Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Chattering noise in Steering

Is there a solution to this without replacing cable? I have heard this a lot on older boats. Is there something loose or need repacked or something? It seems like when there is no turn pressure on the wheel in the holeshot it chatters really bad , give a little input left or right it goes away. Steering is still nice and tight in the course... Any ideas or possible solutions?

I don't think replacing the cable will fix anything. I've put on the heavier tiller arm and made sure the rudder is full of grease. These helped in the short term but now I'm back to a decent chatter again on loaded take offs or powering onto the trailer. I just think there is a little too much play in the rudder assembly/bushings and it's something I've learned to deal with. Many people have this issue, even on newer boats.

On my boat, a nut/bolt holding the steering cable away from the engine was loose inside the engine compartment. It was a little difficult to get to, but once I tightened it, it went away. I think I have to tighten it again though cause its back.

I had the same issue, re prop'd and gone. went from factory prop to 1235

I really only felt it when I was heavily weighted and hammered on it.

anyway i did grease the steering assembly this fall as well, but think it is the prop that did it for me

Shawn

I had the same issue, re prop'd and gone

I would look further into prop as well as loose rudder issues. Cavitation can make your fillings chatter!

Thanks everyone! I think I found it, when looking at the rudder I noticed a prop ding! Not a ding I can live with, so we will see in a few days once the repair is done if it goes away, meanwhile I will be looking at the rudder and some mid summer preventive maintenance!