Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

check engine 2006 Malibu Wakesetter vlx

My first post please be gentle...

Purchased a used 2006 Malibu Wakesetter VLX and splashed the boat in early June. The boat has been running great with absolutely no issues whatsoever. The other day had a great wakeboarding day on the lake and parked the boat on my lift. A few days later I lowered the lift and placed the key in the ignition and started the engine. After the engine started a beep beep beep sounded and a check engine was written on the info screen. Then beeping stopped and the word "check engine" went away and I slowly pulled out from the dock. I floated slowly across the water for 10 minutes then attempted to get some speed. The boat would not go past 600 and some RMP... I shut the engine and started it back up... This time no check engine light appeared and the engine worked fine. I wakeboarded for the day without any problems.

The next day I went out on the lake again no problems at first. I then turned the ignition off to stop the motor. I started the motor up and check engine flashed for a few seconds then stopped. No issues was able to go at any speed without any issues.

I'm from the Northern part of Ontario and it's about a 5 hour trip to the nearest Malibu dealer...

Any suggestions?

Has anyone had the same "check engine"?

I'm going to have to bring it in to the dealer to have it checked out but was hoping someone could shed some light before I made the long travel to the dealership.

...Larky13

If something happens again look at your gauges. IT sounds like ECM is putting you in protect mode but that's still a little odd that you cna't get past 600. For now, I'd suggest checking fluids and keeping an eye out. I don't know the year they went to the new display but if you have the black and white lcd with 6 buttons, you can look for codes. Read the manual and see if a code has been stored that you can access. That may shed some light. There is potential that this is a sensor issue that might not require dealer trip.

On the Excat engines the book says it is an error code for the catalytic conveters and only for the cats at least that is what the manual for my '10 Monsoon says.

he has an 06 so he doesn't have any converters.