Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 Stargazer Zero-Off, will it fit the '03 LXi?

soleburner79

Hey all! Hoping someone could help me out on possible fitment and installation. I'm running a 2003 Response LXi with the 335 Monsoon. I've been offered the Stargazer Zero-Off from a 2009 LXi for darn near nothing. Before taking the trek out to take a look at this thing I thought I should ask...what would it take to fit this into my boat? Any mods? Will it be an easy direct installation? Hoping someone can point me in the right direction on this.

In case you were wondering, my boat currently does not have any perfect pass setup.

You are actually stating two different systems. Perfect Pass is Stargazer and Zero Off is a separate system. I have PP Stargazer in my 03 RLXi and love it. My question would be if it is SG, from a 2009 I would think that is drive-by-wire, where my 03 is considered mechanical, I would look to the Perfect Pass web-site or give them a call. I don't know anything about ZO, but would assume you have a DBW vs Mechanical consideration as well.

Thanks gripNrip! That's what I was afraid of. Sorry for the confusion, its a Perfect Pass Stargazer. I know my bu is not drive by wire, I'm cable-driven. I wasn't sure about the 2009 model though and questioned whether or not this would be an easy swap. I'll have to try and get a call in to Perfect Pass this week. Hate to pass up a good deal if I can make it work.

Thanks gripNrip! That's what I was afraid of. Sorry for the confusion, its a Perfect Pass Stargazer. I know my bu is not drive by wire, I'm cable-driven. I wasn't sure about the 2009 model though and questioned whether or not this would be an easy swap. I'll have to try and get a call in to Perfect Pass this week. Hate to pass up a good deal if I can make it work.

I emailed a similar question to Inmar customer service and this is the reply I got from them.

Zero Off only works with throttle by wire systems. There is no convrsion kit to change your engine from a mecnanical throttle to throttle by wire.

dave

I emailed a similar question to Inmar customer service and this is the reply I got from them.

Zero Off only works with throttle by wire systems. There is no convrsion kit to change your engine from a mecnanical throttle to throttle by wire.

dave

actually I have heard elsewhere it can be done but requires substantial expense. Several mechanical throttled-nautiques have been able to accept 0 off.

actually I have heard elsewhere it can be done but requires substantial expense. Several mechanical throttled-nautiques have been able to accept 0 off.

When it first came out I was told it was possible as well. For a cost of around $4000. I didn't want to post the name of the person I talked to at Inmar but I will say he is suppose to be the guy that should now. I'm not a mechanic but I just don't understand why it's not possible. My buddy just switched his 07 Master craft over. It was drive by wire to begin with. Looking at his motor the fuel injection system looks similar to a blower. On my 05 Malibu it looks more like the shape of a sting ray. Only think I can figure is that there is not a mechanical devise that will bolt to the injector system that will operate the throttle electrically. I can say I drove a Nautique when they went to drive by wire. I was testing for my NSS driver certification. There seemed to be a dead spot just above idle and as I gave more gas all of a sudden it took off. So even if it is adaptable I wonder if there would be any issues.

Dave

When it first came out I was told it was possible as well. For a cost of around $4000. I didn't want to post the name of the person I talked to at Inmar but I will say he is suppose to be the guy that should now. I'm not a mechanic but I just don't understand why it's not possible. My buddy just switched his 07 Master craft over. It was drive by wire to begin with. Looking at his motor the fuel injection system looks similar to a blower. On my 05 Malibu it looks more like the shape of a sting ray. Only think I can figure is that there is not a mechanical devise that will bolt to the injector system that will operate the throttle electrically. I can say I drove a Nautique when they went to drive by wire. I was testing for my NSS driver certification. There seemed to be a dead spot just above idle and as I gave more gas all of a sudden it took off. So even if it is adaptable I wonder if there would be any issues.

Dave

If it was drive by wire to begin with then it's easy for 0 off.

Issue is putting a drive by wire system (0 off) on a throttle -cabled boat. It is possible, however, from what I have read. It's been done to several nautiques and I swear I read about a malibu. It will involve a new ECM and new wiring harnesses.

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure this is accurate (or really close)

There was also some IP/patent issues between Perfect Pass & Zero-Off that got in the way & eventually led to the settlement where Zero-Off would be the only supplier for DBW Ski boats from 2009+ and PP would be the only supplier for throttle cable boats period. Re-reading the original post, since it's from a 2009, you sure it's a PP Stargazer? (See article here.)

There is/was a significant difference in the ECU/ECM computers between Indmar & PCM/Nautique & that is what prevented early Zero-Off systems being available on Malibus. Sure, you could work around it, but who'd want to get stuck in the Malibu/Indmar -> EControls(ECU Manu) -> Zero-Off fight if there was an issue with the engine running right.

You may be able to make the PP Stargazer work with your 03 Response, the people who could tell you precisely what you need are the guys at PP. They are wonderful to talk to & would likely give you a breakdown of what would work & what wouldn't. At a minimum, you'd need the throttle adapter, Servo module & wiring + a reprogramming. You may need a master module too, but they could tell you for sure.

Edit - Add link & clarify.

Edited by wienrdog