Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX transmission plug

Anyone know where the drain plug for a ZF45 (I think) trans drain plug is? Manual shows two bolts on the bottom of the transmission but even after using a mirror to look at the bottom of the trans, I cannot see them. Tried searching the forums, but could find nothing. Thought I would try here before e-mailing the manufacture - Its a 2010 VTX BTW. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

They are there. I had trouble the first time finding mine as well. I don't have my manual with me but if memory serves me right they are small about 10-12 mm heads about 2 to 3 inches apart and hold a round plate with dog ears for the bolt locations. They are underneath the largest diameter part of the transmission further astern then both tranny dipsticks. They will be painted black like everything else on the tranny/engine. I suck the fluid out first like others, but you have to open this drain to get at the tranny filter (it is a fine metal mesh screen). On my first change I found a bunch of crud, but it has been clean ever since. If you check out the ZF marine website below the drawing shows your tranny and the top middle image side view shows the bolts (they are in line with each other) labelled as #1. You may need to gently reach in with your finger to pull the screen out for cleaning. Put a container (old pie tin) underneath before removing the bolts as there will be some fluid drain out. You will have to do this by feel, but once you find them you'll be able to do it.

Once you are down there you may as well check the shaft coupling alignment (0.003"), but at least check that coupling bolts (4) are tight. on my 07 VTX with Monsoon after one year 75 hours they had come completely loose and one or two? had even fallen off. That could have been real damage. My alignment was good, but I think that quality control missed something from the factory. My 08 LSV with hammerhead has been good though.

My link

They are there. I had trouble the first time finding mine as well. I don't have my manual with me but if memory serves me right they are small about 10-12 mm heads about 2 to 3 inches apart and hold a round plate with dog ears for the bolt locations. They are underneath the largest diameter part of the transmission further astern then both tranny dipsticks. They will be painted black like everything else on the tranny/engine. I suck the fluid out first like others, but you have to open this drain to get at the tranny filter (it is a fine metal mesh screen). On my first change I found a bunch of crud, but it has been clean ever since. If you check out the ZF marine website below the drawing shows your tranny and the top middle image side view shows the bolts (they are in line with each other) labelled as #1. You may need to gently reach in with your finger to pull the screen out for cleaning. Put a container (old pie tin) underneath before removing the bolts as there will be some fluid drain out. You will have to do this by feel, but once you find them you'll be able to do it.

Once you are down there you may as well check the shaft coupling alignment (0.003"), but at least check that coupling bolts (4) are tight. on my 07 VTX with Monsoon after one year 75 hours they had come completely loose and one or two? had even fallen off. That could have been real damage. My alignment was good, but I think that quality control missed something from the factory. My 08 LSV with hammerhead has been good though.

My link

Thanks for the info, my boat is out at the cabin, will be heading out there with a pump, I will have another look as I would like to clean the filtre if I can.

Don't bother with the dropping the screen, no one does this and its a total pain to access that area.

Just suck out the fluid and replace with new.