Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom Ski Suggestion for Daughter

Pondking

Hi all,

Been a while since I've been on the site. Miss reading all the helpfull info.

Looking for all your great experiences and suggestions for a slalom ski for my 12 yr old daughter.

5"4 120lbs

VERY strong and amazing athelete.

She has ridden slalom on the combos single (wide with big flat spot).

She really wants to excel and ski the course with the old man. That may take a couple years and I was thinking of some thing she can progress with that wont be too sqirrelly when riden flat.

Some thoughts were

Radar P6 or Lyric

HO Muse or Couture(maybe too advanced) Theory is an option too but she asked for somthing girly colored to keep her brother away.

Any experiences and suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by Pondking

Well, as luck would have it, I just so happen to also have a very strong 12 y.o. girl in the other room who fully endorses her 2011 Radar Lyric (w/ Lyric boots). It certainly will satisfy the requirement of "girly colors", and the price is pretty reasonable. Radar does offer a "package" deal if you get it w/ boots . Just don't let yours know that Radar makes a matching vest and gloves for the Lyric...or you'll be out another $140 (I guess its a girl thing). The 65" Lyric will be a great ski for your daughter w/ some room for her to grow into. Coming off a combo slalom, you should see immediate and significant improvement.

I think there are a couple more pix in my gallery under "misc" of my daughter skiing it while at a recent clinic (& hanging w/ her BFF, Seth Stisher) .

FYI, the Lyric was redesigned for 2011 to be based more on the Radar Strada shape. It is the "girls" version of the Radar Senate w/ a slightly softer flex. It is about 0.20" wider then standard. The P6 you mentioned is IIRC 0.60" wider. The Theory would fall in between the two.

post-5162-059594100 1310082126_thumb.jpg

post-5162-063121100 1310082136_thumb.jpg

Edited by davemac

Thanks DaveMac,

After researching all I totally agree that is the best option.

That said I have looked everywhere that I know and cant find a 65 from '09,'10 or '11. I'll keep looking but may have to go with the HO Couture but concerned it may be a little high end.

Welcome all suggestions.

Edited by Pondking

Hmmm...Did you try calling the good people at Radarskis up there in WA? 425-369-6850 They may know of a dealer that may have one. Else try

www.h20proshop.com

www.perfski.com

www.3eventstore.com

www.waterskis.com

www.wileyski.com

There is an unused 2008 on www.ski-it-again.com and a 2009 on ebay.

Another good ski to consider would be the HO Triumph. They made a womens version for a couple years called the "Siren". Darren Wiley up there in WA had a bunch of leftovers. You might contact him, as he has much more than what is shown on his website. Some years had some "almost girly colors".

Good luck...if she has the passion for skiing...get her off that combo slalom...those things get real squirrelly when the speed gets up.

Hmmm...Did you try calling the good people at Radarskis up there in WA? 425-369-6850 They may know of a dealer that may have one. Else try

www.h20proshop.com

www.perfski.com

www.3eventstore.com

www.waterskis.com

www.wileyski.com

There is an unused 2008 on www.ski-it-again.com and a 2009 on ebay.

Another good ski to consider would be the HO Triumph. They made a womens version for a couple years called the "Siren". Darren Wiley up there in WA had a bunch of leftovers. You might contact him, as he has much more than what is shown on his website. Some years had some "almost girly colors".

Good luck...if she has the passion for skiing...get her off that combo slalom...those things get real squirrelly when the speed gets up.

Thanks for the great info!!!

Another good ski to consider would be the HO Triumph. They made a womens version for a couple years called the "Siren". Darren Wiley up there in WA had a bunch of leftovers.

The HO triumph is a overall great ski and is the most used on our boat. My daughter is 16 and loves it, it has really helped her alot. I would suggest trying to demo one, you may need to mess with the fin a little but when dialed in the ski is awesome. easy starts, carves hard and tight but stable and forgiving. Great decel in and respectable accel. out.

When I started my daughter out her second ski at that age was a HO Monza. Ya I know it was a little overkill but she really handles it well. I always feel that if you give them the tools they can take it farther. There is no limitations to that ski for her and she will be able to ski it for as long as I pull her. If she is that strong much like my daughter she will be just fine. Find a used one on ski it again.

Can you believe it, there is 1 65 lyric for sale in all of North America, a new 09 and the guy is talking me out of it. In fact he said the same thing as Twiggy and he doesnt have one to sell. WOW! Leaning towards the Couture.

Hmm...I don't know much about the Couture. It looks pretty pricey, standard width, and relatively high end. The concern is that some of the higher end skis tend to be pretty darn fast/slippery, and are only happy if they are on edge. It might be a big jump for her. Personally, I think HO Triumph might be a better next step, with its extra width and stable platform.

Not knowing your price point...but If to buy new, I'd either call Tadd at H20smosis on Monday (he is away at a tourney this weekend), or call or email Darren Wiley at Wileys....and tap their expertise, and see what they may have in their inventory.

Bummer the allotment of Lyrics are sold out for the year. If she'll go for the graphics, I wonder if you can't find the mens version....the Radar Senate (a highly regarded ski).

If girly graphics are a must....D3 has some great offerings, but will be a bit pricey. www.d3skis.com

Here are some used options on www.ski-it-again.com .... go on their website and enter in these SIA #'s in the top left search box

14305 (the seller, PJ, is a great guy...probably is away this weekend at pro ski tourney up there in Michigan)

You'll likely also be faced w/ the dilemma of what route to go for boots (toe plate or double boot). Personal taste, but seems that most accomplished women skiers run double boots. My 12 y.o. runs doubles...all she has known since she never dropped a ski... and was adamant to learn deep water start from the get go (deep V "training handle" was the best $30 ever spent).

Edited by davemac

My daughter, now 16, started slalom skiing about 5 years ago (about your daughter's age). She has always been on an HO Triumph. The ski is a little wider so it's pretty easy to get up on, which was good when she was just learning. Now she takes pride in the fact that she can ski a whole set and not get her hair wet :crazy:

It's a good slalom ski to start and is still a good enough ski that you can grow in to it. Doesn't come in "girly" colors as far as I know though.

Edit: spelling

Edited by CedarLakeSkier

There is a HO System 8 on ski it again for $250.00 similar and a little mor forgiving than the Monza. Radar Senate is also a great ski. I found a 2010 model at year end last for $100.00 on there outlet. Still can't believe it and love ski. I had a HO triumph before senate and found that the senate turns much easier compared to the Triumph. Liked Triumph but personally love Senate.

There is a HO System 8 on ski it again for $250.00 similar and a little mor forgiving than the Monza. Radar Senate is also a great ski. I found a 2010 model at year end last for $100.00 on there outlet. Still can't believe it and love ski. I had a HO triumph before senate and found that the senate turns much easier compared to the Triumph. Liked Triumph but personally love Senate.

I was thinking of trading "up" from my Triumph to a Senate (It was actually a Senate C that I tried). It is a skinnier ski so I thought it was harder to get up on. Also, whenever I made a turn the ski slid out from underneath me, it never seemed to hold an edge. I have a feeling it was my form/skiing that was causing it, but still it seems to be a much less forgiving ski and I personnally would suggest a Triumph over a Senate for a beginner.

That Triumph package at Adrenaline Watersports looks to be a good find and very good deal. Letting her learn to rip on that for a few years (before potentially advancing to one of the high end skis) would not be such a bad idea. You could always flip the ski on ski it again or ebay...as I would expect it to stay marketable for some time.

I an not saying any bad advice given as I agree with most all of it. I will say if she is very athletic and wanting to get into the course and I mean have a good go at it I would not hesitate getting into a hi end ski. I would be careful not to get a ski that needs to be on edge all the time but there are a lot of hi end skies that are very comfortable with a relaxed ski. Some of the D3 have great ability and ski very good easy also. I thought my 9500 Goode was an easy ski to ski. I have not skied any of the new Goods.

I am not one that think a fatter ski is necessary good for a athletic skier who is willing to get after it. They are great for a skier who need one for a reason.

Do not get a ski to big for her. JMHO

My youngest is 100 pounds and 5'-2" at 13. She is on a HO judge 61"and I beleve it is currently call the grifter ? In her second season on the ski she runs the course long line at 28mph(with gates). The ski is shaped after the Monza but is much softer with low cost materials. In early june she had a ski camp and the advice form the coaches was keep them short to promote carving.

Can you believe it, there is 1 65 lyric for sale in all of North America, a new 09 and the guy is talking me out of it. In fact he said the same thing as Twiggy and he doesnt have one to sell. WOW! Leaning towards the Couture.

check out www.xtrememarineinc.com they have one on the shelf. Ask for Michael, he is the pro shop guy... Its already set up with lyric boots and if not mistaken 400$ range... White and Pink, I got one for my wife and she likes it alot.

Thank you all for your insight and suggestions. Much appreciated!!!

We are off to the lake in a couple days. I'll report on outcome, let you know if I made the right choice and post some pics of H on her new stick.

I got my wife a Radar P 6 (in the girlie colors) a couple of years ago and she loves it. I have ridden it myself a few times just to try it out (I'm not sure if my feet are too small or hers to big the boot fits me OK - snug but OK) and I have been very impressed. Nice and fast, agressive but still has some forgiveness...not like my System 8. I understand the Lyric would give just that little more OOMPH to the ride. I would echo a few other comments on here about not going too big. If she skis hard on a combo slalom ski she will be bored out of her mind with a fatty. I am very pleased that she is skiing, it's so cool to watch them grow up with it. My kids are 6 and 4 and they love their trainer, of course they were riding on tubes with me when they were 1 and kneeboards when they were 2 so they don't really have a choice.

I hope she loves whatever you get her!!

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you all again for your suggestions.

I ended up with a 2010 HO Couture 65 for a few reasons.

-Higher end design that can take her to course in a year or two is the biggest of them along with

-the price given to me by the guys at Wiley's (well deserved shameless plug)

Here are pics at set 1 after leaving boom for long line and set 4...A marked inmprovement.

She is struggling with the 1 ski start and ends up dropping most of the time, but I know that will come. Looking for a deep V handle to help her if anyone has lying around.

post-787-025534000 1313789582_thumb.jpg

post-787-074722400 1313791180_thumb.jpg

Yes...Awesome Stuff!!! 2nd pic shows much improvement (getting her hips up). "Hips up, handle low"....I constantly harp on that w/ my daughter. Start early building that foundation by getting her skiing through her core, rather than arms and shoulders.

Sorry I can't part w/ my deep V handle (never know when a boat guest will need it). It is a great tool, and well spent $30 (just to avoid worrying about, or losing the drop ski). One final comment...the deep V training handle are great initially, but don't let her get too dependent on it....so she'll be able to ski behind other people's boats without it.

Edited by davemac

Looking for a deep V handle to help her if anyone has lying around.

Had I seen this a few hours ago I would have grabbed it from the boat and shipped it to you. We're almost strictly boarding now, with limited skiing, and no need for the deep-V handle. I won't be back to the boat until next Friday night. Shoot me a note if you still are looking for one in a week. She may not need it by then... :thumbup:

--T.

• 1 year later...

Anybody know the difference between a 63 inch Radar Lyric and a 63 inch Radar Awesomeness? I'm shopping for a new ski for my 12 year old daughter (90 lbs.) She's currently chasing orange buoys at 26.7 and 28.6 mph...Please share any other suggestions. She's currently on a 61 inch HO Judge, and the binding is too loose.

Edited by MizzouMike

Anybody know the difference between a 63 inch Radar Lyric and a 63 inch Radar Awesomeness? I'm shopping for a new ski for my 12 year old daughter (90 lbs.) She's currently chasing orange buoys at 26.7 and 28.6 mph...Please share any other suggestions. She's currently on a 61 inch HO Judge, and the binding is too loose.

Thats a good question. I would call or email the good folks at Radarskis for clarification. They are good people with great customer service.

Awesomeness is a girls junior ski while Lyric is a womens ski. much different flex. would suggest to go lyric based on age and likely massive growth and strength spurt around the corner.