Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cooler Bag

Tedro

I was wondering how many people use their under seat cooler or cooler bag and what is the best way to use it? My 08 vRide has an insulated bag but if I just put ice in the cooler under the seat it seems to melt pretty quickly. I have tried just putting it in the removable insulated bag but it doesn't hold too much with drinks and food. Guess I could just put food in the bag and drinks in locker. I have thought about insulting the under the seat cooler too. Wondered if anybody had tried this or had any good tips for storage other than just taking along another portable cooler which takes up a lot of extra room. Sounds stupid but I figured some of you boat pros had some good ideas.

Ted

tell him about the frozen water bottles Bill!! :biggrin: Best idea you've had that I use alot!!

AO makes a sweet soft cooler that will hold 48 cans and 20lbs of ice, that thing is sweet and looks indestructible!!

Edited by Ndawg12

Yep, when you buy a case of bottled water, throw 1/2 of them in the freezer. Then when you stock your cooler bag, fill it with beer, pop, regular water & a handful of the frozen bottles. Then pack that down to the boat & back (full of empties). The fact that you don't have a lot of melting ice in & around the cooler bag seems to keep it in better condition. The frozen water keeps everything else cold plus it melts in a few hours & is drinkable.

Only drawback is if you want ice to put in drinks.

We also use an AO backpack cooler, which will keep ice literally for days. Usually the pack has food in it, and the bag has the drinks. :rockon:

BTW, I did a ski trip to Birmingham, AL last weekend. I brought that AO cooler backpack as my carry on on the plane. Filled it full of drinks & munchies, plus my laptop, phone charger, etc. Then while we were there, emptied it out & used it as a cooler for the weekend. :rockon:

I have a 2004, large cooler, but no bag. Last year, I went to Home Depot, picked up a roll of bubble wrap-like silver coated insulation, and cut pieces to fit in the cooler, bottom and sides. My cooler was a thin black fiberclass bucket type shape. I then built a acrylic fish tank like cooler on top (sealing all the seams, etc), clear. I also put some LED lights underneath. Anyway, it worked real well, but could never keep all the water from penetrating beneath the acrylic/plexi glass, and after a while the bubble wrap started turning black from mold or whatever. Ripped it all out.

The part I did keep is some insulation i double taped on the outside of the hard to reach long side of the cooler. Mine had a huge opening (not sealed) on the outside long section. That seamed to cut down on a lot of the hot air flow into the cooler, and improved ice retention.

I am lucky to have mine on a slip with a fridge/freezer, so everything goes in cold. I usually stock it fully, and bring a couple extra bags of ice, i keep in a plastic bag. I was out for 5 hours yesterday in Dallas 100degree sun, and still had ice left at the end of the day.

Have a soft sided Axis cooler that came with the boat. Have noticed that it melts faster on the floor but slower if I put some towels under it. Wonder if the heat xfer is quicker when on a hard or non-insulated surface. Great idea on the water bottles.

Good idea Bill on the frozen water bottles. I "recycle" my old gallon plastic milk jugs for ice. We rinse em out, fill em almost to the top, keep about 3 or 4 around in deep freezer at a time, then before heading out just use a hammer and bust em into big pieces and use the claw end of hammer to empty into to cooler. Only takes a minute and it saves an extra stop for ice plus its free.

I guess I was just wondering if most people fill the under seat "ice chest" portion with ice, or if they use the cooler bag for extra insulation and put the ice in it, or just food in it? Wasn't sure how long ice would last just in the ice chest without insulation but some people made it sound like theirs lasts all day.

Yep, when you buy a case of bottled water, throw 1/2 of them in the freezer. Then when you stock your cooler bag, fill it with beer, pop, regular water & a handful of the frozen bottles. Then pack that down to the boat & back (full of empties). The fact that you don't have a lot of melting ice in & around the cooler bag seems to keep it in better condition. The frozen water keeps everything else cold plus it melts in a few hours & is drinkable.

Only drawback is if you want ice to put in drinks.

We also use an AO backpack cooler, which will keep ice literally for days. Usually the pack has food in it, and the bag has the drinks. :rockon:

BTW, I did a ski trip to Birmingham, AL last weekend. I brought that AO cooler backpack as my carry on on the plane. Filled it full of drinks & munchies, plus my laptop, phone charger, etc. Then while we were there, emptied it out & used it as a cooler for the weekend. :rockon:

My cooler bag is hanging from a nail in the garage, so it is more of a banner than a cooler bag. I'm keeping it nice for the next owner. I use a soft side cooler bag with the velcro top and keep it in the walkway. I use hardly any ice and don't have to ask anyone to move when I need something from the cooler. Life is good.

We don't have an extra bag cooler. We just throw about 18 frozen water bottles in along with the rest of our drinks and food, plus the ice from our icemaker. This works great for us. I'd like to buy one of those AO coolers if they would make one to fit in the cooler space.