Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

how much throttle

FXIGUY

Obviously the size of the rider, boat, current boat load etc will determine the variances in this question...But, how much throttle do you guys typically give when pulling a slalom skier out of the hole? Today a skier asked for full throttle to "get her on plane quicker" ...I tried explaining that the Bu is a lot more powerful than their fish n ski and that full tilt would likely pull the rope out of her hands....it did. I wound up giving her about 1/4 on the hole shot up to about half as she was about to plane then backed off to a comfortable speed. It got me thinking about it though.....what's the correct way?

Size of the Rider and experience play big factors in how hard to hit. To little and they drag out of the hole, to much and they lose the handle. As you pull a person more and more you will get the feel for what they like.

Size of the Rider and experience play big factors in how hard to hit. To little and they drag out of the hole, to much and they lose the handle. As you pull a person more and more you will get the feel for what they like.

Its really skier preference and depends on the size-of-ski-to-weight ratio, relative strength, and skill level, but I think inexperienced drivers tend to hit too hard rather than not give enough gas. Also, I can tell you with certainty that I can handle much more throttle earlier when I am lighter than when i am heavier or out of shape. I need a slower and more progressive start or I just can't hold on when i am heavier. When I am lighter and in shape you can drop the hammer or not, it doesn't matter. Some drivers tend to think bigger means more throttle early but its just the opposite in my opinion. If the skiier is struggling to hold on to the rope on the start then the driver usually needs to give less throttle and be more progressive with the gas, not the other way around.

Very rider dependent. I like full throttle out of the hole. My wife takes about 1/3 throttle at first and then I gently roll in a little more.

I know what all the skiers I ski with want but always ask an experienced skier I don't know. If its a new skier its softer but as the skier is coming out of the water I give it more go and then back off.

I ski with people who like every bit of the throttle and some that want to drag. It personal. It will also very with the different boats. We have three we ski on a daily bases and each is different.

CC196 is geared down and full throttle will have you on your ski in 5 or 6 seconds.

my RLXI is just a bit softer and the sunseter LXI we like full throttle.

Coming from years of skiing behind an I/O the first time I slalomed behind my DD Malibu the driver hammered the throttle and I simply couldn't hang on to the rope -- bent me over forward and tore the handle from my hands -- repeat about 10 more times and finally realized I need a much slower pull. As stated above I believe your physical condition makes a difference too. If I was in shape and my back and shoulders were strong I may have been able to resist the hard pull and get the ski to plane quickly. However that is not reality and thus I need a softer pull as I suspect most people do.

This thread is perfect in its timing! I readily got up behind my trusty Bayliner many years and a lot of pounds ago. This past weekend I tried numerous times behind the LSV only to have the rope snatched out faster than I could realize what was happening. Granted, I am now North of 300 lbs and less than peak physical shape but I think if I have the boss try a little less throttle to start I may once again be able to pop out! Thanks for the pointers!