Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tranny Slipping - no neutral!!

My '99 sunsetter (325 Monsoon) was getting some water in the tranny oil so I replaced the tranny cooler (most likely source of water). I blew out the lines and flushed it a couple times with new fluid. Now the tranny is slipping and there is no neutral. Stays in Fwd when the throttle is in neutral position, and goes in Rev when pulled back - but no in neutral in between. A friend suggested that due to the water in the tranny fluid, the clutch plates swelled or possibly are not disengaging. Is this a full tranny re-build or just a clutch plate repair?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

My '99 sunsetter (325 Monsoon) was getting some water in the tranny oil so I replaced the tranny cooler (most likely source of water). I blew out the lines and flushed it a couple times with new fluid. Now the tranny is slipping and there is no neutral. Stays in Fwd when the throttle is in neutral position, and goes in Rev when pulled back - but no in neutral in between. A friend suggested that due to the water in the tranny fluid, the clutch plates swelled or possibly are not disengaging. Is this a full tranny re-build or just a clutch plate repair?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

spinning engine speed or just continues to turn? if you put in reverse then go back to neutral does it stop? A slight spin at neutral is common, though not an excessive amount. when you say tranny is slipping, can you describe conditions?

spinning engine speed or just continues to turn? if you put in reverse then go back to neutral does it stop? A slight spin at neutral is common, though not an excessive amount. when you say tranny is slipping, can you describe conditions?

Yes it is spinning pretty close to engine speed. It moves the boat pretty hard at 750rpm (idle) - really strains the dock line. Too much for just "normal". Moves almost normally in reverse.

By "slipping" I mean that the tranny does not seem to be matching boat rpms. It turns the shaft at 750, then as I rev it slowly to say 2000rpms the speed barely gets over 10mph. Increase rpms to say 3000 and eventually it gets to 25-28mph, but with my prop I should be matching mph with rpm pretty closely (3000rpm = 30mph, etc). It does not surge - more of a gradual, smooth slip! If I try to do a SL start - not good. fast rev from 750 to 3000 would never pull a skier up!! Just gradually gets up to speed. Trying NOT to do too much "testing" for fear of blowing the tranny!!

how mnay hours? you mention "tranny oil" in first post, what fluid or oil are you using?

Got away from my computer for a bit there...

Using Mercon/Dexron. Have had pink frothy fluid for a couple of years - keep changing the fluid thinking condensation or some other source of water. Even had the cooler tested at radiator shop - they said no leaks but I cannot think of any other way water is getting in there. Never swamped the boat so no way to get water in through the vent. Less than 400 total hours - I baby the boat.

I had the same issue on a 98 repsonse. The water was from a ruptured cooler, it was chock full of shredded impeller. I replaced the cooler but the trans did not recover with the repeated fluid swaps the mechanic suggested and I wound up swapping it out. I do know the rebult kit is only a few hundred, so you might consider that first but I just swapped mine for a rebuilt unit. My recollection is that it was about $1500 in total.

I had the same issue on a 98 repsonse. The water was from a ruptured cooler, it was chock full of shredded impeller. I replaced the cooler but the trans did not recover with the repeated fluid swaps the mechanic suggested and I wound up swapping it out. I do know the rebult kit is only a few hundred, so you might consider that first but I just swapped mine for a rebuilt unit. My recollection is that it was about $1500 in total.

Sounds like the same problem - happy to hear the cost was not too bad for the rebuilt tranny!! Hopefully I'll be in the same ballpark! I took it to Peter Brown at Smooth Water Sports in Ganesvoort, NY.