Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Handle and Glove Recommendation

malibuboats91

As the ski season is almost half over for me, I feel it's time to get some new things I have been wanting. Right now I have like 6 rope and handle combos. The handle I like best is falling apart and I want to get a new one. I use the same handle for wakeboarding and slaloming so I switch between the different types of line depending on the sport. I have looked at Radar, Accurate and then a straightline rs handles. I'm not sure which one I really like though. What would you guys suggest? I like a soft grip on the handle and want something thats better than the standard combo handle. I'm also looking to replace my old HO gloves that are paper thin and about to tear. I was looking at the Masterline Pro Lock's but want some opinions as well. I'm hoping to get the stuff before I go up to the cottage next weekend, so help please! Thanks!

Patrick

I ski with the 13" Accurate Radius handle and Masterline Kevlar Pro gloves. Both last quite a long time and make me ski better! :crazy: I don't wakeboard so can't help you there.

Just my opinion, but i avoid Straightline..seen too many handles break. masterline is far superior. joe darwin from lakes at cottonwood is on this site. He is a masterline dealer and offers free shipping. ive done very well by him. Google lakes at cottonwood, and click the "shop" icon

Just my opinion, but i avoid Straightline..seen too many handles break. masterline is far superior. joe darwin from lakes at cottonwood is on this site. He is a masterline dealer and offers free shipping. ive done very well by him. Google lakes at cottonwood, and click the "shop" icon

Any suggestions on gloves?

For the past few years, I've been using HO Clutch gloves with Straightline Radius Tractor handles. Unfortunately, HO no longer makes the Clutch, and the Radar version has also been discontinued. Not sure what I'm going to end up using. If I end up with something like the Masterline Pro Locks (old Clinchers), I'll likely dump the tractor grip as it doesn't offer any more grip into the strap.

Do you have any decent pro shops near you?

For the past few years, I've been using HO Clutch gloves with Straightline Radius Tractor handles. Unfortunately, HO no longer makes the Clutch, and the Radar version has also been discontinued. Not sure what I'm going to end up using. If I end up with something like the Masterline Pro Locks (old Clinchers), I'll likely dump the tractor grip as it doesn't offer any more grip into the strap.

Do you have any decent pro shops near you?

I have one by my cottage that I was at this last weekend and they didn't have the masterline pro locks. I still have to check the shop by my house though. With the pro locks I'm wondering does the rope handle actually get held in the glove by that strap? It looks like it does and what happens if you fall? I could be wrong though

The rope doesn't lock into your gloves with those. To release the handle, you just straighten your fingers. The strap just helps transfer the force of the pull from your palms to your wrists.

I've used Clinchers a few times. I know people who swear by them, but I've never liked them. I don't get a good handle release with them every time. Kindof a pain. That's why I liked the Clutch gloves. They were similar, but were easier to release than the Clincher style gloves with the external straps.

Gloves are a matter of preference. If possible, always best to try them on. For skiing, get the smallest size you can fit in. Excess material leads to blisters. Also gloves stretch when wet. Masterline gloves are good. I currently have HO 41 Tails...which are nice

I use jlb slalom rope and handle (if you need contact info pm me) her stuff is custom made and is AWESOME.

When I wakeboarded I was partial to straight line tractor grip

I use straight line kevlars which have held up better than any glove I have ever had.

I'm going to order the pro locks hopefully tonight. Any ideas of how I can tell what size I need without having to run up to my cottage to check my current ones?

If you really want to improve your grip and reduce blistering, buy the kevlar liners that you wear under your ski gloves. They are awesome. Masterline carries them IIRC.

I second this... Went through 4 Handles in 4 weeks last year and havent used another one since. Lucky for me my local dealer was able to return them and swapped me out for a Radar handle which has worked well...

I second this... Went through 4 Handles in 4 weeks last year and havent used another one since. Lucky for me my local dealer was able to return them and swapped me out for a Radar handle which has worked well...

wow. Wonder what happened to them! I've always had good luck with their stuff. I'm 6'5" 240 and have been using their handles for the last 8 years and haven't ever had a breakage even with some crazy pulls where I should've just let go. Bummer. Wonder if they've changed manufacturers in the past couple years. My last new handle is from about 4 years ago. Those tractor grips just seem to last a long time.