hopefully won't happen to someone else. Not that people won't still do it, though. Just like putting a sign up at the boat launch that says counter clockwise only.

Sure, but it prevents a lot of people. So because not everyone follows DUI law it shouldn't be the law? That's essentially what you're saying.

How many people will this new law save? Who knows, but one is enough for me.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
:lame: a huge stretch of the willamette river that we liked to boat on basically says no surfing to because we can't use wake enhancing devices. they say it's because it causes erosion, (at least that what they told the state) but the real reason is because it was damaging boat docks. like those people who are loaded with money and living on the water can't pay for a dock repair. :lame:

Sure, but it prevents a lot of people. So because not everyone follows DUI law it shouldn't be the law? That's essentially what you're saying.

This is really the second side of the story. I agree totally that passing yet another law does not always (OK, rarely ever) address the actual problem.

But in this instance - it might. Most boat owners, even those that have owned boats for a while and have a good idea what they are doing on the water, simply do not get that there is a huge physical difference in how our boats are constructed that makes certain things safe, and other not. The ability for water patrol to simply tell someone you can't do that b/c it's against the law rather than trying to explain that they will kill themselves and they don't want to clean up the mess makes their job easier.

Of course then we will have to explain the law to water patrol who probably does not know a v-drive from an outdrive...

I'm guessing someone's kid or close friend got hurt or killed doing it. So they stayed on their legistlator to put something on paper so that it hopefully won't happen to someone else. Not that people won't still do it, though. Just like putting a sign up at the boat launch that says counter clockwise only.

Ya could be that's what instigated the legislation. Local kid drowned a few years ago at a local lake, didn't have life vest on, which we all know is required and was allowed behind the boat. The law didn't save him because the operator chose to ignore the law...but more importantly common sense. If you don't have enough sense to determine that and I/O or outboard is dangerous to surf you need to have your head examined, so now we need the nanny state to tell me that...just ridiculous.

Ugh. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? :Doh:

You cannot legislate accidents out of existence anymore than you can sue accidents out of existence.

So are you also in favor of requiring all individuals wear lifejackets at all times while on a boat? Because that would probably save at least one life as well.

You are assuming most boat owners even know the laws.

I'm with M-Dude, another nanny law that slowly erodes the law of natural selection.

This really pisses me off because it is the basis for all these nanny laws - "How many people will this new law save? Who knows, but one is enough for me."

You cannot legislate accidents out of existence anymore than you can sue accidents out of existence.

No one has said you can. That's not the issue. The issue is whether this law will prevent people from doing something that they would otherwise be inclined to do. This is no different than stop lights and speeding laws. Do they prevent all red light runners, nope, do they sure prevent a lot of accidents, yep.

I'm with M-Dude, another nanny law that slowly erodes the law of natural selection.

This really pisses me off because it is the basis for all these nanny laws - "How many people will this new law save? Who knows, but one is enough for me."

Well if it makes you feel better as a justification, think of it as a source of revenue.

Name ONE nanny law that affects the way you would otherwise your boat J-Ro. This law has zero to do with you geographically or contextually, and this "pisses" you off? :lol: May I suggest you lighten up.

jkendallmsce

And if we were to follow your limp d**k logic, we should simply ban ALL boats....how many lives would that save?? Cause according to your own fuzzy logic, saving JUST ONE LIFE is enough for you!! Banning all boats from our lakes, rivers, etc would save way more than one life.....

WHatever happend to personal responsibilty and that tingly spider sense normal thinking people have, that surfing behind an I/O just might not be a good idea??

It is truly sad when weak minded folks outnumber and deprive responsiblly safe boat owners.

And if we were to follow your limp d**k logic, we should simply ban ALL boats....how many lives would that save?? Cause according to your own fuzzy logic, saving JUST ONE LIFE is enough for you!! Banning all boats from our lakes, rivers, etc would save way more than one life.....

WHatever happend to personal responsibilty and that tingly spider sense normal thinking people have, that surfing behind an I/O just might not be a good idea??

It is truly sad when weak minded folks outnumber and deprive responsiblly safe boat owners.

Is it really necessary to talk like that on a public forum kendall? Do you feel that adds something to your position? It doesn't.

That's the exactly the point. Not one safe boat owner is being deprived of anything. If it's inherently unsafe to use an outboard for this, and the law is specifically tailored for that, no safe boat operator has any gripe because by your own definition no safe boat operator was even doing this.

Personally I am just glad that they are savvy enough to understand and differentiate the difference. I have seen a couple of surfboards on stern drive boats now....haven't seen them surfing yet but one can make the inference.

remember what could very well happen is that there will be a few accidents behind sterndrives and then they will outlaw it behind ANY boat....and then we won't get to surf anymore. Like I said I am glad for the law cause I think surfing may survive longer because of it.....not for any other reason.

Personally I am just glad that they are savvy enough to understand and differentiate the difference. I have seen a couple of surfboards on stern drive boats now....haven't seen them surfing yet but one can make the inference.

I know someone who bought an I/O last year after being told by salesman it was a great wakesurf boat. I was like, uh, not a good idea. He definitely though was totally fine based on what he was told. Heck, doesn't chaparral make an i/o wakeboat? Wonder if they use any wakesurfing in advertising? It's real easy for a lot of people to bang the natural selection gong without realizing there are a lot of people out there who have no idea, sometimes because they have been told it's fine. Doesn't make them dumb, they just don't know. Now they have a better chance.

edit:...just looked at chaparral's site, didn't watch all teh videos but they, in fact, as part of their own marketing, use pictures of wakesurfers! So, while we as a collective group can appreciate the risks, there are people being actively marketed to to buy a product to use something that we know is unsafe! Accordingly, I'm not ready to be so critical of the folks who so many on here are and who would prefer Darwinism run its course.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Get off your high horse. You know that plenty of laws are created as a result of one lost life... hoping to save at least one more. The Amber alert system comes to mind as one.

Obviously these new boaters have no clue. But you don't have to be such a jerk about how you say it.... in every thread you & 85 participate in. No one wants to hear it.

Dude, cut'em off. :loser:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Name ONE nanny law that affects the way you would otherwise your boat J-Ro. This law has zero to do with you geographically or contextually, and this "pisses" you off? :lol: May I suggest you lighten up.

The flag law - I am perfectly capable of driving without a spotter and would if it wasn't the law.

Any drinking law - I am capable of regulating myself and watching out for others

Throwable float law - no one has ever been saved by a throwable cushion and I wouldn't have one taking up space if it wasn't the law.

The law is the epitome of what is going on in America and since I live in CA I guarantee something similar will be law here soon.

I will lighten up when the govt stops telling me how to act and when the sheeple stop following along like automatons.

The flag law - I am perfectly capable of driving without a spotter and would if it wasn't the law.

Any drinking law - I am capable of regulating myself and watching out for others

Throwable float law - no one has ever been saved by a throwable cushion and I wouldn't have one taking up space if it wasn't the law.

The law is the epitome of what is going on in America and since I live in CA I guarantee something similar will be law here soon.

I will lighten up when the govt stops telling me how to act and when the sheeple stop following along like automatons.

So the flag law is for your benefit? Or the other people on the lake that you are sharing, many of which (in CA) are overcrowded?

As to drinking, if you regulate yourself, then DUI laws have zero bearing on you, so not sure why that's an example.

As to the throwable, I find that REALLY funny. On one hand the majority of people who have been active in threads involving kids drowning and their parents failure to put a vest on them have contempt for that lack of safety preparation, and yet you feel a requirement that you carry a cushion smaller than a cooler is a nanny-state-burden? I, and I suspect many others here, would carry a throwable anyway out of preparation. You're different, apparently. I didn't realize such a burden. You got me on that one, so apparently you are inconvenienced by a boating law. Sorry about that.

But back to the issue, if Ca passes a similar law, what do you care? Nothing in it would affect you.