Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which WakeBoard Boots

AdeL

Hi Guys

Last year I was boarding, took a fall and my right foot came out of my boot. All the force was then placed on my left knee, which left me with a limp for 4 months and a trip to the doctors who confirmed that I had damaged my cartilage and probably require surgery. I have not had that done yet. Last night I was out and took a high speed fall and my right foot came out of my boot again. Fortunately no damage to my right knee. I always tighten my boots up as tight as I can get them in and out of the water. They are lace up type only. I have decided that I need a better pair of boots that my feet will not come out of so that all the force is not placed on one leg. Any suggestions for a solid pair of boots?

If I were you I would get a really good knee brace. Over the years I injured both my knees on different occasions. I decided I either needed to get some braces or quit wakeboarding. I got some off of e-bay. They are really good braces over $200 apiece. I have taken some really good falls over the years, face plants and bruised ribs but no more knee injures.

I would say any time one foot comes out of the binding and the other stays in you are asking for trouble. I guess you sound like you want both to stay in, some find this too causes problems on hard spills as well. Saying that, I too like both feet to stay in and I ride 2011 LF Soven bindings. These are pretty stiff and quite responsive. I have yet to come out of them on hard spills, pretty sure the velcro straps across the top prevent it from happening. I'm no expert, but if you already have weakened knees you may not want the possibility of getting too twisted with both feet still in..I'm sure many know more than I here though.

I would say any time one foot comes out of the binding and the other stays in you are asking for trouble. I guess you sound like you want both to stay in, some find this too causes problems on hard spills as well. Saying that, I too like both feet to stay in and I ride 2011 LF Soven bindings. These are pretty stiff and quite responsive. I have yet to come out of them on hard spills, pretty sure the velcro straps across the top prevent it from happening. I'm no expert, but if you already have weakened knees you may not want the possibility of getting too twisted with both feet still in..I'm sure many know more than I here though.

Hi, your correct, I want both feet to stay in. One of my buddies prefers his feet to come out. I would rather the force be equal across both knees, I've never felt that my knees are stressed when both feet stay in. I will check out the LF sovens, thanks.

I do not see it possible to come out of these.

http://www.thehyperlitestore.com/shopexd.asp?id=17905

I second the knee brace advice. I am 10 months into and 60% recovered from OATS surgery after chipping my femur.

You're right these look impossible to come out of, $400 + the binding is alot for a boot upgrade but better than busting my knee up again. I'll add them to my list of considerations. I actually do wear a neoprene knee brace at all times but I think spending a couple hundred on a more solid brace is definetly what I'll do thanks to the feedback on here. It's either that or take up wake surfing but that looks too slow for me just yet, maybe another 10 years time.

You're right these look impossible to come out of, $400 + the binding is alot for a boot upgrade but better than busting my knee up again. I'll add them to my list of considerations. I actually do wear a neoprene knee brace at all times but I think spending a couple hundred on a more solid brace is definetly what I'll do thanks to the feedback on here. It's either that or take up wake surfing but that looks too slow for me just yet, maybe another 10 years time.

Really worth checking out the Ronix offerings as well. I have both the ones(2010) and cells(2009) and they are super comfy and responsive. A few other friends have the same and no one has yet to get out of them even in some quite impressive wipeouts. Like the murrays the full boots fit so well there is little chance of them coming off. Plenty of people regard them as among the best since 2009.

Well, I did manage to come out of the Soven's this morning on an over rotated ts front roll. Board stopped, I didn't but both feet came out followed by severe headache. First time for everything I guess.

I recommend you get a knee brace or two since you've already tweaked your knees. Regardless of how well the bindings hold you in, there is always the possibility of being ejected when taking a bad wipeout. I had a pair of hyperlite drive's that were a few years old(07), but they held my feet in so well I could not justify buying a new pair. I went out one day with a beginner friend of mine who had been using my setup for a few trips and I told him to get the first set. He is the type of person that will not listen or take advice, so he cuts wide toeside then edges back towards the wake hitting it somewhere close to mach 5. He wiped out(of course) causing him to come out of the bindings that I thought were impossible to come out of. He hit the water so hard, the laces actually ripped out of the stitching to the boot!

look into the slingshot rad bindings they have a lace up inner bootie i never came out of them with some hard falls dident even come out of them they i have a pair that was a size too big

Ken

I have ronix cell bindings and their great. Their the stiffest boot that ronix makes and i have taken some nasty falls and my feet always stay in. And i like them because they support me better when airing out into the flats and on awkward landings. Just my 2 cents

What are you guys running for braces?

I will be trying out the Hg80 this evening. It has a metal hinge either side of the knee that prevents the knee from bending the wrong direction. Looks OK for a cheap ($45) brace.

Another vote for the Ronix Cells. Stiff enough for ankle support, and have yet to come out of them. Had the 09 version and now the 10 version. (09s got stolen or I'd still be rocking them).

btw, I am not a sales person. I would recommend a pair of ronix boots. I have districts, and they are so easy to cinch down. I've never fallen out of my boots and I've caught some nasty edges. they :bash: my face, but my feet are fine

What are you guys running for braces?

There is someone on E-bay that sells the same braces you would get from a doctor. I looked up the brace I have it retailed for over $500. Got it for like $250.

Hold up. I know you stated you want both your feet to stay in - but that's the wrong way to feel. You *want* both your feet to come out on a bad spill. Lets assume you did find a boot that allowed both of them to stay in no matter what. You take a terrible spill, your knees will literally come out of the sockets. IMO your problem is caused by you - wrenching your laces as tight as you can possibly get them. You WILL NOT be able to stop your feet from coming out, bindings are designed in this fashion. IF you were successful, you would undoubtedly destroy your body. IMO the only reason you are having a single ejection is because you are wrenching your bindings down so tight.

Did you know one foot ejections are the most potentially harmful situation? Thats when the board is able to spin around while one foot is locked in completely wrenching your calf and foot around and blowing out your knee. Stop trying to play he-man. Stop wrenching your bindings down so tight. Get a pair of bindings that fit well and suit your riding style, and tighten them only a *moderate* degree. You may find out the next time you take a bad spill you'll have a normal 2 footed ejection and you won't even mind because you didn't wrench them down super tight.

Also, if you're taking multiple one foot ejections, it's time to post up videos of your form. Chances are you're leaving the wake front foot heavy and drifting into nose first spills.

Over wrenching your bindings has to be one of the worst things you can do and cause the most amount of injury. Moderate snugness. Learn to love dual ejection. Every time it happens pat yourself and the binding designer on the back for still having 2 working knees.

Guess it's just a personal preference that I like to stay in my bindings. I def don't want one foot coming out, nor do I want both feet coming out. That's sounds like wrecked ankles to me. Maybe coming out with open toe boots, but not with closed. Those things better stay on or I'm buying new boots.

What I'm trying to say is that it's physics coupled with how boots are designed. You *cannot* stop yourself from coming out of your boots or there will be so much force that your knees will be destroyed. I can't exactly hook up a force meter to the board to prove it to you, but I'm telling you for years boots have been DESIGNED to let you eject, the alternative is much worse.

I understand some people have this idea that they want to stay in their bindings, I'm telling you for the health of your body and joints, you want to come OUT. You state you're worried about your ankles getting hurt on the way out? I've ejected many times from my bindings and its NEVER hurt my ankles. In fact my face or chest or ribs are the only thing that hurts from such a rough impact. My ankles have NEVER gotten hurt being ejected from my bindings.

Do you know why that is? I wear bindings that fit and I don't overtighten them. I'm telling you guys, you're causing your own pain. You're looking forward to a road of injury if you keep overtightening your bindings. Don't say you weren't warned the next time you get hurt.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the Ronix Cell recommendations, I'll check them out. Prior to a week or so ago I was wearing a neoprene knee support. As I let you know I have been testing my new Hg80 and can say that I have taken a couple of falls over the last few days and that the brace is solid. I never felt any concern what so ever for my knee. For $45 it's worth a try if your looking for a brace.

I bought a new board this year and sprang for the new Hyperlite binding system with the removable boots. I bought the Kobalt boots. The whole system works great. Once you have the boots on, you don't need to take them off while still on the water. It's easier and quicker to get on your board when it's your turn too.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a pair of 2011 Slingshot RAD this year and absolutely love them. With the bottomless boot design and liner inserts with the lacing syatem they use I don't see how your feet could possibly come out. I've taken some pretty gnarly spills where I half expected to see my board floating 10 yards away, but its always been strapped to me still. Love the design and cushion ride of these boots too!