Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Trips Ignition Breaker

First off hello. I usually just read here to find information and I have found alot of usefull info over the past 2 years.

With that said I am having a problem i can't find and answer to. I have a 2001 Sunsetter LXi. When i turn the key to the on position all gauges come on and everything works fine. Go to start the boat it does nothing and after 3 seconds it trips the ignition breaker.

I have cehecked all the wiring and everything "seems" good can't find any evidence of a short. I can jiggile the wires around the Starter and get the boat to turn over sometimes. I checked all connection and everything is good.

My question is what component is causing it to trip the breaker, The starter, Lanard, or Ignition.

I think I ruled out the starter since I can get it to turn over by playing with the wires. Is there something i'm missing?

Any help or advice where to look next will be appreciated.

You have a bad connection some where, The high amp draw is causing the breaker to trip. From what you are saying it sounds like a short in the start circuit. If you can move the wires to get stuff to happen then you are moving the wires in the area of the issue. While checking the connections again look for issues with corrosion and the insulation of the cables and wires. It does not take much in the way of corrision or burning on the insulation to cause a major problem.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress as well as any other issues you may find while looking