Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where to wire electric choke

I purchased an Edelbrock 1409 (electric choke) and need to wire it to my 94 Echelon LX with Mercruiser Mag Ski. I had previously thought all the carbs were electric choke on those motors, but that's not the case. Talked to the original owner and he said it was, in fact, original. So my question is where do I wire it to? Is there an acc switch that I can access? Thanks

I purchased an Edelbrock 1409 (electric choke) and need to wire it to my 94 Echelon LX with Mercruiser Mag Ski. I had previously thought all the carbs were electric choke on those motors, but that's not the case. Talked to the original owner and he said it was, in fact, original. So my question is where do I wire it to? Is there an acc switch that I can access? Thanks

Check the alternator and see if there is a s terminal , s standing for stator , if so wire it to that, do not wire it to any key power this will effect ignition system, if you cant go to alternator then you will have to wire to acceserie power which is only powered when key is on.

The install manual says not to hook it up to the alternator. But every bit of information I can find says to do it. Many people mention the purple wire. If it's already connected to something, what's the best way to splice in?

The install manual says not to hook it up to the alternator. But every bit of information I can find says to do it. Many people mention the purple wire. If it's already connected to something, what's the best way to splice in?

As long as it isnt the purple wire to the coil.

also I said the s terminal of the alternator not amp, all factory chokes are hooked there if you have an s terminal, this terminal is only energized when the alternator is running.

EDIT:

Thank you FIC! Works perfect... When I'm searching the forums for an answer to my question, I often become disappointed when there is no update to the advice that was given. So to make information better available for future searches:

When switching from a manual choke carb to electric choke, attach the positive choke wire to the terminal labeled "s" on the back of the alternator. The "s" is kind of hard to see. Shine a flashlight on the back of the alternator to see it. My motor is a Mercruiser Magnum Ski and I'm sure the alternator setup is similar with almost all motors, except ones that have a single cable coming off the alternator.

Edited by 94wedge
  • 9 years later...
  • 5 months later...

my alternator dont have an s on it it only has bat. r,1,2,r,f and im trying to hook my elctric choke up with out it getting hot as fire. please help lol thanks

1 hour ago, Jctattoo said:

my alternator dont have an s on it it only has bat. r,1,2,r,f and im trying to hook my elctric choke up with out it getting hot as fire. please help lol thanks

I just did this earlier this summer.  94 Echelon lx, and I swapped out my Weber carb with the manifold choke for an electric choke version.  My "S" terminal on the alternator has constant 12v and drains the battery, so I cannot connect it there.  I used the terminal on the back of the alternator that has a purple wire going to it, located at about 3 o'clock instead of the S terminal at 6 o'clock.  It did not have a label on it that I recall.  That one only has power going to it when the key is on.  It worked flawlessly all summer long.

I suggest buying a multi-meter, you can get a cheap one for about 20 bucks at any hardware store.  Put the black lead to the engine block, and put the red lead to your alternator terminals, key on and key off, to see which one is right.