Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Critique my surfing

turbojamie

Hey guys

I just got onto the surfing last summer. I had a 99 Response LX that we loaded with 1000 lbs of water + wedge and was able to go ropeless by the very end of last summer after dropping a few lbs.

This spring we purchased an 08 VTX with factory MLS but no bow ballast, power wedge etc...

So this video is 500 lbs in rear locker + stock MLS full on right side and center plus another 500 lb bag on the bow seat surf side and wedge at 12 o'clock.

I am riding a liquid force venture board. Today is my birthday so I treated myself to an inland surfer sweet spot camo hoping I can master a 360 by the end of the summer. Also dropped more lbs doing P90x so Im at 205 lbs in the video.

If there is anything I can do to lengthen my wave and give it more push Im open to suggestions. The boat had 1/2 tank of gas and 2 ppl in it during the video we run it at 10.8 on the cruise and that is about as far back as I can get without falling off the wave.

http://www.youtube.com/user/a7m266d?feature=mhee

Edited by turbojamie

Looks like you need a little more speed to clean up the wave, really washed out at the top. Other than that looks good for just going ropeless.

I'd do a 750# sac in rear locker and a 400# sac under the seats on surf side, full MLS, and wedge 1-3 clicks up from 12 o'clock. This should get you to what you describe you want and you won't have any sacs on the seats.

Edit: If you don't have a bow tank you'll want to keep that sac in the bow and have it at least 1/2 full and on the surf side.

Edited by 06vlx

Looks like you need a little more speed to clean up the wave, really washed out at the top. Other than that looks good for just going ropeless.

I'd do a 750# sac in rear locker and a 400# sac under the seats on surf side, full MLS, and wedge 1-3 clicks up from 12 o'clock. This should get you to what you describe you want and you won't have any sacs on the seats.

Edit: If you don't have a bow tank you'll want to keep that sac in the bow and have it at least 1/2 full and on the surf side.

I'll try a little quicker. I do the 500 in the rear so I was planning to grab a bigger bag when I head north next. When you do 1-3 clicks up are you talking Counter clock wise on the gauge so 11 or 10 o'clock or 1 -2 o'clock?

I always keep 500 lb minimum in the bow. My surf side has the cooler so are you saying to put water / weight in the cooler or up near the driver etc? Anyone have pics of their bags in the boat?

Yeah never mind about the 400# sac under the surf side seats, forgot you were goofy when I said that. No room for it on the goofy side you'll have to keep that 500# sac on the seats behind the driver, then keep the bag in the bow if you don't have a bow ballast tank.

For the wedge setting I was taling about deploying the wedge all the way down as far as it goes, then 1-3 clicks up from there.

Speed needs to come up a bit...11-11.4. More weight always helps but your wave doesn't look too bad

As far as your surfing is concerned. Looks like you still keep a good bit of your weight on your back leg. Also, work on keeping your shoulders and hips square with the board. They are a bit open. You are also using your arms for balance, which is a natural reaction. Work on keeping your balance and making turns without using your arms so much. Weight on the balls of your feet and use the edge of the board to cut into the wave. Oh and no more beach boys :biggrin:

Yeah never mind about the 400# sac under the surf side seats, forgot you were goofy when I said that. No room for it on the goofy side you'll have to keep that 500# sac on the seats behind the driver, then keep the bag in the bow if you don't have a bow ballast tank.

For the wedge setting I was taling about deploying the wedge all the way down as far as it goes, then 1-3 clicks up from there.

With goofy the VTX likes another 400lb in the bow!

I think you looked great out there. you didn't have the greatest wake (it curled over st the top) but still managed to do good.Clap.gif you need to keep more weght on your front foot though, it looks like your king of falling out of the wake at times

Edited by Stevefo

Try speeding up to get a cleaner wake..The Sweet Spot will help you keep up. I can ride at over 13mph with one.. Very fast board..keep inching up your speed to get a cleaner wake with more drive to it.

More weight will always help as well! Try putting a bag on the floor...It is amazing to watch you wake and have one person move throughout the boat to see how it affects it!

Great job!

Matthew

Thank you guys! Cannot wait to get my inland surfer sweet spot!

Are you putting weight in the rear sun deck locker or just on the surf side seats or both? Sometimes the locker talk is confusing!

Crash-I have seen your posts that is a sick wake! I searched all your pics.

So basically I need an additional 400 in the nose ontop of the 500 I run now and another 400 on the surf side?

I also run another config that is 500 in sundeck locker and 500 on the floor in the bow, mls full on right and mid with pw at 50% this works good with a few people in the boat.

I rarely disagree with 06, but here goes. :D The first part is definitely true and was the very first thing I noticed. Compare your wake side to side with ours http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk7lvqWXK6A. See the large area right behind her with a perfectly clean lip? The whitewash you are getting all along the lip will grab your board and your lower legs and pull you out of the sweet spot. The longer you get a clean edge the further back you can ride.

From my experience the best way to clean up the lip is to get the swim plaform into the water. Riding behind my boat I can look down at the platform and watch the water coming out to perfectly match the clean area on the wake. To get the swim platform in deeper, you need more weight in the very back and you need list, which means getting all the weight on the boat as far to the side as possible so that the boat leans. That's why I switched to lead weight and generally ignore the front tank in my boat. The front tank tends to put most of the weight in the middle and I wanted it on the very edge.

When people say locker, then mean the sun deck lockers on either side of the engine on a v-drive.

With the setup you have now, personally I would put 500# in the rear locker with the other 500# on top of it, but not full. That will weight the back a lot more and give you much more list. With all the weight in the back, you can go faster, which will level out the boat as if you had more weight in the bow.

If you are going to keep weight in the bow, I would rig up something to keep the bag as far to the surfside as possible.

I can never remember which way props rotate on different boats, but you can also try turning very slightly left or right the entire run and see which side gives you a better wake. On my Moomba we steered very slightly left, but on the LSV we go straight unless someone drops way back and is pumping to get back in, in which case steering a little right will give them more push.

There's my .02 rupies. :)