Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bypass MTC to start engine

I don't have pics yet because it is raining out. Will update tomorrow.

My service tech and I were talking candidly about mtc. I made the statement that it would be nice to have a backup just in case mtc takes a dump. He was telling me that they discussed how to hot wire the engine at Indmar training. This is similar to what the nautique folks are doing for their linc system.

My engine is v drive so if I say "back of engine" I mean the actual back of the engine, not the front, which faces back :crazy:

There is a purple wiring harness attached to the back of the engine, just above the transmission. To jump the engine you need to connect the purple and red wires together. Make sure there are no gas fumes before attempting because it does spark a little.

Surely, there is a smart crafty person on this forum that can confirm this and make us up some type of switch to start the engine just in case of emergency.

I don't have pics yet because it is raining out. Will update tomorrow.

My service tech and I were talking candidly about mtc. I made the statement that it would be nice to have a backup just in case mtc takes a dump. He was telling me that they discussed how to hot wire the engine at Indmar training. This is similar to what the nautique folks are doing for their linc system.

My engine is v drive so if I say "back of engine" I mean the actual back of the engine, not the front, which faces back :crazy:

There is a purple wiring harness attached to the back of the engine, just above the transmission. To jump the engine you need to connect the purple and red wires together. Make sure there are no gas fumes before attempting because it does spark a little.

Surely, there is a smart crafty person on this forum that can confirm this and make us up some type of switch to start the engine just in case of emergency.

Those pics will be nice...

Thats great information, I bet wiring a key would be very do-able... this will be one of my winter projects. I am in contact right now with R&D for Malibu to throw the bug in there ear people would like to have a keyed back-up. I think the 2010 also uses a keyless ignition, I am sure some of those folks would also be interested.

Edited by Fman

Those pics will be nice...

Thats great information, I bet wiring a key would be very do-able... this will be one of my winter projects. I am in contact right now with R&D for Malibu to throw the bug in there ear people would like to have a keyed back-up. I think the 2010 also uses a keyless ignition, I am sure some of those folks would also be interested.

Oh they know about. EVERYBODY wants a key. :lol:

Sorry, spent the day on the lake and didn't get any pics of harness. I was afraid to take my phone out because I accidentally chunked my other one in the lake last weekend (didn't get the sunscreen off my hands good enough). :rofl:

I will be cleaning it up a little tomorrow so I will get pics up in the morning.

Edited by bamabonners