Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Opinions and Info Please

I am looking at a 2002 VLX Wakesetter w/ MLS (190hrs) and it has water in the vdrive and tranny, also looks like its been sitting a while.

Engine looks good as well as all the other major stuff.

My questions are i dont mind buying a project boat at a good price if Im still in the money after its fixed but IF I have to replace the trans and/or vdrive how expensive is it?

where can I find these parts online?

Rebuild kits?

is it a real PITA job or not too bad

suggestions?

Im looking at getting this boat around $16.5K

BTW this is my first post

site looks awesome and full of info

I plan on hanging around a while haha

Thanks

:welcome:

Might want to consider a boroscope inspection of the motor as well. Corrosion can cause some real problems later. Check all electronics real close to make sure there isnto any corrosion on the switches and connections.

Good luck

if you have to replace the tranny and v-drive +16.5k you'll be over what that boat is worth IMO (21-24k)... With that said, I had water in my vdrive when I bought the boat, drained it, refilled it, ran it a few hours and changed it again, going on 150 hrs with no problems. Are you familiar with inboards and vdrives? How did the test drive feel?

:welcome:

Might want to consider a boroscope inspection of the motor as well. Corrosion can cause some real problems later. Check all electronics real close to make sure there isnto any corrosion on the switches and connections.

Good luck

Thats a good idea

if you have to replace the tranny and v-drive +16.5k you'll be over what that boat is worth IMO (21-24k)... With that said, I had water in my vdrive when I bought the boat, drained it, refilled it, ran it a few hours and changed it again, going on 150 hrs with no problems. Are you familiar with inboards and vdrives? How did the test drive feel?

Somewhat

no experiance with vdrive but I have had 2 other inboard boats in the past. I have wanted a vdrive because I like all the room it has without the motor in the middle of everything.

No test drive

it needs some work before its running, not getting fuel. That kind of issue does not bother me but the tranny and vdrive can be expensive I bet.

your experience is not the 1st ive read like that. I could get lucky lol

I would assume if it was a issue it would be the oil cooler is bad or the seals around it?

not a big expense

but I try to be as careful as possible and not bite off more then its worth in the end

on the other hand I am becoming more and more desperate to get back on the water asap

Thats a good idea

Somewhat

no experiance with vdrive but I have had 2 other inboard boats in the past. I have wanted a vdrive because I like all the room it has without the motor in the middle of everything.

No test drive

it needs some work before its running, not getting fuel. That kind of issue does not bother me but the tranny and vdrive can be expensive I bet.

your experience is not the 1st ive read like that. I could get lucky lol

I would assume if it was a issue it would be the oil cooler is bad or the seals around it?

not a big expense

but I try to be as careful as possible and not bite off more then its worth in the end

on the other hand I am becoming more and more desperate to get back on the water asap

Go a little older and get a boat that has been properly maintained. The fact that it has been sitting is bad for any of the issues that you are worried about, motor tranny and v drive. Or offer 10K cash take it or leave it. That way you will have enough to replace the tranny and vdrive while overhauling the motor in the off season.

A transmission and v-drive rebuild will not be huge money, best bet is to contact a local rebuild shop and get some quotes, naturally its dependent on what needs replacing - the clutch packs are pretty expensive for sure.

The fact you have water in both the v-drive and tranny most likely means the boat had alot of water in it at one point - so plan on replacing the stater which probably also got wet in the process. The chance of two oil coolers letting in water are fairly slim without a freeze.

Where is this boat located? With the lack of care it has received and a cold climate you are probably facing a cracked block.

Go a little older and get a boat that has been properly maintained. The fact that it has been sitting is bad for any of the issues that you are worried about, motor tranny and v drive. Or offer 10K cash take it or leave it. That way you will have enough to replace the tranny and vdrive while overhauling the motor in the off season.

That was my original offer

they wouldnt even consider it.

Im actually looking at a 06 wakestter with 8.1L in it this weekend that I might just bite the bullet and make payments on for a year.

A transmission and v-drive rebuild will not be huge money, best bet is to contact a local rebuild shop and get some quotes, naturally its dependent on what needs replacing - the clutch packs are pretty expensive for sure.

The fact you have water in both the v-drive and tranny most likely means the boat had alot of water in it at one point - so plan on replacing the stater which probably also got wet in the process. The chance of two oil coolers letting in water are fairly slim without a freeze.

true

It is in NW TX so it does freeze there in the area.

Its not alot of water in the oil but just enough to make it a little foggy i guess is the word to describe it.

But i dont have enough experience at all to know either way thats why im here asking you guys lol

The vdrive should show signs of heat if there is damage right?

thanks for all the advice so far!!

Where is this boat located? With the lack of care it has received and a cold climate you are probably facing a cracked block.

It's not near $4,500 for new tranny and vdrive first of all second of all, the vdrives used in these boats are nearly indestructible so at worst you're probably looking at new tranny IF that's even needed.

From the increased detail I'd say the water got a little high in the bilge and you can probably fix it up with a few fluid changes.

But also plan for a starter and possibly alternator in the near future in the sales price - naturally also change engine oil incase any water got through the pan gasket.

But for $16.5 plus whatever you negotiate off of it based on mechanical condition you have one heck of a boat for the money. Be careful with fuel delivery problems though with MEFI systems it can get expensive fast.

From the increased detail I'd say the water got a little high in the bilge and you can probably fix it up with a few fluid changes.

But also plan for a starter and possibly alternator in the near future in the sales price - naturally also change engine oil incase any water got through the pan gasket.

But for $16.5 plus whatever you negotiate off of it based on mechanical condition you have one heck of a boat for the money. Be careful with fuel delivery problems though with MEFI systems it can get expensive fast.

The MEFI system is next on my concern list

The engine is not getting fuel. Normally im not scared of that issue at all but i was just told by another guy that it can be a nightmare.

Help fill me in on what kind of issues to expect.

Where is the best place online for parts for these boats?

It's not near $4,500 for new tranny and vdrive first of all second of all, the vdrives used in these boats are nearly indestructible so at worst you're probably looking at new tranny IF that's even needed.

"second of all, the vdrives used in these boats are nearly indestructible" I am on my second vdrive in my boat the first one went out at about 500 hours, the keeper that stops the nut on the lower gear on the output shaft let go and I blew mine out. I went from 30 to zero in about 4 seconds.....Luckily my insurance covered it. Walters Vdrive are pretty reliable but have had their problems. Total cost for removal and replacement was $3,800 bucks.

-Dave

The MEFI system is next on my concern list

The engine is not getting fuel. Normally im not scared of that issue at all but i was just told by another guy that it can be a nightmare.

Help fill me in on what kind of issues to expect.

Where is the best place online for parts for these boats?

It can be something simple from a fuse, relay, or kill switch up to a $1200 ECM or $300 fuel pump - you never know.

Best bet would be to have a qualified indmar tech give the thing a very good once over before you lay down any serious cash, or hit the owner with a lower offer because after all the darn doesn't run as it sits.

skidim.com has been good to me for parts in the past.

Edited by 99response

It can be something simple from a fuse, relay, or kill switch up to a $1200 ECM or $300 fuel pump - you never know.

Best bet would be to have a qualified indmar tech give the thing a very good once over before you lay down any serious cash, or hit the owner with a lower offer because after all the darn doesn't run as it sits.

skidim.com has been good to me for parts in the past.

The guy is being an a** about the price

He would rather sit on it and let it rot away then lose a little money and recover what he can.

Got a couple pics under the hood haha

Definitely been pretty wet in there.

What can you make of these....

974aadf7.jpg

49cb5e45.jpg

0308debb.jpg

438025a0.jpg

45f316ae.jpg

What would cause those cracks in the paint on the vdrive? Overheat?

The rest of the boat is in good shape and other then the sundeck the seats are in fair shape (no cracks)

All the dash works and power wise everything electrical is functioning.

Just the issues i mentioned before.

Its still iffy.

The teak can be cleaned however I have maentioned before that you need to budget for at least an overhaul of the motor. Based on the pics you have I would stay away at the price listed. If the seller wont budge let him eat the damage, it looks like it has been down.

The teak can be cleaned however I have maentioned before that you need to budget for at least an overhaul of the motor. Based on the pics you have I would stay away at the price listed. If the seller wont budge let him eat the damage, it looks like it has been down.

What do you mean "down"?

Sunk?

Broke?

If it did i would say it was just the Stern area. No wood damaged anywear past that. The wall infront of the vdrive/engine hatch is in good shape. Only damage was to sundeck and seat cusion in center is borderline.

Is this a bad scenario?

I really feel like it still might be a deal at 12.5k

Got some work and knuckle bustin to do but some late nights and a fridge full of beer should get it back on the water soon i think.

What else should i be concerned with?

If it did i would say it was just the Stern area. No wood damaged anywear past that. The wall infront of the vdrive/engine hatch is in good shape. Only damage was to sundeck and seat cusion in center is borderline.

Is this a bad scenario?

I really feel like it still might be a deal at 12.5k

Got some work and knuckle bustin to do but some late nights and a fridge full of beer should get it back on the water soon i think.

What else should i be concerned with?

The only wood there should be on that boat is the teak deck. The seat bottom with plywood on the bottom does not look like anything that is on my 99.

Paying anything over 5K is putting you at risk. IMO

You said the boat wont start, my guess is the motor got wet and it never will run right until it has has an overhaul. It can be salvaged, but only at the right price. Take the low end of what the boat should be worth deduct engine overhaul, v drive replace/overhaul, tranny overhaul, fuel pump/delevery system replacement. about 2K for wiring and other unseen losses, and dont forget your time and effort., you should make a few thousand in the deal. That number is the actual worth of the boat

EX

20000 estimated value (I made this up dont use this number)

(4500) Motor overhaul

(4000) vdrive replacement

(3000) tranny overhaul

(1000) fuel system

(2000) unforseen

(5000) Your effort

= 500 net value of the boat.

Good luck

This boat has been sunk in a flood. Probably the 2010 Guadalupe river flood. I would run, not walk away from it. Even after rebuilding the engine, tranny, v-drive, replacing the gas tank, and starter, you will be chasing electrical gremlins forever.

"second of all, the vdrives used in these boats are nearly indestructible" I am on my second vdrive in my boat the first one went out at about 500 hours, the keeper that stops the nut on the lower gear on the output shaft let go and I blew mine out. I went from 30 to zero in about 4 seconds.....Luckily my insurance covered it. Walters Vdrive are pretty reliable but have had their problems. Total cost for removal and replacement was $3,800 bucks.

-Dave

I don't know what you're describing but you are the first person I have ever heard of with a vdrive detonation. all a vdrive is a redirection gear and our boats are very low on the list in terms of duty cycle on these. how much of that was for labor/parts?