Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vibration after fitting prop

Patrice Forest

Hit a log this weekend. Was going about 15mph. Look like minor prop damage, but boat vibrate quite a bit, and vibration produce loud noise inside the boat the faster you go. I fixed the prop and look fine. You can't even tell it hitted something. Shaft and strut look fine. What else could it be? I don't have access to an other prop to test.

Thanks.

Hit a log this weekend. Was going about 15mph. Look like minor prop damage, but boat vibrate quite a bit, and vibration produce loud noise inside the boat the faster you go. I fixed the prop and look fine. You can't even tell it hitted something. Shaft and strut look fine. What else could it be? I don't have access to an other prop to test.

Thanks.

The shaft can be out as little as 1/1000th and still create a vibration. :whistle:

I would try and find a new prop to try and see if it helps first. I know the Malibu dealer in my area always has a couple on the shelf, even if it is not the pitch you are currently running it will let you know if you need to look at the prop shaft and support. Good luck with the fix.

CB

We dinged the prop at less than idle speed Saturday night. One blade had a slight bend to it. After beating the snot out of it and reinstalling, it seems fine. You may want to test a good prop as stated above to be sure shaft/strut are OK.

Related question - anyone have recommendations for a shop for prop restoration during the off-season?

Tory... H&H prop is the popular one in our area. They are in salem ma i believe but do weekly pickups at most local marinas and reurn them the following week.

That'll do just fine. I can drop it off almost anywhere around Winni or Squam. Thanks Dave.

--Tory.

After dinging mine again this season (our lake is 24 inches down), I bought a backup so performance props here in Tulsa can fix it while I don't have to be dry-docked. This brings up a question i wanted to ask but forgot to bring up on the forum. When looking at a backup the prop guy recommended I buy another brass prop because in the event of a mishap the prop is much more likely to absorb all the damage whereas if I was to go with a stainless (see cheaper) it would transmit much more of the force to the shaft and possibly do shaft damage. Is this commonly believed?

Thanks,

-Scotty