Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Strong Board

BorderBoarder

Whats up Crew,

I know everyone is tired of which board to get posts but...I will be recieving my 3rd Ronix Viva 144 in the next few weeks from breaking them. The first one I bought was a 2010 that I broke in April this year, I liked the board alot coming from an '04 LF Substance. I recieved a 2011 Viva and the new shape is AWESOME, faster, smoother, better pop, better edging, the whole package, for me at least. I love this board but am afraid I am going to break another one.

Both boards broke in between my feet right in front of my rear foot while landing in the flats, one on a raley the other a tantrum. Both boards broke within the first 15 rides. I guess I land tail heavy but always thought that was how you are supposed to?? I have been wakeboarding for 15+ years so its not like I don't know what I am doing.

I am 6' tall 220-225 lbs and like fast smooth boards (never really loved the substance). The shop I am dealing with is really cool and I think they are going to allow me to do a trade on the warrantied board if I choose too. I don't want to be one of the contributors to putting a hurt on another wake company by sending warranty claims one after another. Also, I think Ronix is a great company and are doing awesome things for the sport.

My question is board recommendations, I am not against "flex/hybrid" boards but have never ridden one. The shop sells Ronix, LF, Hype, Byerly, and CWB. I have never been a fan on CWB. Obviously I need at least a 142 board but 144 would be a little better. They Byerly Conspiracy description reads good, not crazy about the graphics but that doesn't make it ride better/worse. Also the Ronix Phoenix project might be an option, thinking if its made to flex in tip/tail maybe it wont break as easy. Looking for a strong board for boat only riding.

I would like to try Slingshot Newton or Hooke or really Lyman Ltd ed, but they dont carry Slingshot . If someone wants to trade or work out a deal on a 142 Newton or Hooke for a new unused NIB Viva 144...

If you have board recommendations please tell me why you like the board and how it rides (fast, slow, edgy, loose, poppy, etc)

Thanks for listening

Whats up Crew,

I know everyone is tired of which board to get posts but...I will be recieving my 3rd Ronix Viva 144 in the next few weeks from breaking them. The first one I bought was a 2010 that I broke in April this year, I liked the board alot coming from an '04 LF Substance. I recieved a 2011 Viva and the new shape is AWESOME, faster, smoother, better pop, better edging, the whole package, for me at least. I love this board but am afraid I am going to break another one.

Both boards broke in between my feet right in front of my rear foot while landing in the flats, one on a raley the other a tantrum. Both boards broke within the first 15 rides. I guess I land tail heavy but always thought that was how you are supposed to?? I have been wakeboarding for 15+ years so its not like I don't know what I am doing.

I am 6' tall 220-225 lbs and like fast smooth boards (never really loved the substance). The shop I am dealing with is really cool and I think they are going to allow me to do a trade on the warrantied board if I choose too. I don't want to be one of the contributors to putting a hurt on another wake company by sending warranty claims one after another. Also, I think Ronix is a great company and are doing awesome things for the sport.

My question is board recommendations, I am not against "flex/hybrid" boards but have never ridden one. The shop sells Ronix, LF, Hype, Byerly, and CWB. I have never been a fan on CWB. Obviously I need at least a 142 board but 144 would be a little better. They Byerly Conspiracy description reads good, not crazy about the graphics but that doesn't make it ride better/worse. Also the Ronix Phoenix project might be an option, thinking if its made to flex in tip/tail maybe it wont break as easy. Looking for a strong board for boat only riding.

I would like to try Slingshot Newton or Hooke or really Lyman Ltd ed, but they dont carry Slingshot . If someone wants to trade or work out a deal on a 142 Newton or Hooke for a new unused NIB Viva 144...

If you have board recommendations please tell me why you like the board and how it rides (fast, slow, edgy, loose, poppy, etc)

Thanks for listening

I am 6-1 and weight almost 200 lbs. I've been riding LF Watsons for about 4 years now. I did break one, but I was landing real tail heavy over and over learning a HS Front, they swapped it out no problem. I tried the Ronix Viva 144 this spring, rode it once and loved the speed and pop, but my knees won;t hold up to those jarring landings. So, I got a Watson 143, very similar in speed and pop, much much softer landings. Just my 2 cents. The Watson classic only goes up to 142, but IMO has alittle softer landings.

I am about the same size as dino. I have broken LF and Hyperlite. I've seen several ronix boards break, but I've never rode one.

I currently am riding a Slingshot Recoil 142 behind the boat and a 138 at the cable park. I love both of them and love how the flex really softens the landings. I would HIGHLY recommend trying one. The only thing that will be a little tricky getting used to is the fact that you really have to dig your heels (or toes) for a good hard edge into the wake. Slingshots are slippery if you don't dig going into the wake.

Find someone in your area that has one and see if you can borrow it for a day? If not, how far is the closest dealer? I don't think you will be disappointed with a slingshot, but it is a decent amount of money to gamble. Its ultimately up to you...

I 2nd slingshot, Best board i have ever ridden hands down. I have a 142 recoil i ride in park and boat. I beat the Sh*t out of it in the park and it keeps on going. The landings are soft and recoil has great pop. You wont be disapointed in a recoil.

Dino7, so the newer Watson boards are faster? I guess I don't really have experience on his boards since the Substance and for the time it was a fast 3-stage, I think, but nothing like the Viva's.

CincyVLX and Prion, Slingshot is what I keep coming back to in my research, probably the new ballistic line though. The problem is I will need to try and sell the new one I get, which is no telling how long it will take, since the dealership doesn't carry Slingshot gear. Anyone know if the Hooke is pretty fast, all the reviewers just say "I love this board" or "its awesome", no real info. I figure it is if Lyman rode it initially but just curious.

I probably also should get some different bindings either way bc the '11 Sovens I have are replacements for the '10 Soven Ltd's and I have bent the base plates, not terribly but enough to notice and LF wasn't too interested in helping me out, but I understand to a point. If I do fork out for the Slingshot I don't want to mess up the binding track on them with boots that don't sit flush.

I would love to borrow or demo but I live 3+ hours from a dealer that carries Slingshot. If anyone here lives near Lake Amistad and has the gear and wants a boat ride send me a pm.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Dino7, so the newer Watson boards are faster? I guess I don't really have experience on his boards since the Substance and for the time it was a fast 3-stage, I think, but nothing like the Viva's.

CincyVLX and Prion, Slingshot is what I keep coming back to in my research, probably the new ballistic line though. The problem is I will need to try and sell the new one I get, which is no telling how long it will take, since the dealership doesn't carry Slingshot gear. Anyone know if the Hooke is pretty fast, all the reviewers just say "I love this board" or "its awesome", no real info. I figure it is if Lyman rode it initially but just curious.

I probably also should get some different bindings either way bc the '11 Sovens I have are replacements for the '10 Soven Ltd's and I have bent the base plates, not terribly but enough to notice and LF wasn't too interested in helping me out, but I understand to a point. If I do fork out for the Slingshot I don't want to mess up the binding track on them with boots that don't sit flush.

I would love to borrow or demo but I live 3+ hours from a dealer that carries Slingshot. If anyone here lives near Lake Amistad and has the gear and wants a boat ride send me a pm.

Thanks for the help everyone.

The new Watson shape is about as fast as the Classic, IMO. They switched to quad fin, and the bottom is alittle flatter, which I believe is why the landings aren;t quite as soft. I prefer faster boards, I think either Watson shape falls in that category.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, got the replacement Viva in last night, went out this morning excited..nice raley well into the flats-no sweat, big (for me) tantrum-cake, hard fall on ts front from over rotation-headache, small switch w2w 180 & cased the wake-crack! I felt it crack under my feet. If Ronix replaces this one I recon I will do a trade with the dealer for a Watson.

BTW, Justin at Dallas Mastercraft pro shop has been a tremendous help and very willing to answer all my annoying questions. Just a quick shout out for the great service in the watersports community.

I'm coming in late on this post but i'm interisting cause i've owned a 2009 138 ronix ibex and i broke it the same year i bought it! :(

It was a really good (in my opinion) because it gave me a lot of pop!

Now i'm on a 2010 138 LF PS4 and i love it! :love: It is faster than the Ibex, a little less pop but i think it is stronger (I'm riding the third year with it...).

I think it's strange to be some people to have broken their Ronix...

:salute:

I really do want to try the switch to Slingshot but I don't want to go through the process of trying and waiting to sell the Viva. If I had bought it at a shop that sells Slingshot and could trade, it would be a no brainer, but they informed me they have dropped all lines but LF and Ronix. I rode Liquid Force since the original Squirt came out but decided to try something new with Ronix last year. Like I said, I love they way the Viva rides, esp the 2011, but I guess that board and me don't get along otherwise. I know the Watson is a different rocker line but I have ridden 3-stage before and I've been told it is pretty fast compared to older 3-stage boards. Hopefully the LF will hold up like the older ones did...