Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stuck in "limp" mode when drive is engaged

My 2001 Sunsetter LXI is stuck in "limp" mode after changing the impeller. The old impeller failed, the engine heated up and went into limp mode. I then changed the impeller and the boat ran decent, but still "missed". Water temp was normal. After a short time, it returned to limp mode and will not leave it. I've tried d/c battery for a hard reset, new plugs, and fully cleared the baffle/filter/trans fluid cooler thingy where stuff collects to block the cooling efficiency.

I'm open to any other ideas. Indmar says it is an ECM. The engine will rev normally when in neutral (all the way up to 5000 RPMs), but when there is a load place on it in drive it loads up and behaves like in limp mode.

I'll take any advice to narrow down the potential problem.

Thanks,

Lee

530 306 9009

My 2001 Sunsetter LXI is stuck in "limp" mode after changing the impeller. The old impeller failed, the engine heated up and went into limp mode. I then changed the impeller and the boat ran decent, but still "missed". Water temp was normal. After a short time, it returned to limp mode and will not leave it. I've tried d/c battery for a hard reset, new plugs, and fully cleared the baffle/filter/trans fluid cooler thingy where stuff collects to block the cooling efficiency.

I'm open to any other ideas. Indmar says it is an ECM. The engine will rev normally when in neutral (all the way up to 5000 RPMs), but when there is a load place on it in drive it loads up and behaves like in limp mode.

I'll take any advice to narrow down the potential problem.

Thanks,

Lee

530 306 9009

I am VERY interested to see if anyone has any input on this one as I am also dealing with a constant "limp mode" characteristic in my 2000 Wakesetter 23 LSV. Hopefully someone chimes in. Sorry I'm no help though.

Just diagnosed as a faulty fuel pump. Thanks for the tips. The give away was the fact that it would rev in neutral, but not when under a load.

Many thanks to those that weighed in.