Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

shasta lake update

m&m

i may be a bit pre mature with this post but i know some of you go to shasta lake for summer vaca.

shasta is currently @ 48 feet from the top. about 40 feet higher then last year at this time. release at the dam is up to 40,000 cfs. the lake is filling quick with all the recent rain and the powers that be do not want it to fill to quick. looks like it could be another full lake come may. the baby is in her crib, soon to be awakened by the summer sun. make your plans now. enjoy

With no snowpack the level of those lakes will drop really fast come summer. :(

These warm storms are gonna cause more problems than just flooding in Guerneville.

Either way, we will be there. Biggrin.gif

Last summer we were there on my buddy's houseboat a few times, he keeps it at (Holiday harbor) ,and I have never seen the lake so full !

Hopefully next summer will be jut as nice...

...snowpack is 65% normal in the north, 104% in the central sierra.

So the central valley lakes are OK but Shasta, Oroville, Bullard's, Tahoe,...are screwed.

Right now they are looking poor, but the next series of storms will lower snow levels and should help out. With Jan-Feb being our wettest months typically no need to through in the towel just yet.

I was just reading a story about all the rain/surf/mudslides you guys are getting out West. Seems crazy with Texas/Oklahoma being as dry as they are. It will be Bush's fault before it's over (global warming) ROFL.gif

Well the snowpack is back. The northern Sierra 101%, 148 percent of for the central Sierra and the southern Sierra is at 195 % of normal. Therefore, unless the BR and/or the state manage the water poorly or a dry spring we should be good for water levels.

Well the snowpack is back. The northern Sierra 101%, 148 percent of for the central Sierra and the southern Sierra is at 195 % of normal. Therefore, unless the BR and/or the state manage the water poorly or a dry spring we should be good for water levels].

;)

Well the snowpack is back. The northern Sierra 101%, 148 percent of for the central Sierra and the southern Sierra is at 195 % of normal. Therefore, unless the BR and/or the state manage the water poorly or a dry spring we should be good for water levels.

Might be just a little premature to make a water judgement for the summer. Those percentages are for "normal to date" snowpack...One good pineapple express storm and that snowpack could be gone. Even without a warm storm, if it doesn't continue to snow...101% for January 5th is probably somewhere around 50% for March 5th.

Don't be so quick, Justin... Fingerwag.gif ...Bet you've heard that before... :lol:

Might be just a little premature to make a water judgement for the summer. Those percentages are for "normal to date" snowpack...One good pineapple express storm and that snowpack could be gone. Even without a warm storm, if it doesn't continue to snow...101% for January 5th is probably somewhere around 50% for March 5th.

Don't be so quick, Justin... Fingerwag.gif ...Bet you've heard that before... :lol:

Ah, the last sentance covered that. You don't do well at gambiling do you :lol:

You don't do well at gambiling do you :lol:

I don't know...what is gambiling? Dontknow.gif

Tease.gif

If by chance you meant gambling... :unsure: ...I do OK. On New Years Eve I turned $1000 into $5200. Biggrin.gif

You don't do well at gambiling do you :lol:

I don't know...what is gambiling? Dontknow.gif

Tease.gif

If by chance you meant gambling... :unsure: ...I do OK. On New Years Eve I turned $1000 into $5200. Biggrin.gif

So that would be actually $4,200 then?

Gee, you're quite the Math Whiz. Crazy.gif

Yes, I started with $1000, I ended with $5200, so that means that my winnings were $4200. Frustrated.gif

Wish it was real $$. :( Each guest got $1000 worth of chips to gamble with. Poker, Blackjack, Roulette, or Craps. Pro dealers, real tables,...it was cool. We had a "Las Vegas New Years" in Penn Valley (Pentuckey). :lol:

Gee, you're quite the Math Whiz™. Crazy.gif

Yes, I started with $1000, I ended with $5200, so that means that my winnings were $4200. Frustrated.gif

Wish it was real $$. :( Each guest got $1000 worth of chips to gamble with. Poker, Blackjack, Roulette, or Craps. Pro dealers, real tables,...it was cool. We had a "Las Vegas New Years" in Penn Valley (Pentuckey). :lol:

Your lack of clarity on earnings net vs. gross that's all. ;)

It's amazing how much those big mountain lakes draw down in the winter. We're behind on rainfall the last couple of months but our springtime "usually" makes up for everything.

What is the average depth for those lakes? Shasta, Orville, ect.....

I don't know about "average depth" - but Shasta is ~500ft at the dam, and Oroville is ~400 ish ... off the top of my head.

Usually running around (in the wakeboarding areas - not by the dam) with depths in the mid 100's

the shasta lake water shed produces about 7.5 to 8 million acre feet of water in a "normal" water year. the water shed extends all the way up into the state of oregon. the lake when full to the brim holds 4.5 million acre feet of water. ( 1 acre foot of water is 325,850 gallons). there is some movement afoot to raise shasta dam 18.5 feet higher. this would generate about 625,000 acre feet more storage behind the dam. this could be competed by 2014 if all goes well. mike

It's amazing how much those big mountain lakes draw down in the winter. We're behind on rainfall the last couple of months but our springtime "usually" makes up for everything.

What is the average depth for those lakes? Shasta, Orville, ect.....

Average is hard to say as in May it maybe closer to 300 feet whereas in September with the drawdowns it could be less.

I don't know about "average depth" - but Shasta is ~500ft at the dam, and Oroville is ~400 ish ... off the top of my head.

Usually running around (in the wakeboarding areas - not by the dam) with depths in the mid 100's

Troy, Oroville dam is 770' high, Shasta is 602' high, Folsom Dam is 340' high and Bullards Bar is 645' high.

the shasta lake water shed produces about 7.5 to 8 million acre feet of water in a "normal" water year. the water shed extends all the way up into the state of oregon. the lake when full to the brim holds 4.5 million acre feet of water. ( 1 acre foot of water is 325,850 gallons). there is some movement afoot to raise shasta dam 18.5 feet higher. this would generate about 625,000 acre feet more storage behind the dam. this could be competed by 2014 if all goes well. mike

Mike,

I know they we're researching the changes to all the CVP projects but I remember that 18.5' feet would cause one two much environmental damage and two inundate too much private property. They had some scoping meetings with the USBR but haven't concluded that 18.5 is feasible from a fiscal perspective. The interesting thing is that Shasta Dam could be raised another 200 feet as it was originally designed, but due to shortage of materials during WW II, they reduced it. USBR said they could always come back and raise it and since about 1978 they have been trying to just that. The fight over this is far from over especially from environmentalists. Another note if they raised the dam 18.5' houseboats would be stranded on onside or the other at crest of the I-5 Bridge. I know they decided that 7' would be the most feasible for Folsom, but I don't think a decision has been made yet.