Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advertising??

wake00

Sorry if this has been talked about already: But how come we don't have any advertisements on this site? I notice other sites have them, and if they would pay for this site to survive I all for it. I know we can donate and pay for more options as users, but i was just curious whats the deal with this situation.

Maybe the admins could see if Wakeside wants to be a sponsor? Biggrin.gif

By all accounts, Wakeside is a quality outfit and certainly all of my interactions with them have been positive. I'm just having some fun. :lol:

Indeed, good one. :)

For now, this site is member-supported. As a short term solution, I believe that we can make this work. Long term? I don't know, I don't have any way of knowing how big and busy the site will become. I cannot promise that this site won't have advertising on it (the only sure things in life being death & taxes), but I will say that I have serious concerns at bringing on advertisers. Every last site that I've been a member on that brought on advertising changed after the fact, & I don't want to put myself or any member of the team in the position of feeling that they need to be a salesman for that company in order to keep them as a sponsor. In short, it would have to be just the right situation for it to work.

Who knows where this rollercoaster ride will end. We're 2 weeks old today & we registered our 200th member. Yahoo.gif

The best forums I have participated on have not had advertising and were solely self supported. We all just have to participate adn either buy goods, donate, or join.

Indeed, good one.  :)

For now, this site is member-supported.  As a short term solution, I believe that we can make this work.  Long term?  I don't know, I don't have any way of knowing how big and busy the site will become.  I cannot promise that this site won't have advertising on it (the only sure things in life being death & taxes), but I will say that I have serious concerns at bringing on advertisers.  Every last site that I've been a member on that brought on advertising changed after the fact, & I don't want to put myself or any member of the team in the position of feeling that they need to be a salesman for that company in order to keep them as a sponsor.  In short, it would have to be just the right situation for it to work.

Who knows where this rollercoaster ride will end.  We're 2 weeks old today & we registered our 200th member. Yahoo.gif

It's much better without the ad's, maybe we could do a recommended vendor section though. So we all know the right places to buy stuff for our BU and maybe include a feedback section on each vendor?

Without the ad's - When I ask you a question on where to buy something, I know I will get an honest answer......... and not a paid one! :)

Well that's why I'm glad I asked the question. I was curious about the topic, and now I understand more. I love the site and the way it is. I wouldn't mind at all if it didn't change. I just hope it stays for good, it's a great site.

Well that's why I'm glad I asked the question. I was curious about the topic, and now I understand more. I love the site and the way it is. I wouldn't mind at all if it didn't change. I just hope it stays for good, it's a great site.

Thanks so much for your comments. :)

WakeGirl Posted Yesterday, 07:53 PM

QUOTE(wake00 @ Apr 18 2005, 07:50 PM)

Thanks so much for your comments. 

If you, and others, like the site the way it is please suppport it with your wallet as well as your participation. ( I figured Tracie was too polite to ask for cash in response to a compliment.)

It would be pretty cool if once a year the site did an annual report and then did a membership pledge drive, kind of like PBS does. That way Tracie could say all right, "it takes $2k to keep TMC alive so let's make it happen." Then we all know it's time to support our favorite home away from home. :)

I was using my dad's computer the other day... and his pop-up blocker, kept popping up to tell me that there was a pop-up that it had blocked (must have been a selfesteem thing..)

Had a good laugh at that, and of course I didn't fix it for him.. (check the box that says "don't show this message again".. lol

It would be pretty cool if once a year the site did an annual report and then did a membership pledge drive, kind of like PBS does. That way Tracie could say all right, "it takes $2k to keep TMC alive so let's make it happen." Then we all know it's time to support our favorite home away from home. :)

I think a membership drive would be a great idea. I also think we should make sure new members are aware of the requirements of this site. Maybe we could give a hard time to members that do not pay and post very little useful information. We could call them a bayliner or something. I know that will not work and we should take the high road. We should not tease and give people a hard time. But, it is so much fun.

Oh well. I am open to supporting and paying to have this GREAT resource available for years to come. You guys have got me so hooked that I could never buy any other brand of boat.

Also, let me add that Tracie and the other admins have put in so much time, sweat, and blood into TMC. I am sure they have spent much of there own money to set-up and run this site. I think some money paid to them would not be out of line. I do not know how this would work but I am sure there are solutions out there! Just think how a ski clubs have boards to run things.

What do you guys think?

Kelly

Kelly

Maybe we could give a hard time to members that do not pay and post very little useful information.  We could call them a bayliner or something.

I assure you that I have no idea who he is talking about.... Whistling.gif

March commission check finally arrived. Yahoo.gif Just paid for my membership, my t-shirts, and now gotta figure out the decals.

Admins & Mods.... Thumbup.gif ....Thanks again for the awesome site.

I enjoy the site for it's information and entertainment. I joined the MBO site, and about a week later it ended. So I would like to see this site survive. And with ya'lls persistence, I have been convinced to upgrade to "Crew Supporter". Biggrin.gif

March commission check finally arrived. Yahoo.gif Just paid for my membership, my t-shirts, and now gotta figure out the decals.

Man I want your job! I got my annual bonus and it was just enough to cover the membership. :(

Man I want your job!

Sorry, I need it right now. My boys have gotten used to eating everyday. Besides, you sure you want to drive 45-50K miles a year and do the hotel hop every other week? I left outside sales for a while and almost went batty, I had to get back out on the road. But it ain't for everyone. And you have to have a strong wife... :) ...mine's awesome.

I joined the MBO site, and about a week later it ended.

Contact Jason about a refund. He has done so for others who had just recently joined/renewed. If not, you try contacting PayPal (if that's how you paid). You paid for a one year membership to MBO and did not receive it. They might be able to reverse the charges. But I would definitely contact Jason (skicrave) first via PM through WSR. He sure seems like a stand up guy, he'll take care of you but you have to ask. Good luck.

Man I want your job!

Sorry, I need it right now. My boys have gotten used to eating everyday. Besides, you sure you want to drive 45-50K miles a year and do the hotel hop every other week? I left outside sales for a while and almost went batty, I had to get back out on the road. But it ain't for everyone. And you have to have a strong wife... :) ...mine's awesome.

I do 40K minimum in air miles every year, does that count?

And I know what you mean about a strong wife, when your on the road 1/2 the year the wife has to do everything including fix all the busted stuff. Sounds like you got a good one as well. :)